It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 05:52 AM
a reply to: MamaJ

I think when you look at it more closely there is a big difference between meditation and prayer.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 05:57 AM
a reply to: goou111

I will teach my new grandson to hate Islam.

Maybe the internet will still be uncensored and he can make up his own mindabout the cozy relationship of the Bin Laden family and the Bush's and the the sacrifice of the Twin Towers victims

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:19 AM
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No we don't all know your crazy beliefs about a religion.

I didn't want to respond to WUNK22, but you surely can't deny that Islam - submission to Gods Will and what harm that has borne on Middle East women , is as benign as standing for the Star Spangled Banner at school.

Here's a thoughtstorm - be honest
Try to separate Islam from any elected parliament in an Arabic country - see how that works out.
Islam is more than a religion, it pervades all aspects of Muslim life. Even down to which hand you eat with or wipe your ass

She also related that, The Messenger of Allahs hand (blessings and peace be upon him) was for his purification and eating, and his left for the toilet and anything lowly. [Abu Dawud; Nawawi declared it rigorously authentic in his Majmu`]

Before the days of soap or toilet paper this could be understood - nowadays, well? Ever been inside a Muslim toilet at an airport - they really should have a hose outside the entrance for your shoes on the way out.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:24 AM
a reply to: goou111

Blah blah blah. You get the hell off my planet

You do know the definition of bigot?
Thankfully the hate you spew forth may end when your grandson grows up and thinks for himself.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:36 AM
a reply to: Wildbob77

I think that children should learn of the crusades both Islamic and Christian and how much violence was brought on the world by religion

"brought?" The violence is still ongoing. How about pedophila still being hidden by the church? Children should learn the recent "legal" history of the church. But I guess it's hard to find with out of court settlements or "sealed orders"

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 06:44 AM
What was being taught?

If the lessons were historical and included the bloody history of Islam as well as the good then I see no problem with it.
If the intent is to push the Islamic faith onto a child, then it is a disgrace, and this woman has every right to complain.

The context of the teaching must be understood, which I don't see in the OP. I just see a rush to judgement.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:12 AM
a reply to: UKTruth

They teach them about it the same way they teach about Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism. Like if it is polytheistic or monotheistic as well as enough information to show how it has influenced the culture in the areas it was in.

Below is the Curriculum IMO it doesn't seem nefarious at all. If I was a 7th grader I would find it overwhelmingly boring.

7.4 Describe the expansion of Muslim rule through conquests and the spread of cultural diffusion of Islam and the Arabic language.

The Rise of Islam Interactive Map
The Rise of Islam Quiz
7.5 Trace the origins of Islam and the life and teachings of Muhammad, including Islam’s historical connections to Judaism and Christianity.

Mohammed and the Birth of Islam
Muhammad and the Faith of Islam
The Birth of Islam in Arabia Interactive Map
PBS Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet

Islamic World, 400 A.D/C.E. – 1500s

Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, social, and religious structures of the civilizations.

7.7 Analyze the origins and impact of different sects within Islam, Sunnis and Shi’ites.

Map showing Muslim Distribution: Sunni and Shia
The difference between Sunnis and Shiites

7.9 Describe the establishment of trade routes among Asia, Africa, and Europe and the role of merchants in Arab society.
Questions for today: Recall Geographic Luck. To what extent were individual leaders responsible for the successes of their civilizations? Was their rise to greatness a result of their own personal strengths or the land/conditions that they were lucky enough to have?

1. Did trade influence the rise of empires or did empires influence the extent of trade?
2. What part might cities and trade routes have played during this period in the spread of knowledge, skills, new ideas, religions, and philosophies?
3. Which geographical features helped, and which hindered the integration of Indo-Mediterranea? How were hindering features overcome?
4. How might the introduction of crops into new regions affect the environment.

Lesson Activity: In groups you are going to follow a trade route that was used during classical civilization times. Use Google Earth to plug in the different latitudes and longitudes.

Routes to follow:
Amber Road
Pepper Route
The Royal Road
The Silk Road
The Way of the Sea
Opening the Way to India

​Global Trade Routes Reading and Activity
Key Comprehensive Site: Trade Route: Wikis
7.10 Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources to examine the art and architecture, including the Taj Mahal during the Mughal period.

​The Art of the Ottomans before 1600
Asia for Educatiors: South Asia: Mughal Dynasty [1526-1858]
Treasures of the World: Taj Mahal: Memorial to Love
Treasures of the World: The Mughal Dynasty
7.12 Write an explanatory text to describe the Shah Abbas and how his policies of cultural blending led to the Golden Age and the rise of the Safavid Empire.

From Report on Persia, Persians, and "Abbas I" about 1604: by Father Simon PDF
Primary Documents and Supporting Texts to Consider: excerpts from The Hadith, Muhammad; excerpts from The Book of Golden Meadows, Masoudi

Excerpts from the Hadith, Sayings of Muhammad
Excerpts from The Book of Golden Meadows, Masoudi, 940 A.D.

7.3 Identify the physical location and features and the climate of the Arabian Peninsula, its relationship to surrounding bodies of land and water, including Northern Africa, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, Nile River.

Interactive Discovery Atlas
Arabian Peninsula
Northern Africa
Mediterranean Sea
Black Sea
Caspian Sea
Tigris and Euphates Rivers
Nile River

Abul Hasan Ali Al-Masu'di [Masoudi] ca. 895-957 C.E.

The Traditions of the Prophet; Collection of Al-Hadiths

How did Islam begin and why did it spread to different parts of the world?
How did Islamic society, family life, and achievements influence change?
What changes occurred all over the world as a result of Islamic invasion?
In what ways does religion play a part in the development of cultures?
How did the development of Islam lead to changes in Arabia and the Middle East?
Here is a link
edit on 8-10-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:17 AM
a reply to: Grimpachi

Then I see no problem with it, though I am only seeing the positives in the source.
If all religions are taught the same way then that is ok.
edit on 8/10/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:28 AM
Ha! For some reason my brain read the title as "Teen" mom throws fit....had to real opinion other than she's off.

Carry on.....

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 07:47 AM

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I think when you look at it more closely there is a big difference between meditation and prayer.

I think it's all the same energy being put forth.

We little bitty unimportant humans have no clue how powerful the mind is. If we knew ...more and more people would meditate and or pray. The Universe is very giving. That's why it is said, "be careful what you wish for".

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:49 AM
I had a mythology class in high school. We learned about ancient Greek and Roman mythology, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc... And nobody complained. It was literally my favorite class throughout all of school. There is a huge difference between teaching about a religion, and preaching a religion. I highly doubt this Tennessee teacher was trying to convert anybody to worship Allah.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 08:50 AM

oh, ok - from that perspective

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:08 AM
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I, like you, have traced many of my roots. I still continue to look deeper into my family history. Thus far, I have traced my strict paternal line all the way back to the first in America, circa mid-1700s. Other lines have led me to the Cherokee, the Black Dutch of rural Kentucky, and some dead ends... one recent ancestor (3 generations) was an orphan and no information on his parents has been found. But I can proudly say that, thus far, not a single one were slave owners.

I did find one letter from a side branch of my family who had moved out to Texas. A plague had struck, and the letter was essentially a report on who was sick, who has died, who had recovered... they went down the list of everyone there, and then listed the slaves. Many of the slaves had been moved into the main house so they could care for them.

Yes, it was a horrible practice, but that shows the exaggerations I spoke of earlier.

It wasn't that long ago the KKK was active in Alabama. In my youth, I was actually invited to join... twice. My answer was the same both times: "I don't need your help to hate folks. You wanna join me?" You'll probably be glad to hear that the Klan, while it does exist in small isolated pockets, is pretty much inactive and dying out today. If they do pop their head up, they're quickly shamed back into their holes. We've moved beyond that time period.

The main thing is to realize that we're simply people.

Of that, I have no doubt.

This has been, for me anyway, an extremely interesting and enlightening conversation. I mentioned earlier a concern about not wanting to offend; that phenomenon truly exists and is widespread. That's the gift of political correctness. I came to you with no bigoted baggage, but rather a honest desire to learn, and by speaking openly I have been able to do so. Anyone approaching a new subject will be apt to ask questions or make statements that are ludicrous to those with deeper knowledge of the subject... I could spend days giving examples from engineering courses... but a good teacher will understand that and correct without taking offense. As a math tutor, I know for a fact that the biggest problem in that subject is students being afraid to ask questions for fear of ridicule.

Why should religion or culture be any different?

But I definitely love my religion and wouldn't give it up even if the entire world tried to force me to.

I feel the same about my religion. And that is how it should be. Were someone to try to force a different religion on you, I would be the first to stand beside you; I would hope you feel the same. Freedom is the basis for any religion; without freedom to choose one's own path, we are simply automatons with no soul to save.

Oh, one other thing: The Qur'an is NOT a new interpretation of the old Judeo-Christian scriptures. It's a completely different book.

OK, you do not get points for confusing rednecks... that's just considered beginner practice.

J/K, but it does appear confusing. I knew about the difference between Sunni and Shi'a, but was not even aware of the third. And had no knowledge of the different divisions beyond that. It sort of explains the individual choice of which holy man to follow that I have heard of, but still will require some research on my part to understand. Your explanation will surely make that task easier, so I will thank you again.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 10:53 AM
One of the most fulfilling classes I ever took in middle and high school was social studies (along with history.) Both taught us about the history and customs of pretty much every religion under the sun. They didn't teach us any religious doctrines, prayers, or practices - merely the (academically avowed, at least) histories and some of the cultural sensibilities of each faith in question.

The closest we ever got to being "taught" practices, was when we were asked if any members of the class were followers of each faith, some said yes, and they/we were allowed to discuss them with one another. That included a very sweet girl named Hala who was given the opportunity to explain why she covered her hair. I'll always remember her as an unusually kind girl. One of the few people in my school who took to me, in fact lol.

Learning about other cultures and faiths, from a historical, factual standpoint, is part of public education, and imho it should be. As a Christian, I have zero problem with this. On the contrary, I would argue understanding and respecting other faiths - even if I disagree with them - is a part of my Christianity. I'm not even talking about ecumenism (I know that's considered sacrilege to many,) but about common civility. I'm supposed to love and respect others, even while disagreeing with them and telling them what I believe and why. You can't communicate with people unless you gain some understanding of where they're coming from. Not everyone is going to share your faith, that's just life. And you have to be able to hold peace and compassion for everyone, even those who profoundly disagree with. Call me crazy.

That said, I also fully support parents' prerogative with regard to how their children are educated, whether I agree with them individually or not.

edit on 10/8/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 10:58 AM
a reply to: Irishhaf

Do you have the same difficulties with schools teaching science?

Please answer, I have a bet riding on this. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:22 PM
a reply to: soficrow

Real science doesn't teach affirmatives, it only disproves ideas. Theories for example are just ideas that haven't yet been disproven.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 12:46 PM

Religion should not be taught in a public school at all. This keeps the students from being indoctrinated and learning false information. Public schools are government run daycare centers. With all that said, had this teacher been teaching on the Christian religion, the ACLU and other hateful people would be in an uproar and you know it.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:04 PM

originally posted by: Veritas83

Religion should not be taught in a public school at all. This keeps the students from being indoctrinated and learning false information. Public schools are government run daycare centers. With all that said, had this teacher been teaching on the Christian religion, the ACLU and other hateful people would be in an uproar and you know it.

Ahhhhh, comes down to persecuted Christians. Snuck that in at the end, didn't ya.

It is a planned curriculum - - - Christian history is also part of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:15 PM
a reply to: Annee

No, I didn't sneak in anything. That was the conclusion of my post. What I said is the truth with plenty of history to back it up.
Public education is a joke and you can guarantee any type of religious teaching would be filtered to remove controversy and teach it as they want the students to believe. Learning about a religion needs to be a personal journey of investigation. No one should trust government funded education.

I bet while learning about the Mohammedan religion, they would not learn of the conquests throughout the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Mohammedans wanted to conquer Europe and ruled Spain for a while. I bet they would not learn that the freedom of religion does not exist in Mohammedan countries and that only followers of the Mohammedan religion can enter Mecca.

If parents want their children to know about a certain religion or all religions, that's a task for the parents to set out on with their children, not paid government spokespeople.
edit on 8-10-2016 by Veritas83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:38 PM

So essentially this thread was prompted by someone you feel
flipped a gasket, which in turn caused you to flip a gasket.

Only the naive fail to understand comparison religions such
as CHRISTIANITY are never taught in American schools.
So bravo to this woman and anyone else who calls these
people on their double-standard BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>