It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Check: Donald Trump and the Central Park 5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Washington (CNN)Few people in New York City -- and, perhaps, the country -- who followed the news in 1989 could forget the "Central Park Jogger" rape case.

The brutal crime shook the city. A 28-year-old banker who had been jogging at night in Central Park was raped, bludgeoned with a rock and was found hours later, tied up, stripped and suffering from hypothermia and brain damage.

A group of five teenage boys who were in the park at the time and who may have been involved in committing other crimes were arrested for the assault. After extended questioning over two days -- during which the suspects claim they were deprived of sleep and food -- police say they confessed to the crime. None acknowledged actually raping the victim, instead pointing fingers at the others.

The viciousness of the crime, which came in the midst of New York's crack epidemic and a spiraling crime rate, coupled with the fact that the victim was white and four of the suspects were black and one was Latino, added to the city's racial tensions.

Two weeks after the attack, Donald Trump took out full-page ads in four of the city's newspapers with the blaring headline, "Bring Back The Death Penalty. Bring Back Our Police!"

cnn

The only evidence that convicted these 5 teenagers were the sworn and video taped confession's the 5 allegedly were coerced by police. This is all the evidence the police had against there guys.
Donal Trump responded to all of this:

"I want to hate these muggers and murderers," he wrote. "They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes. They must serve as examples so that others will think long and hard before committing a crime or an act of violence."

In 2002 another man confessed to this crime and DNA evidence backed up his story. The 5 men were exonerated and in 2014 the city of New York Paid them $41 million dollars. Did Donal apologize to these men?, no he doubled down like he always does.

"They admitted they were guilty," Trump said this week in a statement to CNN's Miguel Marquez. "The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same."

Since Trump obviously still believes that the Central Park 5 are guilty, it cannot be said he is lying or even misleading. But he is undoubtedly holding steadfast to an opinion in the face of DNA evidence to the contrary and the fact that the Central Park 5 have been exonerated by the legal system.

Even when evidence shows these men were not guilty of this crime, even though years were stolen from these men Trump still sees them as guilty! Trump called the settlement to these men as outrageous.

Here is the story of the central park 5

Do you think Trump should apologize to these men?

edit on 7-10-2016 by WilburnRoach because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Trump's an idiot-pompous and ridiculous. The arrested 5 weren't great guys to begin with. Safest place for them was jail-who knows what else they would have done-not being racist just going by the facts.

He'll be a weird president but Hillary is-well, just wow-much scarier.

Don't know if anyone can protect Trump from himself or us.

Hillary will be downright frightening.

edit on 7-10-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Trump's an idiot-pompous and ridiculous. The arrested 5 weren't great guys to begin with. Safest place for them was jail-who knows what else they would have done-not being racist just going by the facts.

Can you provide the facts???

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: WilburnRoach

It's on the internet. Who knows the truth? But I kinda suspect the truth about the 5. Sure there are many opinions about them-we'll never really be sure-just a hunch (wink wink).
edit on 7-10-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It's on the internet.

So you can't?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I don't think there will ever be conclusive anything about the future. I'm not commenting to stir up your apparent sensitivity to unknowns and just being a sjw. My comment stands for me. Judge as you will but you won't pick a fight with me. I don't go there.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I don't think there will ever be conclusive anything about the future. I'm not commenting to stir up your apparent sensitivity to unknowns and just being a sjw. My comment stands for me. Judge as you will but you won't pick a fight with me. I don't go there.

It's appalling to me that these guys were arrested and convicted for a crime they didn't do. The court of public opinion found these men guilty and Trump went along with it, inciting even more anger towards them. Then many years later we find out they were not guilty, yet Trump won't own up to it. Just like Hillary is guilty of everything under the sun, because of the right's court of public opinion.

They were teenagers, but the safest place for them was jail? But your not being racist? Like Trump isn't racist? Like his supporters are not racist?
edit on 7-10-2016 by WilburnRoach because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I don't hate Trump as much as you do, I guess. And that's okay. Calm down.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So the wrongful conviction of these kids is Trumps fault why? Do you troll the HuffPo for your latest post?
edit on 10am31amf0000002016-10-07T11:50:16-05:001116 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
So the wrongful conviction of these kids is Trumps fault why? Do you troll the HuffPo for your latest post?

Did I link HuffPo?
Yes Trump was apart of the court of public opinion, he did incite the public against these men, and it continues to this day.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Man, you are like clockwork. If you post it then it is in that rag. This is another hit piece that has nothing to do with the current election. Are you trying to make this a racist thing Trump did? Are you saying he should not have an opinion?

The court of public opinion? There was a rape. If the police said it was 5 youth that did it why would you not also call for them to be taken care of? At least there was a reason for him to say it unlike Hillary and her Super predator comment that was about ALL black people. You can also keep your deflection statement about Hillary because this involves her also. That is why you are posting these things.

He did nothing to incite the public. People were already pissed off. That time in NY history also included the year before the Tawana Brawely case. Do you know that one? Where the public did convict 4 kids of raping a black girl and it was a lie?

What is the point of this post?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Using the victims of this own words:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Calling for rapists to die? Sorry, I agree. What would have been a shame, as it has been for years, is that innocent people are locked up or vigilante killed by accident.

The story you should be writing about is the screwed up Justice system that convicted these boys not Donald Trump or Clinton.

Furthermore...how do you explain what those 5 said...

Antron McCray: “We charged her. We got her on the ground. Everybody started hitting her and stuff. She was on the ground. Everybody stompin’ and everything. Then we got, each—I grabbed one arm, some other kid grabbed one arm, and we grabbed her legs and stuff. Then we all took turns getting on her, getting on top of her.”

Kevin Richardson: “Raymond [Santana] had her arms, and Steve [Lopez] had her legs. He spread it out. And

Antron [McCray] got on top, took her panties off.”

Raymond Santana: “He was smackin’ her, he was sayin’, ‘Shut up, bitch!’ Just smackin’ her…I was grabbin’ the lady’s tits.”

Kharey Wise: “This was my first rape.”

Maybe they were talking about someone else they raped that night since if you looked into the case you would know they had assaulted and robbed other already that evening and the previous weeks.

Why admit to a crime you did not do...5 of them...in such detail?
edit on 10pm31pmf0000002016-10-07T15:19:51-05:000351 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Calling for rapists to die? Sorry, I agree. What would have been a shame, as it has been for years, is that innocent people are locked up or vigilante killed by accident.

The story you should be writing about is the screwed up Justice system that convicted these boys not Donald Trump or Clinton.

Furthermore...how do you explain what those 5 said...

Antron McCray: “We charged her. We got her on the ground. Everybody started hitting her and stuff. She was on the ground. Everybody stompin’ and everything. Then we got, each—I grabbed one arm, some other kid grabbed one arm, and we grabbed her legs and stuff. Then we all took turns getting on her, getting on top of her.”

Kevin Richardson: “Raymond [Santana] had her arms, and Steve [Lopez] had her legs. He spread it out. And

Antron [McCray] got on top, took her panties off.”

Raymond Santana: “He was smackin’ her, he was sayin’, ‘Shut up, bitch!’ Just smackin’ her…I was grabbin’ the lady’s tits.”

Kharey Wise: “This was my first rape.”

Maybe they were talking about someone else they raped that night since if you looked into the case you would know they had assaulted and robbed other already that evening and the previous weeks.

Why admit to a crime you did not do...5 of them...in such detail?

Calling for rapist to die is one thing, calling for those who are proven innocent is not! and this is what pisses me off with ppl like you, you are so fking nonchalant with other ppls lives, guilty or not grab someone, anyone who looked like them and kill them, this is the man after finding out they were not GUILTY!!!! said they are , denying dna evidence and a confession from the guy that actually did it, now some other dude Justso above you claimed they weren't great guys to begin with..heard that dog whistle so loud and clear it's deafening...tell me this how many males on the site were choir boys, I am willing to bet that just about everyone at one time or another did something worthy of jail time caught or not.
Why is this important for not voting for this rapey asshole???, he listens to no one, should he convince himself that China launched nukes and all his generals telling him no!!! it's a glitch mr president, he would go through with his launch because of his gut feelings , not facts laid out before him.

edit on 8-10-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join