It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug-out-bag help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Also...

I live in philadelphia. I have a car and a motorcycle.

For some reason ( I must have read it somewhere) I always think that if its ever time to "bugout" to head north.

Now I know first off to try to head away from where the danger is.

But is north the best place to head to?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kazber

Look at the Peterson's Field Guides... Available on Amazon. I have four in my BOB:

A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North America

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America

A Field Guide to Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs

A Field Guide to Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants: North America North of Mexico

Never hurts to have some good references.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Gillnet, gun, knife, potasium iodine, iodine, bandages, field surgery kit, skin stapler, duct tape tarp, blood clotting bandage, antibiotic, anti fungal, anti diarea, more paracord, tent stakes, mirror (signalling), waterproof matches (in case striker is damaged), meat thermometer, can opener, first aid manual, plant identification manual (edible fungus/berries/roots) , sunscreen, anti itch, insect repelant, bear grylls.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

Thank you

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

Mirror, yes, thanks.

Bear is on my zombie survival team.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just search 'bug out bag' on youtube. There are hundreds of vids on them.
Dont forget water filtration.
The UrbanPrepper for the urban environment is a good start and he also provides a down loadable PDF of his systems. Or Wildernessoutfitters for rural.
edit on 6/10/2016 by Ngatikiwi because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/10/2016 by Ngatikiwi because: add stuff

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
In my kit, I also include a length of tubeing 6' because if motorized and off road, you might need a siphon.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Ramen noodles are a horrible idea, no offense. They contain almost no actual nutrition.

You do better to pack as many high calorie meal replacement bars as you can.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If possible drones or a couple may help with faster land surveying and hunting and security if equipped with infrared for night travel overseeing and hunting...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Tubing, yes!

Another thing I didn't think of.
Binoculars also.

And for fun I want to get a nice pair of goggles.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Don't forget a small stainless steel/aluminum metal pot to boil water or cook in. Poweraid bottle as a canteen on the cheap too.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Magnifying glass.

A good one. This will give you the ability to perceive small things, like splinters in your skin for example, and it will allow you to light fires during periods of strong sunlight, even in very windy conditions, without using any petroleum derivatives of any kind, as long as you have decent kindling and know what you are doing.

Sewing kit.

Your clothing, and carry systems like webbing, bags, packs and other sundry kit, will wear over time. Much of the stuff that is marketed toward tough, outdoors living is solid enough, but nothing lasts for ever. Getting a decent needle and thread together, good, sharp scissors, these will help you prolong the life of any and all your fabric based materials and gear. It will also do to close a wound in an emergency, although great care must be taken to sterilise any wound before closure, and anything that is going to go into that wound to close it. Getting hold of some decent suture would be an idea for this.

Exercise book and pen/pencil.

Depending on how long you intend to be on the move for, and whether there is a chance you might have to return using the path you already walked, it can be a good idea to make a note of what happened along the way. If you come across a patch of mushrooms that were good for eating, and did not make you sick, make a note of it. If they did make you sick, make a note of that too. Same with berries, nuts, experiments you might have done with leaves and so on for broths, teas, and so on. Make careful notes when preparing foods for the first time, so that mistakes are remembered as well as successes.

You can also make note of helpful way point markers, which might not be apparent from the map you are reading. For example, not all pathways through a woodland or a moor are marked on a map. Making note of uniquely shaped rocks, lightning split trees, their positions relative to known map co-ordinates, can speed up navigation through areas, and take the guess work out of it. This may save you time later. Having a notebook will also allow you to make note of any fauna which you come across, and where you located them. In the event that these may be potential prey for you, knowing where to find them later without racking your brains, may allow you to score some good meat. In the event that the animals involved are predatory, knowing their location well can allow you to avoid the territory or find ways around it that involve little interaction with them.

Having an exercise book around will also help you to make calculations relating to a host of outdoorsy type situations, if you have the mathematical head for them, including working out how large your ration of food can be, given what you have assembled, and how many mouths in your party. It will also allow you to make notes about the conditions you experienced and how you survived them. Having something to refer back to can be VERY helpful when your brain is starved of nutrition and all you want to do is throw yourself down on the ground and sleep. It avoids having to rely on frazzled nerves and memory for every last little detail.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
bug out bags a false sense of security. That's all it is. You won't need it, you won't have time to get it, just a waste. Maybe if you had a cabin or something, okay sure have one there. But otherwise I'd say it's a waste of time and effort. You'll make it, have it for a little while, then evetually they'll be dismantaled and you'll forget about it all.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Petroleum jelly and cotton balls to make your own quick and easy fire start is one thing I'd carry. I have some in my BoB. I also keep fatwood and the shavings as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a bug out diaper

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What I have in my b.o.b..or actually, my b.o.d (bug-out-dog) is carrying it for me, is a tackle box in a pouch, filled with essential electronics, attached to his K-9 molle-system harness.

In the box/pouch I have:

Thread (for making trip wires etc.)
Rechargeable batteries
USB charger for the batteries
Crank generator with USB
Wire
LEDs
Piezo buzzers (for simple alarms etc.)
Scrap metal (great for making connectors, swithes, triggers etc.)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A few more things to think about

1.) This is really important, where do you plan to go? If you're traveling on foot you should know your destination before you set out

2.) Good hiking boots/shoes. Once again if you are traveling on foot, you need good shoes.

3.) Multi tool. You never know when you may need to fix something or take something apart.

4.) 6-10 candy bars or nutrition bars. These should give you some calories to keep going for a bit.

5.) mountain bikes with panniers. You can move a lot faster and farther on a bike and carry much more food. You should have food for quite a while if you don't have a stocked destination in mind

edit on 6-2-2017 by Wildbob77 because: Added one more item

top topics

<< 1   >>

join