It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Boeing says it will win race to Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Two companies, Boeing and SpaceX, want to get to Mars and Boeing is stepping up to the plate. This means a manned mission to Mars within the next 8 years or less if Boeing pushes for it.

Boeing (BA) CEO Dennis Muilenburg says his company plans to beat Musk's SpaceX to the Red Planet. "I'm convinced that the first person to step foot on Mars will arrive there riding on a Boeing rocket," he told an innovation conference in Chicago. His comments come a week after Musk set out his own plans to colonize Mars. The SpaceX CEO has said he wants to send humans to the planet in 2024, with the spacecraft touching down in 2025.

CNN:

There is a lot of wealth to be had from the moon and Mars, and companies are just now starting to do things like collect asteroids. The law for who owns what in space is still in the air for the most part. But it seems like there is going to be a LOT of profit for those who move fast!

edit on 05pmWed, 05 Oct 2016 20:59:38 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I like this, competition is the best thing for this endeavor. I hope they both get there providing options for sustained future travel to Mars and elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

So they go from being exclusively a terrestrial aviation company to being an intergalactic exploration company overnight?

Makes you wonder how long they've been preparing. Like... what other kind of technology is Boeing hiding?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Nice, this is a fight I can actually get behind.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

This means a manned mission to Mars within the next 8 years or less if Boeing pushes for it.

Or, it means that he doesn't think Musk can do it in that time frame. I would tend to agree with him on that point. But I wouldn't mind being wrong.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Muilenburg believes Boeing can get there sooner or just expects Musk to miss his targets.
money.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, let capitalism rise into the stars for a few hundred years!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Better than Globalism.
edit on 10/5/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I'm relatively certain that companies might end up having legal jurisdiction over certain moons or planets.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'm relatively certain that companies might end up having legal jurisdiction over certain moons or planets.

Might end up?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

It would either be that or one of the Earth governments, or a new government even. There could be rebellions way down the line if enough colonists wanted.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Wishing success to both companies.

Imagine being an 8-year old listening to H. G. Wells’s 1938 broadcast of fake news bulletins covering the New Jersey invasion by Martians, then 86 years later at the age of 94 watchng man land on Mars.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

There is a lot of wealth to be had from the moon and Mars, and companies are just now starting to do things like collect asteroids.

Collect asteroids? Surveys are under way, would be nice to see some elemental charts of their composition.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I don't see the point of sending people at this time. For one, long long way to go. What is the mental capacity of a person subjected to that much isolation. They would also need to have sex to stay mentally healthy then the toll on their body. They would never be the same again more than likely. Way too many concerns from my end. Better to send unmanned until we can figure out how to shrink the travel time to a less than 6 months. Just too brutal on a human being. I know that Russian stayed in orbit for something like a year but what is his mental state right now. Would he condone it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

What is the mental capacity of a person subjected to that much isolation.

Being studied.

www.npr.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: EightAhoy
Wishing success to both companies.

Imagine being an 8-year old listening to H. G. Wells’s 1938 broadcast of fake news bulletins covering the New Jersey invasion by Martians, then 86 years later at the age of 94 watchng man land on Mars.

Maybe they read The Martian Chronicles, too... that would be interesting. I'm excited to get to see this during my lifetime, though!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

There is a lot of wealth to be had from the moon and Mars, and companies are just now starting to do things like collect asteroids.

Collect asteroids? Surveys are under way, would be nice to see some elemental charts of their composition.

It looks like government scientists are still planning the missions. One way is by capturing it in a bag. If corporations aren't looking into this, they should be.

NASA plans mission to capture asteroids using a big space bag

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Boeing have been involved in Space stuff since the early days of the space race:

www.boeing.com...

They were involved in the construction of the Lunar Orbiter probes that did the first comprehensive photographic survey of the moon in the mid 60s

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Boeing has been in the Space business for a long time; way longer than SpaceX. Why is it only now when SpaceX decides to go to Mars that Boeing decides they want to go to Mars...? Are they looking for someone to race...? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are doing it.
edit on 5-10-2016 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Our science is not up to this task yet.

Our propulsion systems are so antiquated that we will not be able to send a prompt rescue mission in the event of a failure mid journey, and I believe that to send anyone at all before hand would be wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I equate this announcement from Boeing with the one from Lockheed Martin in 2014 about cold fusion in 12 months. More hype to get free advertising in the MSM'. Get invested fire up.

www.defensenews.com...

I would love to see a colony on Mars in my lifetime, it was supposed to be the next stop after the moon in 1969. Well it's been 49 years and I am still waiting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join