It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times: Don’t Intervene in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Although Russia has denied it, it is clear that Moscow considers Mr. Assad’s survival crucial to protecting its interests in Syria, which include combating jihadism, preserving intelligence and military assets, and asserting that Russia is a geopolitical player in the Middle East. Russia has unflinchingly protected the Assad government both militarily and at the United Nations Security Council.

Some of those advocating more intervention in Syria believe that as the so-called indispensable power, the United States has an ethical responsibility to reduce the suffering caused by Syrian and Russian bombing of civilians.
Don’t Intervene in Syria

I decided to post this article for two reasons:

1. It's a call for sanity, and that's important.

2. The concept of the emboldened sentence above is so ridiculous that I'm seething.

The United States will do nothing to stop the suffering in Yemen. In fact, all they're doing is supporting it.

“Why has Saudi Arabia been largely immune from direct public criticism from political leaders simply because they are a few degrees separated from the terrorists who are often inspired by the ideology their money helps to spread?” Murphy said at the time. “There’s growing evidence that our support for Saudi-led military campaigns in places like Yemen are prolonging humanitarian misery and aiding extremism.”

“There’s an American imprint on every civilian life lost in Yemen,” Murphy told CNN in August. “Because, though the Saudis are actually dropping the bombs from their planes, they couldn’t do it without the United States.”
Senator Chris Murphy: US support for Saudi Arabia 'can't be unconditional'

Quoting from the article directly above:

“US support for Saudi Arabia’s wars cannot be unconditional, especially when civilians are being killed and terrorist organizations are growing stronger,” Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, said after the vote.

U.S. Senator Chris Murphy was trying to force Saudi Arabia to stop killing civilians in Yemen. The U.S. government could have done that to some extent by enacting Murphy's law (no pun intended). The U.S. government wouldn't even do that to stop at least some of the suffering in Yemen.

Who can possibly believe the lie that the U.S. cares about Syrian civilian casualties when they don't care about Yemen civilian casualties?
edit on 7-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

As usual the main stream media conflicts with its own headline. 'Shouldn't intervene' followed by, 'some believe we should 'in order to "reduce suffering" caused by Russia and Syria.

Double speak from the ministry of truth.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I completely agree with you, apparently lives only matter when they support the reserve banking systems world view.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Major face palm.

I can't believe it. For the first time in the history of humanity, I actually agree with a NYT editorial.

I'm gonna need therapy.

On the bright side, neither of the POTUS candidates have the talent or the backbone to stand up to the Pentagon and do the right thing by exiting Syria and the ME altogether.

Buy.........Rathyeon, Lockheed-MartinMarietta and other big defense contractor stocks now and you'll profit handsomely in 2017!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Looks like the Chinese are in Syria although in the waters of . " Chinese navy Type 054 frigate "Ma'anshan" sudden appearance in ........twitter.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Alexander Haig: We are trying to de-escalise a war.

Margaret Thatcher: So am I. But you do not do it by appeasement. You increase its chances. You see this table? This was where Neville Chamberlain sat in 1938 when he spoke on the wireless about the Czechs as "far away people about whom we know nothing and with whom we have so little in common". Munich! Appeasement! A world war followed because of that irresponsible, woolly-minded, indecisive, slip-shod attitude and the deaths of 45 million people.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I guess the Yemen action is very much like that MASSIVE US military intervention in the Sudan. You know, the one where all of those Christian Sudan civilians were being slaughtered like sheep because they were not Muslims.

Oh, wait a minute. There never was an intervention by the US, was there? I'm sorry wrong simulation.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Linking the US to Yemen is also a wrong simulation since it is Saudi led and doesnt include the use of US combat forces.

With that said Syria asked Russia and Iran for help. Why cant the legitimate government of Yemen do the same?
edit on 7-10-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The situation in Syria is beyond fixing. The very best possible approach for the U.S. would be to totally separate itself from the Syrian situation and do everything it can to pin the atrocity on Russia. Start slipping damning intelligence to terrorist leaders and give them a new target for their frustration and animosity.

new topics

top topics

join