It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Dethroned - Inheritance is Protein-Based.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Time to re-write those biology textbooks. Inheritance is protein-based - it’s epigenetic, not genetic.

Long story short, it’s NOT our DNA and genes that determine our traits and biological destiny - it’s proteins. Specifically, prions, aka “intrinsically disordered proteins” that can “pass heritable traits from cell to cell by their structure instead of by DNA.” These prions -and the traits they confer- can be inherited;
in humans, some are conserved over hundreds of millions of years.

Revising the meaning of ‘prion’

...When the team examined the human cognates of the prion-proteins, the intrinsically disordered domains were conserved over hundreds of millions of years.

Intrinsically disordered proteins drive emergence and inheritance of biological traits

Prions (of Mad Cow disease fame) - and their role in evolution - have intrigued me for over a decade. Finally, the scientific proofs are rolling in.

Prions are all about rapid response to environmental change, and biological-evolutionary flexibility. Proteins can change their shape when they encounter new environmental conditions (external or internal) - when they do, they change their function, and can become infectious prions. Some prions cause disease; some (most?) are beneficial.

We all have inherited prion-based traits and memories of our ancestors’ responses to environmental changes - some dating back hundreds of millions of years. Our individual exposures can trigger a truly ancient memory-response - or one first developed by our great grandmother.

Cool, huh?

In summary:
* Inherited traits are passed on by prions - with some dating back hundreds of millions of years.

As well:
* Conscious memories are 'stored' in prions;
* Prions are airborne; and
* Transmitted human-to-human.

Does this information affect your understanding of life? Reincarnation and karma? What else?

(c) Lanie Patrick 9/6/16

ON ATS:

2011: Mad Cow Disease Agent Can Infect Via the Air

2012: Prion Proteins Play Powerful Role in Survival, Evolution

2014: Prion-Like Protein Controls Long-term Memories

2015: Mad Cow-Like Prion Disease - Human-to-Human Transmission

And then there's this:

2014: DARPA Funds Project to See How Meds Trigger Prion Diseases

NOTE: Big Pharma has been tinkering with proteins since 1950 when Linus Pauling identified the actin protein’s “a” and “b” shapes. But the pharmaceutical industry’s scientific results and knowledge are protected as “Intellectual Property” by “Confidentiality Agreements.” Including their ‘mistakes.’ [I wonder how many disease-causing prions they’ve ‘accidentally’ created and distributed over the past six and a half decades. (Think side-effects.)] Now though, the dam is breaking.

Now, the information is getting out into the public domain. Which is only fair considering we the public have been funding the research with our tax dollars and donations all the way along.

edit on 7/10/16 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

In summary: * Inherited traits are passed on by prions - with some dating back hundreds of millions of years. As well: * Conscious memories are 'stored' in prions; * Prions are airborne; and * Transmitted human-to-human.

Wow! Thanks for this. This could really change things in our understanding of humans and the world. I wonder if there are human to animal or animal to human prion transfer(s).....? Haven't heard from you in a while. Glad to see you back.
edit on 7-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Prions are also known to cause "Kuru" (a disease) when humans cannabalize each other

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Can prions explain so-called "instincts" actions outside of genetic dispositions?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So why have studies and experiments using DNA been successful?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa Before becoming a pharmacist I was a cancer researcher, and have personally done many DNA replication/amplification experiments that have worked in the sense that I could replicate certain wanted portions of a DNA strand for testing.

edit on 7-10-2016 by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

Probably because we're complicated organisms, and it's a little from column A and a little from column B like with most things.

People are obsessed with all or nothings.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Prions are also known to cause "Kuru" (a disease) when humans cannabalize each other

Wonder if this could take us to a zombie apocalypse.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman my bunker is ready

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
...This could really change things in our understanding of humans and the world. I wonder if there are human to animal or animal to human prion transfer(s).....? ...

Great question. Mad Cow disease does, of course - the science has focused on disease-causing prions - and it's clear transmission involves 'adaptation' by the prions' mutation into new strains. Generally, the evidence suggests that prions not only cross species barriers but also kingdom and other ones. ...Hindu notions of the hierarchy of reincarnations come to mind, as well as aboriginal experiences with shape-shifting.

Mad Rabbit Disease

2005: Mad Cow Disease Is Found In Goat

Mechanism of cross-species prion transmission

Efficiency of interspecies prion transmission decreases as the primary structures of the infectious proteins diverge. Yet, a single prion protein can misfold into multiple infectious conformations, and such differences in "strain conformation" also alter infection specificity.

Cross-kingdom chemical communication drives a heritable, mutually beneficial prion-based transformations of metabolism

...I am working on a (fictional) story that incorporates this information and ideas. I know ideas get stolen, and thought more than twice about posting but in the end my commitment to Open Access won out. ...This information and the related ideas NEED to get out.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I want the Water bear Dsup protein prion please!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Yes. The original 'communications strategy' blamed the brain-eating practices of the Fore for their prion-disease epidemic. However, information now in the public domain clearly establishes that prions are found throughout the body in other organs, muscles and so on - not just in the brain.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Interesting, and being ignorant to this topic, I have to ask--is the way that prions are used in a body passed on via DNA? I mean, is there a code that tells the body how to utilize the prions, and from that, the prions pass down the traits?

Wouldn't that still mean that inherited traits are still based on DNA, but utilize prions as their information delivery system in the body to actually apply these inherited traits in the individual?

I hope that this question makes sense.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Can prions explain so-called "instincts" actions outside of genetic dispositions?

I would think so. But first, imho, the term "genetic disposition" is inaccurate. Epigenetic mechanisms, memories and 'forces' are far more definitive in determining phenotype.

Otherwise, yes - seems to me that 'instincts' can be understood as ancient memories, and prion-related. However, how we choose to act on those memories and the knowledge conferred is on us. No easy out.

At the same time, our education needs to help us (and our children) to understand and accommodate this kind of knowledge - similar to the way tribal and other ancient cultures do.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

...is the way that prions are used in a body passed on via DNA? I mean, is there a code that tells the body how to utilize the prions, and from that, the prions pass down the traits?

No - that's the point here. Epigenetic mechanisms override the genetic code - and inherited prions seem to bypass it altogether. Here are a couple of clips about the initial creation of prions - the mechanisms involved with inherited prions are different.

…..Prions operate outside the canonical steps of molecular biology’s central dogma. As protein-based elements of inheritance, prions perpetuate not by changing the way that genetic information is transcribed or translated but rather by co- opting the final step in the decoding of genetic information—protein folding. A key feature of prion-forming proteins is their ability to exist in very different stable conformational states. In addition to a “native” nonprion conformation, they occasionally fold into a prion conformation that then replicates itself by templating the conformational conversion of other molecules of the same protein. These changes in conformation profoundly alter the functions of the proteins involved, resulting in phenotypes specific to each determinant protein.

Prions are classifiable as epigenetic regulators because they are able to modify gene expression through protein interactions, as opposed to first receiving “instructions” provided by nucleic acids.

Wouldn't that still mean that inherited traits are still based on DNA, but utilize prions as their information delivery system in the body to actually apply these inherited traits in the individual?

That's the standard eugenics-genetic argument, but no. As you know, humans have only about 20,000 protein-coding genes. That number of genes cannot even begin to explain the individual variety evidenced by our planet's human population. But epigenetics does - and by definition, epigenetic mechanisms operate above the genetic code.

Which is not to say the 10's of thousands of genes we share with other life forms are not important - just that it's epigenetics that accounts for the distinctions between us all.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey All proteins are made by transcription of DNA to RNA, and translation of that RNA into proteins. There are some post translational modifications to proteins through enzymatic processes, but that is how all protein is made

edit on 7-10-2016 by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

So, basically, they're the free thinkers of the body and they're out to stage a coup on the man (DNA) as they see fit.

Got it.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: SlapMonkey All proteins are made by transcription of DNA to RNA, and translation of that RNA into proteins. There are some post translational modifications to proteins through enzymatic processes, but that is how all protein is made

So DNA is the hippy and prions are the hippy kids who are allowed to do whatever they want without parental control?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey it kinda seems that way. If they can be passed on without the transcription translation pathway, and especially if they can "infect" other agents, that would allow them to bypass the normal mechanism of replication.......but then this foreign prion would and should be attacked by the immune system. IF they every conclusively prove the prion TSE connection it is something we should be concerned about for sure

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

So, identical twins don't get their similarities from their identical DNA, they just don't have the epigenetic variation most siblings have? Does that mean most identical twins don't have the same DNA?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join