It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

#ThatMexicanThing Dominates Twitter Following VP Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The preferred narrative of the Trump campaign and Trump supporters is that the VP debate was won by Pence because Kaine interrupted Pence 72 times. 72 times. That's right 72 times. You better get used to "72 times" because that's a stat you're going to be hearing (or if you're a Trump supporter, saying) about 72 million times in the next few days.

Why? Because there's finally something for Trump supporters to cling to and cling they will.

Never mind the fact that Trump interrupted Hillary Clinton nearly as many times (what was THAT number? 51-52?) and expunge from your minds the fact that the presidential candidate — who despite your immediate buyer's remorse — is Donald Trump who unlike Kaine, couldn't manage to come up with coherent answers between interruptions.

As much as Pence won the night, his win only underscores how bad a candidate Trump is. Why? Because Pence won by being the anti-Trump. Pence didn't fall for the bait that Trump can't help but fall for every single time. Pence didn't get caught up trying to apologize for Trump because he knew that anything he said would sound ridiculous — because there are no real defenses for Trump. He tested the waters with the "he's not a polished politician" bit but he knew it sounded weak and so he chose to ignore. That worked for Pence but does it really work for Trump?

To me the biggest deal was how little what Pence was saying resembled anything that Trump has said. It was like listening to somebody from an entirely different campaign. I almost wonder if the two have ever really had a conversation? It's almost like McCain/Palin except in this case, the roles are reversed and the presidential candidate is the feckless trainwreck whose only "quality" is saying stupid things into a microphone and the VP candidate is the coherent, (mostly) rational part of the ticket.

So yes, I understand the giddiness with which Pence supporters — sorry I meant Trump supporters — are repeating "72 times" today. After all, it's been a rough week for them with their candidate's terrible debate performance, his slipping poll numbers, the failure of the WikiLeaks+Russia team to deliver the much anticipated Trump relief package and a candidate who is so triggered that he can't stop himself from having an embarassing Twitter meltdown. Even his supporters are suffering from Trump fatigue now which is why Pence was able to lift their spirits.

But it's hard to escape the perverse irony in applauding Pence for not being Trump.

That's a fact that's not lost on the "other side" either which is why #ThatMexicanThing is the only trending VP debate related hashtag on Twitter. These folks haven't forgotten that Trump is the name at the top of the ticket even if his supporters have managed to do so temporarily.

Enjoy "72 times" if you want but it's ultimately a self-defeating meme that will be of little comfort in the next "big show" when Trump gets his ass handed to him again by Clinton and it'll be all but forgotten when Donald Trump loses the GE and Pence starts planning his 2020 run.
edit on 2016-10-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I was about to say something but I don't want to interrupt you.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am also excited for the Sunday debate!

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well written Opening Post there.

You introduced several tangents and side topics all in one.

I think Trump's "Indiana Luck" streak continues.

While Pence was forced to dodge some planted questions, Kaine blew his chance to dominate the debate with the interruptions.

All he had to do was shut up and knock off his innocent little boy act.

Kaine exposed his bitter jealousy and his need to "get the last word".

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I have already commented to you that I think that Trump does need to take from Pence's example if he is to be more successful in the next debate.

With that said, I find this conversation about Twitter and trends to be amusing. Just last night when people were pointing out how Twitter seemed overwhelmingly for Pence, people said that didn't matter. When it is pointed out that Trump has way more followers on almost all social media including Twitter, and many more likes, it is brushed off as people saying "Well it doesn't matter because more Trump supporters use Twitter"

So either Twitter matters or not. If it matters in this sense with #thatMexicanthing then all of the twitter traends about her deplorable comments, or her email or the clinton foundation must also matter.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The bar is set so low for Pence the fact that he didn't have a mental meltdown like Trump means he won lol.

These are the same clowns that said Trump beat Hilary when the whole world seen Hillary mop the floor with the skunk on his head.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedMenace16

The bar is set so low for Pence the fact that he didn't have a mental meltdown like Trump means he won lol.

These are the same clowns that said Trump beat Hilary when the whole world seen Hillary mop the floor with the skunk on his head.

Name calling, making fun of Trumps appearance.

Well, you must be a sexist!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Trump/Pence will rule into 2024. Accept it, enjoy it, and reap the fruits of the last eight years.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

With that said, I find this conversation about Twitter and trends to be amusing. Just last night when people were pointing out how Twitter seemed overwhelmingly for Pence, people said that didn't matter. When it is pointed out that Trump has way more followers on almost all social media including Twitter, and many more likes, it is brushed off as people saying "Well it doesn't matter because more Trump supporters use Twitter"

That could be easily turned around:

Despite Trump having far more support on Twitter, following the VP debate, it's the #thatMexicanthing hash tag that came out on top. That could be taken as saying something about how little Pence's performance translated to enthusiasm for Trump.

I won't BS you though. I honestly don't put too much stock in social media trends as an accurate measure of the whole of public sentiment, particularly when it comes to politics. Certain demographics are disproportionately represented, it's too easy to skew, etc.

It was more of an interesting prop to illustrate my point about why Pence winning the debate might not be that great for Donald Trump.

This isn't lost on me either:

"it is pointed out that Trump has way more followers on almost all social media including Twitter"

Which made #thatMexicanthing that much more attractive for my purposes.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

That's a fact that's not lost on the "other side" either which is why #ThatMexicanThing is the only trending VP debate related hashtag on Twitter.

Oh, so you write all that, and then you just "whip out that Mexican thing?"

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thats fair if thats the angle you want to take.

However, I could also show that the fact that the mainstream media is so against Trump, and the fact that many people admitted that Pence did well shows how much Pence dominated.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well then I would argue that the MSM so easily giving the win to Pence only shows that they're not exhibiting undue bias and that Donald Trump really is just that bad.

edit on 2016-10-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Well then I would argue that the MSM so easily giving the win to Pence only shows that they're not exhibiting undue bias and that Donald Trump really is just that bad.

Ha! Thats really good! Well you are fun to chat with as always!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
OK. I'm missing the point. What's the Mexican thing and why is it related to this debate?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I think we have some of the better discussions on ATS myself.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Let's be clear here, without your spin,
Yes I feel as a trump supporter that he could have done better in his debate against HRC.
But by no means did he have a meltdown.

If anything he showed to much restraint .

As far as the pence/kaine debate..
Kaine came across as a belligerent,petulant, and angry child..

It's funny to watch the spin machine at work. You do realize you do have to win, Before you rewrite history..

~meathead

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

link   
a reply to: intrepid

"Senator, you've whipped out that Mexican thing again......."

It's hard for a girl to get that kind of imagery out of ones' pretty little head!

edit on 5-10-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: intrepid
OK. I'm missing the point. What's the Mexican thing and why is it related to this debate?

Kaine brought up Trumps comments about Mexicans several times throughout the debate. He did so toward the end and Pence responded with something like "You are bringing up that Mexican thing again" (I don't know if this is an exact quote.

Anyway, people think that Pence's use of this phrase was belittling the hurtfulness of Trumps statement, and many are upset.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Cool. Thanks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join