It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
The basis and overview of all major religions should be covered in school, so kids know what is out there, and are able to speak somewhat intelligently about the features of each. We are not talking depth, or certainly not preaching or favor-ability of one over the other, because these are biased views that have no part in education. Keeping kids in the dark about the religions of the world only hurts them.

I agree completely with that. Hope nobody thought otherwise.

There should be no need to require a student to memorize and recite what is said to profess conversion to those religions, though. The idea of a public school doing that and then hiding it from their parents is much more than offensive. It is a violation of constitutionally guaranteed parental rights by the state.

To add insult to injury by banning an honorably discharged Marine from his daughter's graduation was indefensible.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: surnamename57

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: dawnstar

If you disagree, then unfortunately you have no idea what a Muslim is.
Moderate muslims are fake Muslim.

Are you joking or are you actually serious? Because this is supremely ignorant and not to mention arrogant.

I know it's a late reply, but I was so busy yesterday.

The country where I come from consists of about 70 percent muslims. They used to be and still are for the most part very "moderate". They drink alcohol, don't pray Allah, don't attend mosques, eat the flesh of swine, allow their women to marry us, Christians, and a lot of other Harams prohibited by the Quran and Shariah. No hijab, nothing.

Yet they call themselves Muslim, are proud of their religion and celebrate Ramadan Bajram and Kurban Bajram (Eid-Ul-Fitr and Eid-Ul-Adha), even make the pilgrimage to Mecca.

So, are they real Muslim? If you want to ask this question to their Ulamas (scholars), you will be answered no. They are fake Muslim or "moderate" Muslim.

The problem with your type of people is that you read any kind of books and writings, allow yourselves to being "progressively" stimulated, but lack practical contact with facts.

If you are not able to travel and observe, you better keep silent and don't make others look at you with contempt.

Who cares what those Ulamas say? They aren't the end all be all of what is Muslim. You can say these very same things about Christians and Jews who do the same things. Because both of those Abrahamic religions also have edicts in their holy books that they ignore to live in modern life.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
No. I don't deny that religion when in control makes people act like assholes, but this is true of all religions. However when you place it into a secular society, then it becomes much tamer. Just look what happened to Christianity. I don't know why you haters refuse to believe that Muslims can't live the same way. I mean they already do live like us since there are tons of American Muslims that have integrated just fine into American society.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Veritas83
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Religion should not be taught in a public school at all. This keeps the students from being indoctrinated and learning false information. Public schools are government run daycare centers.

Kids aren't going to be indoctrinated away from your religion just because they receive a one week class on another religion. Don't worry, your own religion has probably already done a better job of indoctrinating your kids every Sunday than anything a public school could ever do.

With all that said, had this teacher been teaching on the Christian religion, the ACLU and other hateful people would be in an uproar and you know it.

From the op:

According to the state board of education’s website, those standards include educating students about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism in 6th grade, and Islam in 7th grade, “including Islam’s historical connections to Judaism and Christianity.”

Maybe next time, try reading the article in the OP before opening your mouth to stick your foot in it.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornShucker

a reply to: hutch622

Why is that? There are plenty of American Muslims happily learning about the history of Christianity in American public schools.

Are they being told that in the study of Christianity it will be a course requirement to memorize and recite aloud the "Sinner's Prayer" in front of the class? Here is the Billy Graham version, "Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen."

For believing Christians, child or not, it is every bit as offensive to be forced to recite the Shahada, "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his only prophet."

This is one of those issues has convinced me that even those defending this kind of stuff know, deep down, that it's just plain Wrong!! Just a few years ago the same people would have been screaming bloody murder over Seperation of Church and State. Now that one group has been selected as deserving "special consideration" in spite of past precedent, the wishes of parents that want to exercise their freedom of religion within the family are having that constitutionally protected right denied them.

What are you babbling about? No one is making the kids recite prayers in class.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Miracula2

Islam calls for the execution of people who will not convert.

Christianity's bible calls for the same thing.

Btw: I cut the rest of your rant because I don't care about your feelings towards Muslims.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
"Who cares what those Ulamas say? They aren't the end all be all of what is Muslim. You can say these very same things about Christians and Jews who do the same things. Because both of those Abrahamic religions also have edicts in their holy books that they ignore to live in modern life."

As far as I can see, you don't get it.

The only difference is that real muslims, who make up a large part of Muslim world population, are extremely religious and their present-day fanaticism in some ways serves as a starting material for jihad.

That's why I make the distinction between real and fake or "moderate" muslims.
edit on 10 10 2016 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: surnamename57

No. You make a distinction because you refuse to believe that the Muslim religion can pick and choose what to listen to within its books like Christians and Jews can do, so you make an appeal to authority of Muslim scholars because they happen to agree with you. THEN you tell me that "I don't get it," because I don't agree with your opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Ah... the fake Christians who support war and hate black, latino, and Muslim minorities in their locality get a pass do they?

I have nothing but pity for such shortsightedness as you seem to have on these issues.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Take pity on yourself and next time learn how to look at the context in which something was said.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Apparently, you haven't heard of Reformation "as a vast cultural upheaval, a social and popular movement, textured and rich because of its diversity." Otherwise you wouldn't believe in this kind of paralleisms.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Apparently, you haven't heard of Reformation "as a vast cultural upheaval, a social and popular movement, textured and rich because of its diversity." Otherwise you wouldn't believe in this kind of paralleisms.

*eye roll*
Life Under The Shah: What Iran Looked Like Before The Islamic Revolution

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I always look at things with their context, social and historical in mind. Failure to do that on the part of the majority, tends to empower those who seek to divide populations in order to control populations voting habits.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21356733]Krazysh0t

Perhaps Iran presents a specific case. According to Bernard Lewis,"Iran was indeed Islamized, but it was not Arabized. Persians remained Persians. And after an interval of silence, Iran reemerged as a separate, different and distinctive element within Islam, eventually adding a new element even to Islam itself."
edit on 10 10 2016 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: Irishhaf

Do you have the same difficulties with schools teaching science?

Please answer, I have a bet riding on this. Thank you.

I am going to guess you lose...

I am not a christian fundamentalist... I dont remember science leading anyone to genocidal tendencies...long as they stick to the proven facts why would I have a problem with it?

I havent looked at the thread in a few days but I dont think I ever called out Islam specifically... I did say any religion that does not show the bad with the good is a farcical class that probably needs its curriculum redone. (para-phrase)

I would be considered a Heretic by probably all the major religions accept maybe Buddhist.
edit on 10-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

a reply to: [post=21356733]Krazysh0t

Perhaps Iran presents a specific case. According to Bernard Lewis,"Iran was indeed Islamized, but it was not Arabized. Persians remained Persians. And after an interval of silence, Iran reemerged as a separate, different and distinctive element within Islam, eventually adding a new element even to Islam itself."

Moving the goal posts back I see.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornShucker

a reply to: hutch622

Why is that? There are plenty of American Muslims happily learning about the history of Christianity in American public schools.

Are they being told that in the study of Christianity it will be a course requirement to memorize and recite aloud the "Sinner's Prayer" in front of the class? Here is the Billy Graham version, "Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen."

For believing Christians, child or not, it is every bit as offensive to be forced to recite the Shahada, "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his only prophet."

This is one of those issues has convinced me that even those defending this kind of stuff know, deep down, that it's just plain Wrong!! Just a few years ago the same people would have been screaming bloody murder over Seperation of Church and State. Now that one group has been selected as deserving "special consideration" in spite of past precedent, the wishes of parents that want to exercise their freedom of religion within the family are having that constitutionally protected right denied them.

What are you babbling about? No one is making the kids recite prayers in class.

This is what I'm "babbling about." You were so busy firing off replies that you jumped the gun a bit. The story of the family in your OP is Far from the only one in the country. There are schools where they have been, in fact, teaching the steps to convert and (at least in the case of this Marine's daughter) being required to recite the shahada in front of the class.

I shouldn't have to retype it all. You can read it Here in your own thread.

When the Marine found out, he filed suit to stop it. (I've never read whether he was successful.) The school was so vindictive that they wouldn't lift the order from coming on school property to allow him to attend his daughter's graduation.

I stand firm on such secretive practices undermining the wishes of parents to be a violation of their constitutional right to freedom of religion. There is no need to force students to go through the steps of converting to any religion in order to teach its history. It might only be words to you, but to me it smacks of violation of the religious civil liberties that are guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. Someone much higher than a school board had to lay the groundwork for a class with one textbook that was not to leave school property (the Marine's daughter's class). If you want to claim it's a state's rights issue, refer to my last paragraph...

My post includes a link to the first article I read, but here's a like to a more recent one, also. Here

I made it a point to tread lightly in the post you consider "babbling" because I know it's a hot button issue. What I won't do is concede that many of the same people that have been throwing hissy fits over Separation of Church and State for years seem completely sanguine with skating the line between education and indoctrination on this particular issue.
edit on 10 10 2016 by CornShucker because: changed word for better context/clarity

edit on 10 10 2016 by CornShucker because: added dropped word and added sentence

edit on 10 10 2016 by CornShucker because: added dropped word

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Unlike you, I'm making distinctions and staying logical and consistent.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CornShucker

I see. You failed to understand the point of your own articles. Even your own articles aren't forcing thosee kids to recite prayers. That Marine got banned from his daughter's school because he jumped the gun due to his bigotry. When you look at the lesson plan for his daughter, it was 100% benign and wasn't making her convert. No surprise that you misunderstood the content of the article to make it seem like more is going on than is really going on though.

I stand firm on such secretive practices undermining the wishes of parents to be a violation of their constitutional right to freedom of religion. There is no need to force students to go through the steps of converting to any religion in order to teach its history. It might only be words to you, but to me it smacks of violation of the religious civil liberties are guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. Someone much higher than a school board had to lay the groundwork for a class with one textbook that was not to leave school property (the Marine's daughter's class).

Lol. No you don't. You clearly don't even know what a prayer is.
edit on 10-10-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Unlike you, I'm making distinctions and staying logical and consistent.

No. You are moving the goal posts back with distinctions now that your totality was shown to be wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join