It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital Charges to "Facilitate" Skin to Skin Contact for Father After C-Section

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Americans, please, PLEASE, stand up and demand that your government offer you better, cheaper, less retarded healthcare!

A father in Utah was billed an extra $40 on top of a $13000 hospital bill for a nurse to come in after his wife's c-section and "facilitate" skin to skin contact with his newborn. I am absolutely baffled by this.

Link. An American friend sent me this link with the comment, "Can you imagine?", and no, I cannot imagine.

The hospital states:

In general, Utah Valley Hospital is an advocate for skin-to-skin contact between a mother and newborn directly after birth. Skin-to-skin is a best practice with proven benefits for both mom and baby.

We do everything possible to allow skin-to-skin after both vaginal and C-section births. In the case of a C-section, where the bedside caregiver is occupied caring for the mother during surgery, an additional nurse is brought into the OR to allow the infant to remain in the OR suite with the mother. This is to ensure both patients remain safe. There is an additional charge associated with bringing an extra caregiver into the OR.

The charge is not for holding the baby, but for the additional caregiver needed to maintain the highest levels of patient safety.

And, I guess I see where they're coming from, but the U.S. can do so, so much better. All it takes to facilitate skin to skin contact for the father after a c-section...is handing the baby to him!

Thirteen thousand dollars to give birth! Yet, it's not as if they have a better infant mortality rate than countries with national health care systems. There HAS to be a better way for you guys.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Perhaps it took time and materials to de-contaminate the infant after being handled by the father.

With any of my four, I would gladly have paid that price, about two 12-packs of Miller Draft worth.

edit on 5-10-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Saw this on Tracebook earlier.

40 bucks to hold your own baby???

Lalaland.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

"Thirteen thousand dollars to give birth! Yet, it's not as if they have a better infant mortality rate than countries with national health care systems. There HAS to be a better way for you guys."

I suspect the infant mortality rate is that high in the US because every means available to modern medicine is used to save the unborn and that has got to include a lot of infants that came out with multiple strikes against them already.

link   
a reply to: Aliensun

No, you're worth more than that. Your baby doesn't need to be decontaminated after you touch it. You aren't an AIDS zombie!

Edit to add:

I suspect the infant mortality rate is that high in the US because every means available to modern medicine is used to save the unborn and that has got to include a lot of infants that came out with multiple strikes against them already.

This doesn't make sense to me. The infant mortality rate is based on infants who died, period; not infants who died who they thought were going to make it.
edit on 5-10-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

link   
That explains why the politicos are all for the "open borders"... If just 3 out of every 5th birth is in the US, We will be able to pay off our debt by the year 2125
Just charge the new fathers when they come and visit... Tada fixed it!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

That explains why the politicos are all for the "open borders"... If just 3 out of every 5th birth is in the US, We will be able to pay off our debt by the year 2125

Except they still won't give you all proper health care! More will be spent other places that will never or hardly benefit you, it seems.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Americans, please, PLEASE, stand up and demand that your government offer you better, cheaper, less retarded healthcare!

A father in Utah was billed an extra $40 on top of a $13000 hospital bill for a nurse to come in after his wife's c-section and "facilitate" skin to skin contact with his newborn. I am absolutely baffled by this.

Link. An American friend sent me this link with the comment, "Can you imagine?", and no, I cannot imagine.

The hospital states:

In general, Utah Valley Hospital is an advocate for skin-to-skin contact between a mother and newborn directly after birth. Skin-to-skin is a best practice with proven benefits for both mom and baby.

We do everything possible to allow skin-to-skin after both vaginal and C-section births. In the case of a C-section, where the bedside caregiver is occupied caring for the mother during surgery, an additional nurse is brought into the OR to allow the infant to remain in the OR suite with the mother. This is to ensure both patients remain safe. There is an additional charge associated with bringing an extra caregiver into the OR.

The charge is not for holding the baby, but for the additional caregiver needed to maintain the highest levels of patient safety.

And, I guess I see where they're coming from, but the U.S. can do so, so much better. All it takes to facilitate skin to skin contact for the father after a c-section...is handing the baby to him!

Thirteen thousand dollars to give birth! Yet, it's not as if they have a better infant mortality rate than countries with national health care systems. There HAS to be a better way for you guys.

Pretty ridiculous....just shows how much the Healthcare system here is all about money. Should be called the "Wealthcare" system....

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

This is why my wife gave birth at home and I delivered our daughter.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I take into account that many "premies" are born in the US with virtually a medical reason for every early, induced birth. If that child then dies within a year, it falls into the infant mortality rate for that country.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

This is why my wife gave birth at home and I delivered our daughter.

How do you manage to walk??, your balls must be the size of basketballs..

When my son was born (with the help of a medical team) i counted the toes then fell asleep for 12 hours with exhaustion ...

Top man

RA

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I saw this on facebook, and if true its unsurprising and stupid to the point of enraging.

The deal here is Obamacare promised better health care coverage, and what it gave us was a middle class that had the burden of support dumped on it (once again) through massive premium hikes. Of course the wealthy 3% don't mind a little higher premium, if they even have insurance. And the poor....get their care subsidized.

The only way to satisfy the majority, who wants decent healthcare, is to nationalize it. Which will obliterate a rather vigorous industry. Its a real fustercluck, that's for sure. And even with nationalized healthcare, expect the tax will hit the middle class the hardest. The poor don't pay taxes, neither do the wealthy. So there you go. I guess im screwed either way.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

We lived on Mt Hood, i ran an herb pharm and have a masters in oriental medicine, it was scarey and beautiful at the same time. Shes almost 6 now watchin finding nemo while i play pool in the barn. Moms back in night school

edit on 5-10-2016 by BlueJacket because: Emoji

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It was probably just itemized billing for the materials that they had to use to prevent whatever infection that the family would sue for later on. We have a saying in healthcare CYA ( cover your ass).

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

13 k ? wow..... can you or someone remind me what it costs if you break a leg or an arm in America?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

I'm really not sure! When I broke my foot in Canada the bill they sent me was...they didn't.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

originally posted by: JimNasium

Except they still won't give you all proper health care! More will be spent other places that will never or hardly benefit you, it seems.

Ats- Believe Me when I type: The whole "Affordable Healthcare" is a money grabbing scheme. In My opinion, it is the "Insurance Cabals" turn at 'The Trough' This is the spigot of FREE $$$ provided by US taxpayers. In 2008 it was the 'Autos' turn with their 'bail-out'. Then after the CEOs enjoyed raises and bonuses, they turned it over to the 'Banksters/MoneyLenders' turn. "Affordable Healthcare" was authored by folks from the Insurance Industry.

In 2004, I was on 7 Rx meds. and had a co-pay of $20.00. In Feb. 2014 I started to get $1207/month deducted from My police retirement (I was retired early due to a broken back/neck in 2004).... I only take 2 Rx meds now. My bp went from 140/100 on 2 Rx meds. to 0 meds and My bp is 126/73. Cholesterol went from 373 to 153. When I became "healthy" now I have to PAY, PAY, PAY!!

"They" are trying to make "Haves" out of "Have Nots" and "They" are using the middle's $$$. I'm in the middle.

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have 4 kids and zero hospital bills. My taxes as a small business owner is smaller than the average tax I'd pay if I was an American plus the threat of going to jail for unpaid taxes. Go merica!
edit on 8-10-2016 by Slickinfinity because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2016 by Slickinfinity because: Spelling

top topics

join