It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Fireball Seen and Heard From Quebec, CA to Virginia, USA Oct 5, 2016

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

So I just noticed a big fireball has been reported over the East coast from Virginia to Canada. This happened Tuesday. What happened ATS, too busy arguing over politics?? Im the last person to usually find out about space stuff. Well it generated a sonic boom which was heard in Canada as well as in the States. WTF? Looks like a nice one. The last fireball I saw was earlier this year while fishing. Or maybe it was last year?? I dont remember. In any case, it is quietly mentioned on many MSM websites, did anyone see it reported on TV though????

CBS Pittsburgh (KDKA) – A massive fireball lit up the skies across parts of the East Coast and Canada Tuesday night, leading many to panic over fears of a plane crash.

Phones lit up at police offices and newsrooms across the East Coast with many in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and even Canada reporting the meteor.

“People saw a meteor,” said the Carnegie Science Center’s Ralph Crewe. “Some people call it a shooting star or falling star, but it’s a very bright one.”

A Green Tree police officer captured it on his dash cam, but his chief would not release the video.

NASA says the meteor was most likely part of the Orionid Meteor shower which is active between Oct. 4 and Nov. 14 this year.

“The Orionids formed from the debris of Halley’s comet, and are known for appearing “bright and quick,” NASA says.

Here is some related articles as well:
Related ATS articles
Why an increase in Fireballs, part 1
Why an increase in Fireballs, part 2

So this place is fairly international. Was anybody around here a witness?? I never heard a boom with the fireballs I seen. What was it like guys?? Someone here had to have seen and heard it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Many, many reports filed. Good timing for plenty of observers.
www.amsmeteors.org...

edit on 10/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It almost looks like it burnt out but i am no expert . I witnessed a green bolide many years ago and it was visible for many seconds . It was many years ago so how many seconds it was would be a guess now .

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

cool, I grabbed the map they had of reports and trajectory to throw it up here.

Thats plenty of opportunities to have recorded the boom. i want to hear that sound. This was fairly recent, So I am thinking someone will have a recording with the sonic boom uploaded soon enough.

They also had this 4 frames animation created from a timelapse recorded by the UTSC Observatory

edit on 10-6-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I wouldn't count on it and would be highly skeptical of claims. Not that it matters.

But sonic booms are pretty interesting. Heard one once. Not from a bolide.

edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Why be skeptical?? Multiple people who reported it heard the boom. is there some kind of technical abnormality that would make it unable to be recorded?? Im thinking there are people who were just recording random things that had nothing to do with the sky outside that night, who have it recorded if they were in the vicinity of its sound. They probably have no clue as to what the sound even was considering how little attention was paid to what is a fairly common phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Cell phone microphones are not known for being very good.

I also wonder about the timing of the sound and the visibility of the meteor. It takes a while for sound to travel and the meteor was not visible very long. Meaning time for, "Did you get it?" "Yeah, I did!" "Boom!"

Whenever a fireball is seen there are the inevitable facebook posts of stock meteor photos claiming to be the actual one. Plenty of reason to be skeptical. Not that it matters.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

What kind of civilian everyday cameras would have been better at recording the sound, assuming the two are in fact related?? Would it have to be the really expensive ones that only a handful of people usually buy, or can mid tier stuff have gotten it too??

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I don't know if my video camera would capture the sound and it's a pretty good one.

But look, it really doesn't matter. It's not a big deal.
I wish I could have seen it.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

yea it sure did look nice in the video. But I have already seen a handful of really nice bright ones over the bay where I live, and will probably see more in my lifetime. There is always another chance as long as you have breath in your lungs. Would be super cool to hear one too though.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've seen only one I would term a fireball. It was a bit too low on the horizon though, I could only see it through the treetops. Not a clear view. I could see that it broke up though.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I don't know if they occur more frequently near bodies of water, but based on what I have read on two that I have seen as an adult, they are actually breaking up far from my location. It probably just mean viewing from a body of water gives a full field of view that makes it more clear and easier to see. The three lights that I remember seeing as a kid over the span of a few years were viewed over that same body of water, and one more as an adult. SO I think it just a combination of luck, and the clear view of the sky when near water.

I remembering this website you linked had the occurrence that I saw in the last year I believe was listed as part f a series of four that were seen from a handful of locations across the US. It was in the news too. Maybe they are just becoming more common now like the series of articles I posted in the first post.

top topics

join