It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Companion: Kirobo Mini

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
On August 4th, 2013 Toyota, in partnership with JAXA, placed a fairly capable Pseudo-AI robot into space to keep Japanese astronauts company on the ISS.

Japan Launches Talking 'Robot Astronaut' Kirobo Into Space

Call it one giant leap for robot kind: A small talking robot launched into space aboard a Japanese cargo ship Saturday (Aug. 3) to keep astronauts company on the International Space Station.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched the humanoid Kirobo "robot astronaut" into orbit from the Tanegashima Space Center in southern Japan as part of nearly 3.5 tons of supplies and equipment to resupply the space station's six-person crew.

Kirobo was packed inside Japan's unmanned HTV-4 (Kounotori 4) cargo ship when it launched into orbit atop the country's H-2B rocket at 3:48 p.m. EDT (1948 GMT), though it was early Sunday morning (Aug. 4) Japan Standard Time at the time of liftoff. The HTV-4 spacecraft will arrive at the space station on Aug. 9.

Relevant ATS thread from the time

Today Kirobo is being released to the Japanese market as the Kirobo Mini:

Currently there is no English speaking(or any language other than Japanese) Kirobos available. But in the future, if the concept catches on, it could very well make it to the US and international markets. The little guy will sell for about $400.

I find this concept intriguing and would love to have a Kirobo of my own to experiment with. It is stuff like this that excites me about the future of robotics and AI research, as well as human interaction with (pseudo) AI systems.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

That's Chucky's next generation.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I dont mean to # on this...... but how is it a robot? Unless im missing something its in a fixed sitting position and only its head moves (left or right).

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

While cool I'm not getting a personal robot until It can make and bring me a cup of tea.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Some robots have only articulating arms. Others only have wheels.

Maybe look up the many kinds of robots and how they work.

It also follows your eye contact, can remember past conversations, and even read your facial expressions and act accordingly.

That's a robot man.
edit on 7 10 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join