It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

There has been studies of ignorance and racism and yes, it is related

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Intelligence is quite a different matter from ignorance.

However, Redneck's assessment is interesting.

Damn college educated, bleeding heart, liberals. They're brainwashed. Maybe not.

edit on 10/7/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Did you just call me a liberal?

Good point. Ignorance can be temporary. A lack of intelligence is much less so.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Oh, hell no.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I would like some clarification here:

You mention Muslim slaves, but I was under the impression the majority of black slaves were from western Africa. I was also under the impression that Islam originated and was for a long time primarily confined to Mideast/Persian area. Am I mistaken?

TheRedneck

Others have already chimed in on this, so I'll just give an anecdotal example. Both my Mom & Dad's family lines include Muslims back during the Slavery period. In fact, even the non-Muslims had knowledge of traditional Islamic customs, such as some Western African Muslim dinner preparations.

As for Western Africa and Islam, I'll just point out that Nigeria alone is roughly 45-50% Muslim, 45-50% Christian, and 1-10% other. They never agree on their census stats because each side tries to exaggerate it's numbers. But neighboring countries like Niger and Chad are Muslim-majority countries, as are others in the region like Mali.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Krazysh0t

As I said, American history is Christian history.

The faith of our founding fathers has zero resemblance to the right wingnut religion we endure today, and this is precisely why they made damn sure our laws are based on secular reasoning and not of religious dogma. This is a good thing, the laws of the bible are barbaric and senseless by modern day standards.

Just because white Christians are in the perceived majority does not mean the collective needs to be making decisions to cater to them. We have and will eventually move away from that model and continue to inch our way towards equality for all.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I agree w/the concept. Though I think the correlation may be between knowledge and racism, not necessarily intelligence and racism. Because there are a lot of "smart" racists, like the ones who wrote and justified things like "scientific racism", "eugenics", and various forms of genocide "for the greater good".

So maybe it's the firsthand knowledge that people from other groups go through similar ups and downs that leads us to see them as equal humans. Not "equal" as in "identical" since I know that every person is different. But "equal" as in "they have the same likes, wants, needs, relationship issues, crazy family members, hobbies, gripes about their bosses, retirement dreams, etc".

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I have studied the pre-War of Northern Aggression era as it relates to my family tree, and understand a good bit about the actual slavery issue as it was seen back then. But apparently this one tidbit of knowledge escaped me. I had always assumed that the slaves were either pagan or held some tribal poly-theistic views.

Just more proof what ass-u-me really breaks down into.

This bit of ignorance on my part has caught my fancy. I have a feeling I will be searching African history for the next while. Thank you for the enlightenment.

May I ask: is your religion Islamic?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

In other words, I believe that those atrocities and injustices that I mentioned above are actually the result of humankind's corrupted nature, and people just use various religious and pseudo-scientific beliefs to justify their actions. But since you're the one claiming American history is Christian history, you'll have to accept the bad with the good.)

There's a reason I enjoy your posts...

That quote above bears repeating, and for many, further thought. Nicely stated. Religion is the crutch many, too many, use to excuse their actions.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Ignorance is actually a nice way of putting it, I wanted to say stupidity.

Ignorance is just not knowing much of a particular subject, stupidity is not knowing much at all, but thinking you know it all.
edit on 7-10-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Good point. Ignorance can be temporary. A lack of intelligence is much less so.

TheRedneck
And you can't fix it. (Stupidity)
Sadly enough.

Today I heard a great talk-show interview about Idiocracy as a prophetic and/or snobbish film. So sad that we are about to live it out in real time.

edit on 10/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm a Muslim. My family tree has a mixture of various religions and creeds though, including Native American ones. And my extended family is also mixture of various religions.

And technically most of the slaves were pagans by the traditional definition, since many Christians considered all non-Christians to be pagans. Many didn't respect or acknowledge the beliefs of others, so they just lumped us all together as "Black" or "Indian".

One more side note: the 2 biggest religions in Africa are Islam and Christianity by a large margin. Estimates usually place 40-45% of all Africans as Christians and 40-45% as Muslims. In fact, going by this page (HERE), only 4 of Africa's 57 countries and partially recognized States have over one third of their populations being neither Christian nor Muslim.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: surnamename57
a reply to: dawnstar

If you disagree, then unfortunately you have no idea what a Muslim is.
Moderate muslims are fake Muslim.

Are you joking or are you actually serious? Because this is supremely ignorant and not to mention arrogant.

I know it's a late reply, but I was so busy yesterday.

The country where I come from consists of about 70 percent muslims. They used to be and still are for the most part very "moderate". They drink alcohol, don't pray Allah, don't attend mosques, eat the flesh of swine, allow their women to marry us, Christians, and a lot of other Harams prohibited by the Quran and Shariah. No hijab, nothing.

Yet they call themselves Muslim, are proud of their religion and celebrate Ramadan Bajram and Kurban Bajram (Eid-Ul-Fitr and Eid-Ul-Adha), even make the pilgrimage to Mecca.

So, are they real Muslim? If you want to ask this question to their Ulamas (scholars), you will be answered no. They are fake Muslim or "moderate" Muslim.

The problem with your type of people is that you read any kind of books and writings, allow yourselves to being "progressively" stimulated, but lack practical contact with facts.

If you are not able to travel and observe, you better keep silent and don't make others look at you with contempt.
edit on 7 10 2016 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
While we're talking about West Africa, I think we should also give at least passing credence to the various "Traditional Religions" the various indigenous systems that were basically passed down in oral tradition as well as Voudun.

Just for completeness, noting that while Islam and Christianity certainly dominate, these belief systems still exist today.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

All over the continent. ...and many are persecuted by both Islam and Christianity. ...and there's absolutely nothing new about that.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Gryphon66

All over the continent. ...and many are persecuted by both Islam and Christianity. ...and there's absolutely nothing new about that.

Nothing new about persecution?

If so, sadly, I know.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Ah, got some Cherokee and Creek in my heritage as well. I am very proud of that fact.

I'll answer in more detail when I get home from work. Quitting time.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join