It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:45 PM

originally posted by: Veritas83
a reply to: Annee

No, I didn't sneak in anything. That was the conclusion of my post. What I said is the truth with plenty of history to back it up.
Public education is a joke and you can guarantee any type of religious teaching would be filtered to remove controversy and teach it as they want the

Public education guarantees every child's right to an education. Children in public schools with support from parents do just fine.

Children in many countries go to school - - - only if their parents can afford to pay for it.

The curriculum includes Christianity, as well as other main religions. They DO NOT leave Christianity out.

As an atheist who supports separation of church and state 100% and is raising a (now 9 year old) without any God belief - - - I do not want religion in his school.

However, I'm in a very accepting location in SoCA. In areas that are heavily dominate Christianity - - - I see the need to open children's minds - - - especially to understand that not all their schoolmates believe the same.

Cultural diversity sometimes has to be forced.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 02:11 PM

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: hutch622

Why is that? There are plenty of American Muslims happily learning about the history of Christianity in American public schools.

Are they being told that in the study of Christianity it will be a course requirement to memorize and recite aloud the "Sinner's Prayer" in front of the class? Here is the Billy Graham version, "Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen."

For believing Christians, child or not, it is every bit as offensive to be forced to recite the Shahada, "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his only prophet."

This is one of those issues has convinced me that even those defending this kind of stuff know, deep down, that it's just plain Wrong!! Just a few years ago the same people would have been screaming bloody murder over Seperation of Church and State. Now that one group has been selected as deserving "special consideration" in spite of past precedent, the wishes of parents that want to exercise their freedom of religion within the family are having that constitutionally protected right denied them.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 04:21 PM
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I wish this lady the VERY BEST in her efforts. However I am surprised it took this long to be honest.

The Islamic Brotherhood have planned this for years and years. To insert their teachings into schools across America. This is real and now many of you can see. This is to corrupt your children. If any of you have children and live in America I would be seriously seriously worried about what they are being taught. There is many Islamic preachers in the highest of positions of education system of America and I would wish you all to quickly work to remove them fast.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 05:57 PM

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: UKTruth

Below is the Curriculum IMO it doesn't seem nefarious at all. If I was a 7th grader I would find it overwhelmingly boring.

7.4 Describe the expansion of Muslim rule through conquests and the spread of cultural diffusion of Islam and the Arabic language.

The Rise of Islam Interactive Map
The Rise of Islam Quiz
7.5 Trace the origins of Islam and the life and teachings of Muhammad, including Islam’s historical connections to Judaism and Christianity.

Mohammed and the Birth of Islam
Muhammad and the Faith of Islam
The Birth of Islam in Arabia Interactive Map
PBS Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet

Islamic World, 400 A.D/C.E. – 1500s

Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, social, and religious structures of the civilizations.

7.7 Analyze the origins and impact of different sects within Islam, Sunnis and Shi’ites.

Map showing Muslim Distribution: Sunni and Shia
The difference between Sunnis and Shiites

7.9 Describe the establishment of trade routes among Asia, Africa, and Europe and the role of merchants in Arab society.
Questions for today: Recall Geographic Luck. To what extent were individual leaders responsible for the successes of their civilizations? Was their rise to greatness a result of their own personal strengths or the land/conditions that they were lucky enough to have?

1. Did trade influence the rise of empires or did empires influence the extent of trade?
2. What part might cities and trade routes have played during this period in the spread of knowledge, skills, new ideas, religions, and philosophies?
3. Which geographical features helped, and which hindered the integration of Indo-Mediterranea? How were hindering features overcome?
4. How might the introduction of crops into new regions affect the environment.

Lesson Activity: In groups you are going to follow a trade route that was used during classical civilization times. Use Google Earth to plug in the different latitudes and longitudes.

Routes to follow:
Amber Road
Pepper Route
The Royal Road
The Silk Road
The Way of the Sea
Opening the Way to India

​Global Trade Routes Reading and Activity
Key Comprehensive Site: Trade Route: Wikis
7.10 Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources to examine the art and architecture, including the Taj Mahal during the Mughal period.

​The Art of the Ottomans before 1600
Asia for Educatiors: South Asia: Mughal Dynasty [1526-1858]
Treasures of the World: Taj Mahal: Memorial to Love
Treasures of the World: The Mughal Dynasty
7.12 Write an explanatory text to describe the Shah Abbas and how his policies of cultural blending led to the Golden Age and the rise of the Safavid Empire.

From Report on Persia, Persians, and "Abbas I" about 1604: by Father Simon PDF
Primary Documents and Supporting Texts to Consider: excerpts from The Hadith, Muhammad; excerpts from The Book of Golden Meadows, Masoudi

Excerpts from the Hadith, Sayings of Muhammad
Excerpts from The Book of Golden Meadows, Masoudi, 940 A.D.

7.3 Identify the physical location and features and the climate of the Arabian Peninsula, its relationship to surrounding bodies of land and water, including Northern Africa, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, Nile River.

Interactive Discovery Atlas
Arabian Peninsula
Northern Africa
Mediterranean Sea
Black Sea
Caspian Sea
Tigris and Euphates Rivers
Nile River

Abul Hasan Ali Al-Masu'di [Masoudi] ca. 895-957 C.E.

The Traditions of the Prophet; Collection of Al-Hadiths

How did Islam begin and why did it spread to different parts of the world?
How did Islamic society, family life, and achievements influence change?
What changes occurred all over the world as a result of Islamic invasion?
In what ways does religion play a part in the development of cultures?
How did the development of Islam lead to changes in Arabia and the Middle East?
Here is a link

When did they start teaching this? I know that I am an old fart, but nothing about any religion, was taught in the schools I attended, since I did not attend a religious school. All the religious teaching I got, came from home, or from Sunday School. I raised 2 girls and a boy, they are now 35, 26 and 24. None of them attended religious school, and they were not taught anything about religion in school either. So when did they start teaching religion in school?

I am anti all religion, but if I were not, I would not like my children being taught about religion in school.

edit on 8-10-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: quote correction

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:36 PM

Islam, and Christianity, along with all their various off shoots are, like it or not, a part of our lives. Rant and rave about it though you will. ...and many of you will, for better or for worse.

Unfortunately, many are ranting an raving from a position of ignorance. Ignorance breeds nothing good. Only bad.

That curriculum posted above, if followed, does more than a bit to dispel at least part of that ignorance that so many embrace.

How can you judge, for good or for ill, what you don't understand? With any hope of being right? I know many of you will claim to know much about Islam... Yeah, you know what? No you don't.

I read posts by members here who are Muslim, and their explanations of Islam in no way jibe with yours...guess who I'm going to trust to enlighten me?

I'm neither Islamic, not Christian, so I can claim no great amount of expertise, other than being able to spell both names correctly... I ask questions, or I read the answers to others questions, and I attempt, sometimes successfully, other times not so much, to understand the views of others. Because there lies understanding. There lays peace between peoples. But all too many on all sides of this stupidity have vested interests in maintaining the conflicts. Power. Influence. Money. Power. ...and more power. We, being the stupid little sheep that we are, follow the path that these Judas goats would lead us down, with nary a bleat of protest.

Defend your ignorance as you will. I can see it for what it is. Meanwhile, I will continue to attempt to keep learning and understanding, and make my own judgments from a position of, at least, some knowledge.

There are those who have the knowledge to share, and who are more than willing to share it if asked... Why not partake of the opportunity that's there? Or is basking in the radiance of ignorance all you need?

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:39 PM

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This Christian Justice Warrior.

It's not a Christian issue. PUBLIC SAFETY is a federal government responsiblity. Aviation safety is governed by the FAA.

Islam calls for the execution of people who will not convert. Now, is Islam true or not. I don't know. I disagree with them worshipping that rock encased in silver at Mecca. The meteorite. One of the first thingst that Israel did while Moses was receiving the 10 Commandments was create a golden calf to worship. Gold does not give something any spiritual or sacred value. 2, it's idol worship. It pissed Moses off so bad he threw the 10 Commandments on the ground and broke them. Islam accepts Moses as a prophet and yet engages in a behavior that pissed Moses off so much he broke the 10 Commandments

Now, when Josh Powell of the Mormon church killed his wife, God made the man so mad for violating the 10 Commandments requirement to not shed innocent blood, he killed himself and his boys. He blew himself up in a house in Washington state after taking an hatchet to both of his boys while they were still alive.

Osama bin Laden killed many children after accepting the 10 Commandments requirement not to kill except in self-defense. His justification was the defense of Iraqi's starved to death by US sanctions. Iraq was not his nation. His own countrymen disowned him and booted him out, as well as his own family. He killed innocent children guilty of no sin for a false religion. And yet God did not have him meet the same fate as Josh and drive him mad to the point he offed himself.

One would conclude that despite the fact that Islam is false and engaged in idolatry with that black stone that God expects people to kill in the name of Islam. Otherwise Osama would have been dead at his own hands.

Finally, a religion which requires the death penalty for those who will not convert should be examined by proper US federal authorities and declared as true or false. If declared true, then all other religions should be banned and every American required to convert to Islam. If found false, then mosques should be destroyed and Muslims arrested and executed.

Failure to do so is lack of respect for PUBLIC SAFETY by the federal government, Obama, and Congress.

That Muslim that pulled the trigger on those Fort Hood soldiers wasn't the one ultimately responsible for their deaths, it is the federal government who fails to issue a Congressional decision on Islam as being true or false.
edit on 8-10-2016 by Miracula2 because: misspelled federal in first sentence

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:50 PM
a reply to: Miracula2

Islam calls for the execution of people who will not convert.

no it dosent, get educated. ***SNIP***

why write such a long diatribe when your tiny mind has no knowledge of the subject?
edit on 10/8/2016 by Blaine91555 because: NAME CALLING NOT ALLOWED

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:53 PM
However, in support of Muslims kissing and worshipping that space rock encased in silver at Mecca.

Jesus said that who ever believes in Him is save. The Muslims believe in Jesus. He is called Isa and I have personally read scriptures in the Koran which refer to him as more than a prophet, and specifically uses the word Messiah to refer to Jesus and yet Christians continue to assert that Muslims restrict Jesus or Isa to the office of prophet rather than a Messiah as he is referred to in the Koran.

So, Abu Bakr Al-Bagdadi isn't really doing anything wrong by abducting Arizona girls, marrying them, raping them and killing them. Why, because Jesus didn't require people to do anything other than believe in him to be saved. He didn't say you must not rape and kill Arizona women. He didn't say you must not engage in idol worship of space rocks encased in silver.

One must MERELY believe in Jesus, not follow the 10 Commandments to be saved. Otherwise Jesus would have said you must believe in him and repent and follow the 10 Commandments. Therefore Jesus is authorizing the abduction of Arizona girls, and raping them and killing them as ISIS leader has done. God hasn't driven him mad like Josh Powell and had Abu Bakr Al-Bagdadi douse his house with gasoline, set it on fire, and take a hatchet to his Muslim wives and kids, even though Bagdadi killed his wife just as Josh Powell did. Same crime. Different punishment by God.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:54 PM

originally posted by: BlackProject
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I wish this lady the VERY BEST in her efforts. However I am surprised it took this long to be honest.

The Islamic Brotherhood have planned this for years and years. To insert their teachings into schools across America. This is real and now many of you can see. This is to corrupt your children. If any of you have children and live in America I would be seriously seriously worried about what they are being taught. There is many Islamic preachers in the highest of positions of education system of America and I would wish you all to quickly work to remove them fast.

So have christian leaders. Ya.. I know islam is a bit worse than christianity. However, the brainwashing of religion has been here long before islam's rise in the media.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:55 PM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:04 PM
And for all you white supremacists I have this. The only nation which has exercise respect for public safety at a federal level is headed by a black president.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:32 PM
a reply to: blueman12

It sure has but Christianity was already embedded its not going to change our lives drastically for the worse. However I agree, as I am an Atheist, all religion must be removed from school. It is not required to live a healthy and normal life, it should be something the parent or child wishes to seek as it grows older.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:15 PM
a reply to: Irishhaf

I learned about all the major religions and what each religions major text was. This was 6th grade I remember it all too well. History class I think? It was really interesting and fun to learn about each religion, when and where they were started, and how they influence our world today.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:46 PM
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am in my 40s and can remember Social studies class teaching the basics about major religions pertaining to the geography. It helps to understand why things are the way they are in those regions both past and present. Do you not remember being taught about The Roman empire both before and after Christ as well as the influence of the religion and past religion because I do. I remember being taught about Buddhism belief and its influence though I don't remember being taught much about Islam, but there was some because the influence of it especially with math. It has all been taught to some extent for decades it just wasn't made out to be a big deal like now.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 09:38 AM

originally posted by: seagull
-- snip --
That curriculum posted above, if followed, does more than a bit to dispel at least part of that ignorance that so many embrace.
-- snip --

On that, we are in agreement. H*ll, I'd find it interesting, myself!

The problem comes in when, after years of niggling away at anything remotely Christian in schools, a Stealth Curriculum is not only condoned but forced upon teachers in public schools.

Any class that uses more than one textbook and specifies that ONE of those textbooks is not to leave school property, is a class that is intentionally hiding something from the parents. I have a real problem with that.

You might have seen this... A Marine that served two tours was banned from school property for filing a lawsuit to stop his daughter's school from using a history class to push Islam. Our country has become so "Fair" that they wouldn't even lift the restraining order for her graduation! There was never any due process for him. All the principal had to do was file the order.

I've misplaced the text file, but for a while I used a quote for my sig (I'm paraphrasing), "After a certain point, education becomes indistinguishable from indoctrination."

She had been asked to memorize the Five Pillars of Islam. She had been asked to write and recite the shahada, the Muslim statement of faith: There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. She had been taught, according to school papers submitted to federal court, that most Muslims’ faith is “stronger than the average Christian.”
edit on 10 9 2016 by CornShucker because: spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 10:15 AM

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: TheRedneck
-- snip --
Otherwise, it would be like me claiming that all Christians are anti-electricity because Amish people are traditionally against it. Or chastising all American Christians for not following one of the Pope's recommendations. Or calling Christians hypocrites for not fasting during one of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's 7 fasting periods. People here at least understand that different Christian denominations and communities aren't bound by the same rules and don't follow the same practices. And they know that some local preachers (or popular televangelists) may come out with some controversial declarations that other Christians don't follow. But people here don't seem to realize that Islam is the same way.

Sorry to "butt-in" on the conversation... Just wanted to let you know that I have a deep appreciation for someone that can come up with good analogies.

I no longer attend church because of things I've (and my family) experienced personally. While some stubborn evangelicals might try to drag be back, I'm more than capable of letting them know I'm prepared to be as rude as necessary to get them to go away. Not proud of that, but I'm old enough to have many attempts at it under my belt and have no intention of going through it again.

Your post reminded me of a guest minister at a church we attended who spoke of his missionary work in Africa. Although I've spend countless hours in reflection & prayer, I can't forgive myself for not standing and doing what should have been done.

He began his talk by pointing out that the first time you go to work in Africa and they open that jet door, "You realize you aren't going to be meeting anyone who has ever been introduced to a bar of Zest (a soap brand name)."

How absolutely sickening to stand in a house of worship and mock people who will never see a completely safe drink of water or know the pleasure of a long hot bath...!

Needless to say, I wasn't one of those who joined the nervous laughter. My gut was telling me I should step out into the aisle, hold my Bible above my head until he acknowledged me and then ask him if he would refuse the touch of Jesus because he had body odor!

All faiths have people and things to regret being associated with.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 02:45 PM
a reply to: Grimpachi

Social Studies classes did not discuss religion at all. They spoke of the Roman Empire, but Christ was not included. Christianity was not discussed.

I have you about 20 years on you. The curriculum was heavy on the Maths, including Physics. World Economics was more of a focus in Social Studies, and World History was a blitz, with more focus being on American History. I had to take Old English Literature, and Spanish, and of course your standards of Reading, Writing, Home Economic, Manners & Etiquette, Typing and Shorthand.

We pledged allegiance to the flag every morning and that is about as close as we got to anything religious.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 03:56 PM
there reaIIy is something wrong with many ρosters here...

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:08 PM
a reply to: CornShucker

On a public forum, it is somewhat silly to not expect others to join in. Feel free. I do it all the time.

Your post is a perfect example of intolerance as practiced throughout human history. I remember my American Lit class in my earlier college years. We were studying a diary of one of the early Pilgrims, and I constantly was amazed at how the natives encountered were treated with suspicion and disgust. But the telling part was when the author described their inability to find enough food, until the found a structure stocked with corn. Eureka! God had shone his blessing upon the poor starving colonists and provided for them!

Not really. They had just robbed a tribe of natives.

The hubris in that account was mind-numbing, even for someone as disgusted with typical human behavior as myself. To make things even worse, the settlers then decided to have pity on the poor savages they had robbed by teaching them about the great God who had told them to steal the natives' food. As a proud descendant of the Cherokee, I was utterly offended by the very thought that these thieves who had to steal to survive were so superior to those who knew how to survive and thrive on their own.

But really, was it their religion that was the issue? I call myself Christian, just as they did. We both at least claimed the same God and the same Holy Book. Yet I see the hypocrisy and arrogance in their actions. They couldn't. That disproves a religious linkage to their attitudes.

The visiting minister you mention was indeed holding bigoted feelings... but not because of his religion. He held them because of his humanity. It's just what humanity does: fear that which is unknown. That's why teaching about the various religions and cultures is so important... to make them less unfamiliar, less scary, and more 'normal.'

That fine line however... that line that separates teaching about from teaching toward... must never be crossed. If it is, it causes the previous generation's fears to interfere with teaching about, and destroys progress toward what should be everyone's ultimate goal: universal peace and harmony.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 06:19 PM
The basis and overview of all major religions should be covered in school, so kids know what is out there, and are able to speak somewhat intelligently about the features of each. We are not talking depth, or certainly not preaching or favor-ability of one over the other, because these are biased views that have no part in education. Keeping kids in the dark about the religions of the world only hurts them.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>