It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Sheeps Wool into Bone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
New Zealand researcher, Dr George Dias at Otago University, has cultivated a material based on keratin that looks to replace methods currently used in bone surgery. Keratin is a protein that makes up fingernails and hair, as well as 95% of wool. Previous methods included transferring of bone chips from other parts of the body and the use of synthetics such as titanium. Both had their limitations in use that may be overcome with this new keratin based substance.

news.xinhuanet.com
WELLINGTON, Jan. 23 (Xinhuanet) -- A medical breakthrough has been made by New Zealand researchers who have created a material based on keratin -- a protein extracted from wool -- that looks set to revolutionize bone surgery, Sunday Star-Times reported Sunday.

Bones damaged by trauma or tumors are currently repaired using bone chips harvested from elsewhere in the body -- a process that causes its own complications -- or using synthetics such as titanium, which do not promote bone recovery.

The new material is strong enough to form a structural repair, but is gradually absorbed by the body and encourages fresh bone togrow back.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It never ceases to amaze me the wonders we as humans are capable of. New Zealand researchers have essentially found a way to "toughen" up hair. I don't see any reason for an expansion on this research to not include viable alternatives to some consumer goods as well - maybe replace plastic in some cases as we are getting to the point where we may need to address such a possibility. The sky's the limit and though I may be a bit overambitious in potential applications, it just goes to show you the ingenuity of mankind.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Great!

Now all we got to do is some reverse engineering and make soft wool coat from toenailclippings...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Great!
Now all we got to do is some reverse engineering and make soft wool coat from toenailclippings...

Yuck, like plastic bottles can go into polarfleece, I can see a whol cottage industry based around toenail and finger nail clippings.

AT anyrate, wool is an amazing substance and im not surprised that they have found a medical aplication for it.

new topics

join