It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donair

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Ricky is the kind of dude that I would have totally been hanging around with when I was young.

"Donair spice"...what is that?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Make you own cheese sauce! Like a Philly cheesesteak cheese sauce and use a mixture of cheeses.

After reading up on K.O.D. I was thinking shawarma. Then hopped over to doner kabob and yup, slightly different take and region but same concept. Then read a Donair recipe and thought, "condensed milk, sugar, white vinegar, and garlic powder"... ewwww! I would sub out that sauce for the above cheese sauce. You can also add jalapenos!

Btw, our local Krugers went through a make over early this year. They now have a little section that sells cheese curds. The garlic cheddar were awesome (called "vampire killer"!). I have chipotle cheddar now for my frozen burrito at work. Might have to go nuke one now! At the very least I need a napkin to wipe the drool off my face!

[ETA: Garlic fingers sounds like something right up my alley! Pizza dough, slathered in garlic butter, parsley, cheese, and bacon bits. Oh no! Bacon...]

edit on 7-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Bacon! Duh.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Edit: Just don't buy preshredded bagged mozzarella! Sick. Freeze a block of pizza style mozzarella for 30 minutes and shred it yourself

Just to give you a heads up on those from an industry standpoint, they are both pretty much the same thing, low moisture mozzarella. There are some better kinds but they are not even remotely close to the fresh style.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The difference in preshredded cheese and block cheese is oxidation. At least in my opinion. You can definitely tell the difference between the texture and flavor of a block cheese and a preshredded cheese.

Although more often than not, buying a bag of preshredded is a shortcut that ill actually take. LOL, my wife laughs that ill make the enchilada sauce from scratch, then just open a bag of shredded cheese. I broke the food processor attachment that shreds cheese, and lord knows I won't do it manually.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Totally agree. What I was trying to convey is that they start off the same way, as a semi-dehydrated version of fresh mozzarella. Pizzerias using this are looking to take a short cut of some type, whether not getting the ovens hot enough or wanting to save on food costs.

I do typically grate my own cheese. We were talking about the finger destroying mandolin the other day, next on the list is my insanely sharp cheese grater that likes to eat my knuckles.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

To me, the difference is added cellulose in the pre shredded kind.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
So today is the day. Watching the last episode of season 10 right now. When its done im heading to the store to get the for the donair and poutine.

oddly enough i feel a bit like Tom Arnold from the last few episodes. I should put on my track pants and crappy button up "bro" shirt.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I wanna see some pics when this is done, it sounds interesting.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

ill do a few.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I think it's fitting you're making these on Canadas Thanksgiving holiday.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I think it's fitting you're making these on Canadas Thanksgiving holiday.

It must be a sign.

Canada is now Far North Texas.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Made the donair. They were killer. Wife didn't like the sauce, so next time it'll be a garlic butter sauce instead. I served them with quartered angel sweet cherry tomtoes and some carmelized sweet yellow onion.

The cheese on the poutine was monterrey jack, and the fries were steak cut (i prefer steak cut...but these were a bit bigger than I wanted).

Here's a pic of the meat after it had cooked in the rotisserie:

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

That looks obscenely good. How did the flavor of the meat come out?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Obscenely good. My wife and oldest son are the pickiest eaters in the world, and they both decided we will make it again.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join