It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

NSA contractor arrested, criminally charged with stealing secrets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
NSA worker arrested. It would be interesting to know how this all came about but bets are most details will be withheld.

Another Snowden, just someone looking to sell secrets, or something else altogether?

A government contractor with top-secret clearance was arrested in late August and criminally charged with “unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials by a government employee or contractor,” according to the Department of Justice.

The New York Times reported that the worker was a Booz Allen Hamilton contractor working on behalf of the National Security Agency.
A statement provided by Martin's unnamed lawyers to The New York Times declares, “We have not seen any evidence. But what we know is that Hal Martin loves his family and his country. There is no evidence that he intended to betray his country.”
A large percentage of the materials recovered from Martin’s residence and vehicle bore markings indicating that they were property of the United States and contained highly classified information of the United States, including Top Secret and Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI).
MARTIN stated that he knew he did not have authorization to retain the materials at his residence or in his vehicle. MARTIN stated that he knew what he had done was wrong and that he should not have done it because he knew it was unauthorized.

Link

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Link to Dept of Justice release.

Baltimore, Maryland – A criminal complaint has been filed charging Harold Thomas Martin III, age 51, of Glen Burnie, Maryland, with theft of government property and unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials by a government employee or contractor. According to the affidavit filed in support of the criminal complaint, Martin was a contractor with the federal government and had a top secret national security clearance. Martin was arrested late on August 27, 2016. The complaint was filed on August 29, 2016, and unsealed today

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Uhh, don't they unathorized steal all of our secrets and information, and we have proof of this? How can charge the NSA? This country is like nazi germany right now. I'm glad I'm not circumcised, in case they decide to round up all the Jews again and do a spot check.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

edit on 5-10-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

edit on 5-10-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

So, how similar is this circumstance, to what hillary did concerning having secret material in an unsecure location? If it is truly the intent to sell the information that is illegal, will they need to prove his intent to do so?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Was Mr. Martin actually trying to steal some 'TOP SECRET' secrets or was He just returning some e-mails to The Clinton Cabal?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

During execution of the warrants, investigators located hard copy documents and digital information stored on various devices and removable digital media.

In addition, investigators located property of the United States with an aggregate value in excess of $1,000, which Martin allegedly stole.

If convicted, Martin faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials, and ten years in prison for theft of government property

Looks like stealing staplers, office supplies, etc gets a person more time then the top secret data.

In fairness though, it didn't mention what that property was. I would think it had to be small enough to sneak out of the building. Still, secrets seem to be less valuable or important.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I willing to bet he wasn't allowed to take work home.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

How and Why would an NSA operator leave evidence of what he had done, on what PC and whatever else, it does not make sense to me how easy they say they got him and he admitted it. Just a thought

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: northwestuk

Yes, seems like he wasn't in it for a release or to sell secrets. Maybe just a strange personality and did it for his own satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yea but did he "intend" to.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Good question. Was he stealing to compile evidence and release it to the public OR is he a spy? I'm wonder if we'll ever know because if he is a Snowden 2.0 the gov't will withhold that info and call him a traitor, I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I just saw a report on CBS about this and they say he stole computer codes. The information he stole is said to be a threat to national security. He probably doesn't mind admitting it because he's hoping to get the same fame as Snowden. Whatever it was will probably be leaked, like Snowden's was.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

What did they mean by "computer codes". Was it software?

"bore markings indicating that they were property of the United States and contained highly classified information of the United States, including Top Secret and Sensitive Compartmented Information".

That part of the material sounds like paper. There was also mention of digital so it sounds like both mediums.

Doubt we'll ever know much about the actual material.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
"Nothing happens when You get to the 9th Level; the game just starts over, all You get when You get there is a re-boot..."

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
funny enough (or not really)

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. secretly arrested a National Security Agency contractor in recent weeks and is investigating whether he stole and disclosed highly classified computer codes developed to hack into the networks of foreign governments, according to several senior law enforcement and intelligence officials.

he stole the codes we use to steal intel from other governments....

'Murka.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Snowden tweeted about this today saying "This is huge" and commenting about him being the person behind reports the NSA sat on huge flaws in US products. Not sure what flaws he's talking about.

He also seemed surprised that he is not being charged under the Espionage Act. I believe more will come out about this spy.
They seem to be downplaying it a little by saying they don't think he planned on sharing with foreign governments. I don't see how they can conclude that.
twitter.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

"I can’t think of any prosecutions that have had at least the speculation of the large scale insider threat that The New York Times appears to be saying,"

this has got Psy-Op written all over it,.. is there a better way to deflect any further examination of Hillarys mishandling of classified materials , having this hanging over her as president is unacceptable and Obama can't pardon her cause it just looks bad.. so ya make a big stink in the New York Times about the how someone mishandled classified materials then after a while drop it because there is no evidence that the intention was to betray the country, thereby absolving Hillary of receiving any special treatment and justice is the same reguardless of status. then continue business as usual.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So they may be talking about hacking tools. Could the info be something along this line.

The NSA Is Hoarding Vulnerabilities

The National Security Agency is lying to us. We know that because of data stolen from an NSA server was dumped on the Internet. The agency is hoarding information about security vulnerabilities in the products you use, because it wants to use it to hack others' computers. Those vulnerabilities aren't being reported, and aren't getting fixed, making your computers and networks unsafe.

On August 13, a group calling itself the Shadow Brokers released 300 megabytes of NSA cyberweapon code on the Internet. Near as we experts can tell, the NSA network itself wasn't hacked; what probably happened was that a "staging server" for NSA cyberweapons -- that is, a server the NSA was making use of to mask its surveillance activities -- was hacked in 2013.

Link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join