It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Thanks. And yeah, it's exactly the same type of situation. The semantics and other differences in interpretations can be minuscule or massive, depending on both the sect and the individual. That's why it's practically impossible to lump us together into one group.

And "Sharia law" is literally just the accepted religious rulings and laws of a specific region. It takes the stuff I mentioned before, and then adds specific regional traditions and rulings on top of them. It's basically a combination of that sect's interpretations of the Qur'an, their interpretations of some Sunnah, their interpretations of some Hadith, and their interpretations of some historical rulings; then they may add any regional traditions or beliefs that aren't determined to conflict with the sources mentioned above. That's why Muslims generally ask something like "What version of Sharia?" when people start railing against it.

And "Fatwas" are basically just glorified suggestions. They are the equivalent of a specific pastor or church declaring that yoga pants and the "Pokemon Go" game are blasphemous and should be banned. That specific pastor's congregation may feel obliged to follow that verdict and other Christians may agree with it. But that doesn't mean that the verdict is official or binding for Christians as whole.

In practice, most of us are too concerned with our daily lives to become deep religious scholars. So most of this stuff doesn't really matter. I stopped caring about the differences in most of the denominations a long time ago, generally only caring when someone's trying to force those beliefs onto others.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That makes perfect sense. Your comparisons to Christianity practice are extremely helpful to me. And I am a little surprised just how much the two religions have in common.

The Sharia Law issue is based on fear, period. Many of the Middle Eastern countries associated with Islam are effectively theocracies. That is the scary part to most, not the fact that the religion is Islam. I really believe most people deep down realize how dangerous any religion can be if left to human greed and vagrancy.

I have made the statement many times that I do not want Christianity to be officialized; it would destroy the heart of the religion (freedom of choice) and would likely be ruled by someone less informed than anyone would want. I feel the same way about Judaism, Islam, Hindu, Sikh... all of them. So when the thought of integrating a religion with government arises, it worries me.

That is NOT to say a theocracy in America is the goal of Islam. I do not believe that. But I do believe that at the present moment in time, most terrorists are also fanatic Islamic extremists. That is a problem that we all need to work on together, because it affects all of us.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

" Sorry, Mrs. Edmisten, but the state INSISTS that your daughter be cultured. You'll just have to reconcile that between you and the lord. "

The Woman was Voicing her First Amendment Right of Freedom of Speech .You do not have to Agree or Disagree with what she said , only acknowledge that she has a Right to Voice it .

The State has No Right to Insist or Impose Any Teachings on a U.S. Citizen , Period .

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

The State has No Right to Insist or Impose Any Teachings on a U.S. Citizen , Period .

This is absolutely false. Do you know what "compulsory education" is? It's literally legally required schooling/teachings. And guess who decides the curriculum? Here's a hint: you claimed it doesn't have the right to insist or impose any teachings on a US citizen.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

The semantics and other differences in interpretations can be minuscule or massive, depending on both the sect and the individual. That's why it's practically impossible to lump us together into one group.

Which should come as absolutely no surprise with a little thought.

Lumping large groups, and Muslims are a very large group, is totally impossible. Yet we do insist upon trying. Then getting upset when the fallacy of our attempt is pointed out.

Sometimes it's enough to make one swear off of people totally, and live in a cave high up in the mountains.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Yes they do. All sorts of laws say just that. You have to meet certain standard even if you are home schooling. Been that way for some time now.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

" Sorry, Mrs. Edmisten, but the state INSISTS that your daughter be cultured. You'll just have to reconcile that between you and the lord. "

The Woman was Voicing her First Amendment Right of Freedom of Speech .You do not have to Agree or Disagree with what she said , only acknowledge that she has a Right to Voice it .

Yeah, and I have the SAME First Amendment Right of Freedom of Speech to make fun of her for voicing a stupid opinion. Isn't freedom great?

Which article of the Constitution says that?

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Religious Studies are not " Compulsory Education " in Public Schools , that would be Unconstitutional .

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Religious Studies are not " Compulsory Education " in Public Schools , that would be Unconstitutional .

Define religious studies, because I can guarantee that YOUR definition doesn't match up what is being taught at the school in this OP.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I agree. Depending on the estimate, there are almost as many Muslims worldwide as their are people in Europe, North America, and South America combined. We live in nearly every country, don't speak the same languages, and don't even share the same cultures.

There are probably as many dialects of Arabic as there are of English; and most Muslims aren't even Arabs (or speak Arabic). In fact, there are more Muslims in Nigeria than there are in Saudi Arabia, and there are slightly more Muslims in Indonesia and India combined than there are in the entire Middle East combined.

I think it just boils down to accepting that we're all just humans. I don't accept the concept of superior nor inferior humans because we all have our strengths, weaknesses, and quirks.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I disagree. Laws are not rights; rights are in the Constitution, not statutes. The state, I believe, has a DUTY to educate the people, but that does not imply a duty to indoctrinate.

The question is, what is education and what is indoctrination? Teaching a religion is indoctrination IMO, but teaching about a religion is education.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

True but I bet y'all don't have any Arabic dialects that compare with Southern English!

(Sorry, just wanted to throw some levity in here.)

TheRedneck

edit on 10/12/2016 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is why anyone who tells me that Muslims HAVE to worship their religion a certain way and that moderates aren't Muslims and all that other tripe, it is a bunch of stinking bs. They have no right to say who is and isn't Muslim. Especially since they aren't even Muslim.

What you are not aware or refuse to take notice of are the rules and regulations of any religion. This bodies of laws are made or adopted by the relevant clerical authorities. They are not spontaneous, ad-libbed acts created by ordinary people.
edit on 12 10 2016 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: surnamename57

This is why anyone who tells me that Muslims HAVE to worship their religion a certain way and that moderates aren't Muslims and all that other tripe, it is a bunch of stinking bs. They have no right to say who is and isn't Muslim. Especially since they aren't even Muslim.

What you are not aware or refuse to take notice of are the rules and regulations of any religion. This bodies of laws are made or adopted by the relevant clerical authorities. They are not spontaneous, ad-libbed acts created by ordinary people.

Yeah. So? That still doesn't mean you get to dictate as a non-Muslim who is and isn't Muslim. If you can do that then I can dictate who is and isn't a Christian when they tell me that Muslims are evil terrorists.

If someone disobey's various Muslims rules and laws (rules and laws which have already been pointed out by EnlightenedServant that people like you don't understand or don't fully know yourselves) and still calls themselves a Muslim then it is no different then a person who doesn't go to church every Sunday, never prays, but still calls himself a Christian.
edit on 12-10-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yeah. So? That still doesn't mean you get to dictate as a non-Muslim who is and isn't Muslim. If you can do that then I can dictate who is and isn't a Christian when they tell me that Muslims are evil terrorists.

If someone disobey's various Muslims rules and laws (rules and laws which have already been pointed out by EnlightenedServant that people like you don't understand or don't fully know yourselves) and still calls themselves a Muslim then it is no different then a person who doesn't go to church every Sunday, never prays, but still calls himself a Christian.

You can't have it both ways, ignoring the rules and pretending to be a follower.

When I call them fake muslims I'm referring to their rules and practices.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

You can't have it both ways, ignoring the rules and pretending to be a follower.

Well people do it all the time with EVERY religion on Earth. Take it up with them. I'm an agnostic atheist. I have no problems following the rules of my beliefs.
edit on 12-10-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Atheism means non-belief. By the way, I am an atheist too, Eastern Christian by background. We are talking about religion though.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: surnamename57

I know what it means to be an atheist. People's hypocrisy towards the laws their religion requires them to obey is one of the reasons I stopped being religious, but regardless if they want to be hypocrites then that is their perogative. If you don't want to call them Muslims, don't, but they DO call themselves Muslims. So when you start disparaging the violent Muslims then you should make sure to separate from the non-violent ones.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I know what it means to be an atheist. People's hypocrisy towards the laws their religion requires them to obey is one of the reasons I stopped being religious, but regardless if they want to be hypocrites then that is their perogative. If you don't want to call them Muslims, don't, but they DO call themselves Muslims. So when you start disparaging the violent Muslims then you should make sure to separate from the non-violent ones.

I have never considered real muslims as violent muslims. What worries me about them is, as I have stated above in this thread, their fanaticism, which in some ways serves as a starting material for jihad. A small number of them are exploiting the extreme religiosity of the largest part to carry out their eerie jihad.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

A small number are using the religion to excuse their fanaticism.

The issue seems to be that, at present, most of the fanatics committing terroristic actions appear to be Muslim. That causes me to believe there is a cult of violence within the religion, just as there has historically been with Christianity. The solution is to surgically remove the cult, not to condemn the religion.

Islam is not the problem. Violent fanatics are the problem.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join