It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Put your prayers in the dumpster where they belong

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yawn..,

Another I hate God thread.

That's right you got it all figured out.

Don't be wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Let it be known I am with no cult and or religion. I am my own religion. I believe in something greater than myself and find power in all ancient teachings including but not limited to the Bible. I love philosophy. My favorite philosopher is Manly Hall.

With all that said I want to tell you OP that there is something in the power of prayer and I hope one day there is proof for you in your experimentation of said prayer/meditation.

We have so much power.... and we have no idea just how much we have.

"Be careful what you ask for" has been my experience with prayer. Prayer within my own life works when I work it. Your intent is unbelievably powerful. Tap into it...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

OK they aren't praying to change their God's plan, for any believer will tell you that his plan is set in stone. Prayer at a time such as this is more for protection. If you've ever listened to prayer then you'd know that when people pray they aren't asking to change things they're asking for guidance and peace and hope.

Earth isn't in a sad state because of some people praying to a God that may or may not be real, earth is in a sad state because of folks like YOU. How about instead of getting so irate over a little positive thinking why don't you put a little out yourself?
edit on 6-10-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

While I agree with you in general, dont discount the placebo effect ie the power of the mind.

Can Prayer Heal?

All the patients were followed for a year, and then their health was scored according to pre-set rules by a third party who did not know which patients had been prayed for and which had not. The results: The patients who were prayed for had 11 percent fewer heart attacks, strokes and life-threatening complications.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
"I've posted about this topic before, how absolutely stupid praying is and how it hurts humanity in general. Today an even stupider example of this has shown up."

Well the don't pray.
It's your choice to pray or not.

But to tell others not to, is like snatching a teddy bear away from a child.

Both prayers and said Teddy Bear, help people find comfort and that helps them through stages in their lives.

It's nobodies job for anyone to tell someone how to get though this life.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

Exactly.

Trump said that?

I guess I'm religious but I don't attire to any conformity, It's a bit of a leap to say prayer is useless to religious people are destroying the world.

I agree with you on the issues and challenges we face with an ever changing world and climate, I don't think it has anything to do with religions though. Quite the opposite in fact, from what I've gathered in history it's tended to be the religious folk who opposed change and scorned scientific and industrial endeavours.

Pollution and destruction of habitats isn't new either, human history is literally scattered with cases of us overstepping our bounds and making huge swathes of land and rivers unsustainable. In short we are dirty sods and always have been. The problem is our growth, science and technology is the one that sped our growth up and it also gave us the means to sustain ourselves in locations it would normally be unfeasible to live.

Religion didn't cause this mess.

If it did then why is China the worst polluter, a place in recent history that isn't religious at all?

Money, that's the answer. We could have went nuclear years ago, in the short term it's a lot cleaner than fossil fuels. Uranium though just like all minerals and metals has a "cut off" point where it becomes unprofitable to mine. It's always been about cost.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What an ignorant OP. Have you never heard of a morale boost?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

They can pray all day long every day from now until they die. These hurricanes will be increasing in power as the problem that is causing them is not only ignored but sped up by their total lack of action.

There is evidence, there is proof, there is fact.

So basically, the problem isn't prayer per se but rather the incense which is burned to "lift the prayers to heaven". Global carbon (C) emissions from fossil fuel use were 9.795 gigatonnes (Gt) in 2014. (source www.co2.earth... ).

So the people burning the fossil fuel incense are then praying that the natural effects and impact of their incense be cancelled out. That's ironic.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I don't like religion very much but I wouldnt belittle someone that wants to try and be positive about a situation.

I do think the prayers won't cause a higher power to directly interven but I do think thinking positive goes a long way.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Why is this in the religion and faith forum, shouldn't it be in the Rant or some Science forum as it's not really a discussion of faith but your take on soundbytes from that very important snapshot of life called "Twitter"

I am constantly seeing shows on TV

So not only Twitter but you have broadened your education with that important electronic box called a TV,

And now as a solution to your misery (self inflicted I might add) you're advocating genocide of religious folk?

and we all have to suffer as they poison our air, our water, our land because they think their scummy god is going to help em out.

hey dumpmaster, your the king of "dumps"

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

When a group gets together to do a "Group Prayer" that they're actually praying for "more calamity" e.g. The Preacher says "Lets all focus on those who are in battle dealing with death and destruction etc. etc. " and while they're doing this they're actually in contact with their "Higher Selfs" and the Higher Self recognizes this as a "desire" that the person in Prayer is WANTING death and destruction.

Its called the law of attraction - by focussing on your fears you manifest them

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It's all so contradictory and absolutely stupid beyond belief.

hahaha - you used that "magic" word belief. You are no different then what you criticize

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
People pray in all sorts of ways. I'd say mostly they pray for strength to handle what is beyond their control, and for intuition to get them through. Maybe people are praying for the perseverance of those affected by this hurricane. Believe it or not, people that pray can feel overcome with peace in even the toughest situations. Perhaps folks are praying that even if this be his or her end, give them peace as they pass on.

The religions of the world do not have ownership of God.

And, mankind has free will and collectively holds responsibility for the state of things here on Earth. Nature has it's own harmony that is affected by humans. God didn't point to Earth and send this storm. Things happen. Their are micro-connections we don't get to know.

Not to mention, many studies have confirmed the power within collective consciousness.

Praying for you, praying for them

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Yah, dump it in Gods lap. That way if anything goes wrong, "it was gods will". And if anything goes right its, "our prayers were answered".

Churchianity provides a marvelous excuse for people that don't actually want to lend a hand, they just 'pray about it'.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not lol.

It's complicated. Incense has been traditionally used as a visible representation and aid in prayer as a means for them to ascend to the god(s). I wasn't able to find a carbon neutral source for incense.

edit on 6-10-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Churchianity provides a marvelous excuse for people that don't actually want to lend a hand, they just 'pray about it'.

"...faith without works is dead".
James 2:17

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster
These hurricanes will be increasing in power as the problem that is causing them is not only ignored but sped up by their total lack of action.

Yes, you guys have been saying this for the last 11 years and ever since there has been a dramatic DECREASE in hurricanes hitting the US.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

keep generalizing considering I have family and friends who with their church go to the poorest places on earth to help.

even as an atheist myself the ignorance and hate for a group of people disgusts me so much I don't even call myself atheist anymore

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join