It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donair

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I have had the occasional deep fried pizza in batter. Affectionately know as a pillow.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Ok,Ok

I am not from Canada & never had a Donair. Just liked the history (looked good to me) I'd probably try em both
from Nova Scotia & Alberta if I got the chance.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

I think it's a pride thing for Nova Scotians, lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Probably goes well with poutine!

Same thing I thought when I read the description!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Wait until you have...DONAIR POUTINE!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I would recommend watching this video. I think the only difference is to substitute beef for lamb and 'donair' sauce for the tzatziki. He shows how to build a vertical spit if you want but also a viable technique to achieve an appropriate texture in the oven. The audio is messed up (play at 1.25 speed) you can also buy the episode if you want better quality.

to buy the episode www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Wha!???

Does anybody have some spare Lipitor?? I will need another twenty minutes on the treadmill from just reading that!

Yeah, us northerners do love our calories! But that is a new one on me! I'm over on the west coast and do not remember seeing these food stuffs while in BC. Now I know better and now know what to look for.

PS - Sorry about my confusion on being banned from trailer parks! That was my own misremembering correctly. Might have been said about a particular one and I made the unlogical leap to "all".

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

they started having trouble finding trailer parks to use as location due to complaints from trailer park tenants.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Maybe I'll fake a pregnancy craving and pick up donairs for dinner to show you guys.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Maybe I'll fake a pregnancy craving and pick up donairs for dinner to show you guys.

Can I use this fake pregnancy craving tactic to get my wife to pick me up some bourbon?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes. It's believable because, above all else, pregnancy mostly makes you want to get drunk.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Yes. It's believable because, above all else, pregnancy mostly makes you want to get drunk.

Understandable since that's typically how it started.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

this sunday we are doing a canuck meal of poutine and donair

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You gonna West Texas-up the poutine?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

well....cheese curd is impossible to find within 500 miles, so i may have to figure that out. Mozz is a good sub....oaxaca is similarly mild....brie may give me the creamyness though. any suggestions?

otherwise, i would like to make it more like "traditional". Well see how much the family complains (they aren't adventurous, and will balk at the brown gravy on fries deal I think)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I would go with the Oaxaca or Brie, I think the mozzarella will be too watery.

I like a good pepper jack myself which I am sure you guys can get as opposed to the processed crap up here. I suppose you could use blanco or fresco since they would look a little like cheese curds if you crumbled it on top.

So many choices, do them all.

edit on 7-10-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
My husband is a huge donair fan. Me..BLECH. You either like it or you don't. We went to King of Donair once, but there is a Lebanese family that runs a small store near us that hubby says makes it much better. They also do donair poutine, and donair pizza. Couple of months ago we bought the spice in the local grocery store, and it's actually quite good on homemade burgers.

As for the Trailer Park boys..I have seen Ricky and Julian a couple of times while filming in Truro. Bubbles is a wee bit more elusive...

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Brie will leech too much grease. Almost all donair shops here use the same shredded mozzarella that they use for pizza.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Brie will leech too much grease.

That's butter. And it's awesome.

Almost all donair shops here use the same shredded mozzarella that they use for pizza.

I didn't think about the pre-shredded kind of mozz when he mentioned it, I was thinking fresh mozz.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Fresh mozzarella would be too weird, Brie too fancy. This is essentially drunk people food.

Edit: Just don't buy preshredded bagged mozzarella! Sick. Freeze a block of pizza style mozzarella for 30 minutes and shred it yourself
edit on 7-10-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join