It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a hypothetical survival situation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
the apocolypse has occured. Fortunately you're with a friend in their car and your way out deep in the woods on a forest road. YOu've been out there hiding out and avoiding the chaos in towns and cities. But then the car gets chased by a bunch of crazy's in a truck. Your friend tells you to jump out and save yourself, you do. He leads them away to who knows where as they continue to chase them.

Your left in the ditch fortunate to not have broken anything when you jumped out.

Your left deep in the woods on a logging road with just the cloths on your back and a light jacket. You're too far away from any towns, and you wouldn't want to chance trying to get to any as there's too much chaos happening in them. You have no survival supplies at all. What would you do to survive?

Please explain???

this will be you when the shtf
So forget this stupid fantasy about having a bug out bag with you. It's not gonna happen.
edit on 7-10-2016 by bigpatato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I'd find a water source, make some wooden tools, build a hideout/place to sleep, make a fire then go hunting/look around for some berries or some kind of food.

Next day I'd go looking for that friend and when found (hopefully alive) bring them back to my safe place, settle for the night and re-terrace our steps till were safe enough to live, possibly with others with us.

Don't know if it would work out like that but it's surviving.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Honestly kind of my plan in this scenario would be to erect what shelter I can before moving to find a town, my plan say for a (zombie outbreak) would be to head north to my grandfathers reservation at Frog Lake where I could find some family and people with survival skills, I'm not sure how well this would work in a nuclear scenario as it only just over 50 kms from CFB Cold Lake, and I'm thinking that's a good tactical nuke target.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato
As a type-1 diabetic, I'd probably find somewhere picturesque to curl up and die.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato Find a big hole into the ground and cover it with sticks, leaves, snow. Spend a cold night there. Then rush to the nearest village(probably back the road) for scavenging. Villages ALWAYS better than forest for survival. Unless there are hostiles there. Then you'll have to kick their ass and claim the spoils of war, our die like a coyote in the woods.

edit on 7-10-2016 by Argentbenign because: mobile

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

this will be you when the shtf So forget this stupid fantasy about having a bug out bag with you. It's not gonna happe

You won't survive with that attitude.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
the apocolypse has occured. Fortunately you're with a friend in their car and your way out deep in the woods on a forest road. YOu've been out there hiding out and avoiding the chaos in towns and cities. But then the car gets chased by a bunch of crazy's in a truck. Your friend tells you to jump out and save yourself, you do. He leads them away to who knows where as they continue to chase them.

Your left in the ditch fortunate to not have broken anything when you jumped out.

Your left deep in the woods on a logging road with just the cloths on your back and a light jacket. You're too far away from any towns, and you wouldn't want to chance trying to get to any as there's too much chaos happening in them. You have no survival supplies at all. What would you do to survive?

Please explain???

So, your buddy kicks you out into a ditch in the middle of nowhere with no gear, just because you are being chased and says " Save yourself." ???
Sounds to me like you need to re-evaluate who you would team up with, cause he just left you to die.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'd have a firearm so the second a truck full of crazies starts chasing me I would give them a good reason to # right off.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The details are rather vague, too far away from the nearest settlement? it would depend on the person but i've done 30 miles easy with a backpack in one day and we need details as being deep in bear country in the US is a whole lot of difference where I am in the UK for example.

Time of year, weather systems and other factors will be as important as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well,

1. I have a bug-out bag at work, and one in my car. But let's pretend I was robbed, or lost it when my "friend" kicked my out."

2. I carry 4 things in my pocket all day, every day:
a). a concealed carry pistol
b). a ferro-cerrium rod on my keychain
c). a micro multi-tool pocket-knife
d). a fold-out "credit card knife"

But supposing I had lost them all, or more likely, been robbed of them all. Fine.

You mentioned that were were being followed by a pickup, while in a sedan. That must mean we were on a road. So there will be some wire fencing on the far side of the bar-ditch. If this is "the woods," even a state park, the right-of-way will have been fenced off, even if the fence is old and crumbling.

I live in the southern US, except for some relatively small state parks, all of "the woods" in my area are some form or other of private property. Additionally, the weather is warm, and the temps won't get below 50 F for a couple more weeks. So I put meat ahead of fire. I can eat my steak "au tartare". And meat will take longer than finding water in my part of the world.

I'll walk along the right of way, looking for wire fence. In fact, the older and more rusted out the better. I'm not looking for strands of "bob wire", but for the much smaller diameter wire used to make repairs on fence by whipping the larger ends of a run of wire. I may be able to make a snare with some of this. I'm also looking for a culvert or a stack of irrigation or pipeline pipe stacked near the road; even a stack of fence posts.

Hopefully I find pipe. I'm looking down each pipe in the stack to find a cottontail (or six!) loafing in one. Because if I do, I take off my jeans and knot the legs. Then I'll tie my jeans over one end of the pipe, and then run to the other end and pick it up, tilting it up, and waiting for the feel of a rabbit or rabbits sliding down into my jeans! When I was a kid, this was the way we got rabbits to fill our gunny sacks (not jeans) if we hadn't shot any be suppertime. You have to check them to make sure they're not sick: the liver will show you whether the animal was ill. No sick rabbit has a healthy liver.

If it's a culvert, then things are about to get real. It might be a rabbit; but more likely my find will be a badger or skunk. Most folks don't know that a badger is mustelidae, the weasel family. They are weasels and all of them can spray you just like a skunk. You try to skewer the animal with the wire at your discretion.

As I walk along, I'm looking for trash; specifically plastic disposable bottles. Also glass or anything I can use as rope when I try to make a bow drill later.

Usually, I'd do water first, then fire next, then shelter, then food. But I find myself in your scenario in October, which is the ideal season for outdoor improvisation here in the south/southwest US. It rained, but is supposed to be sunny after for the next few days. So I need to capture all the puddled water I can find while I can. In the meantime I'm licking the water off of the tall grass that dominates the prairie here.

Later I'll rig up a lean-to against a tree base, and work on the components of a fire drill. In the meantime, I'm walking this road, trying to find a paved road or at least a crossroads where I can find more people. Or at least their stuff.

TTFN.

edit on 7/10/2016 by redempsh because: had to edit; I just saw the Fnords!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well if you say the cities are full of crazies,rioting and looting, I think I would crazy up with the best of them. Grab me a nice posh apt. on Park ave. LOL...

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Your not gonna be anywhere near your BOB when the shtf. You'll be somewhere far removed from it. You're only chance might be if you had something hidden away in a spot that you could get too. Which unless it's dry, the elements will eat your preps. It's not even worth it. your biggest prep will be your wit, skills, fitness and metal toughness, and maybe some help from GAMgty
edit on 9-10-2016 by bigpatato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: redempsh

hmmmm sounds pretty good. I think you passed.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Isn't this just a large necessary back story that was tacked onto the most common survival scenario since the invention of survival scenarios? In the woods with nothing...not exactly some strange or special scenario.
I would put a bunch of logs to block the road, maybe start a fire on the road. The "crazies" as you call them would probably use that road to get back. I would just hide on the side of the road and then splinter cell one of em when they stop to clear the road. One of them would have to relieve themselves at one point. Then i would harvest meat from his corpse. Maybe make a leather jacket out of his skin.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Lice000

I don't think you can eat that meat you'd get sick. That's what they say anyway. I wouldn't anyway.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
a reply to: Lice000

I don't think you can eat that meat you'd get sick. That's what they say anyway. I wouldn't anyway.

Why in the world do you think you could get sick from eating human meat? Dahmer and the donner party were just fine, and dahmer even ate the PP meat.

top topics

join