It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Two Belgian Police Officers Stabbed in Suspected Terror Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
CNN

Two police officers were stabbed in the Brussels district of Schaarbeek on Wednesday, a Federal Prosecutor's Office spokesman said.

The spokespersen states terrorism is suspected.

This is a developing story.

Mirror

The officers were checking a man when he pulled out a knife and attacked them, HLN reported.One officer suffered a knife wound to the neck while the other suffered a wound to the abdomen.A third officer was punched in the face as the suspect resisted arrest.

edit on 5-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Belgian counter terror prosecutors stepped in to investigate the incident, an indication the case was being treated as a possible militant attack.It was one of two incidents which sent a scare through Brussels on Wednesday.Earlier, a bomb threat at the Brussels-North train station turned out to be a false alarm.

It is not clear what kind of terror attack, yet

Schaerbeek is one of the Brussels neighbourhoods that have been tied to Islamist extremism - along with Molenbeek - following the attacks.Schaerbeek was home to ISIS bomb maker Najim Laachraoui, one of two suicide bombers who killed innocent people at Brussels Airport.

in March.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

From Source:

The suspect was shot in the leg, and his injuries were not serious

In the Leg..?!

They should arm themselves with these...higher damage per round.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This is why we need background checks and registration for all knives.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

Wow you're so original.

I wonder why I've never heard that one before?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Wow you're so original.

I wonder why I've never heard that one before?

I am not sure.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Your point is legitimate, but your methodology is not sound, nor your choice of forum for its being bought up. This is nothing to do with guns, and the debate you want to have is not happening in this thread, even if you would very much like to have it here. If you want to have THAT kind of discussion, then make a new thread, include a link to the same subject matter, and do it right!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

do it right!

Ok.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Since "shooting to wound," or the question as to why our police can't just shoot someone in the leg is bound to pop up here, I'm just going to head it off at the pass:

Studies by the Force Science Research Center reveal some of the practical problems with these positions. Lewinski explains some of the basics of human dynamics and anatomy and the relative risks of misses and hits:

"Hands and arms can be the fastest-moving body parts. For example, an average suspect can move his hand and forearm across his body to a 90-degree angle in 12/100 of a second. He can move his hand from his hip to shoulder height in 18/100 of a second.

"The average officer pulling the trigger as fast as he can on a Glock, one of the fastest- cycling semi-autos, requires 1/4 second to discharge each round.

"There is no way an officer can react, track, shoot and reliably hit a threatening suspect's forearm or a weapon in a suspect's hand in the time spans involved.

"Even if the suspect held his weapon arm steady for half a second or more, an accurate hit would be highly unlikely, and in police shootings the suspect and his weapon are seldom stationary. Plus, the officer himself may be moving as he shoots.

"The upper arms move more slowly than the lower arms and hands. But shooting at the upper arms, there's a greater chance you're going to hit the suspect's brachial artery or center mass, areas with a high probability of fatality. So where does shooting only to wound come in when even areas considered by some to 'safe' from fatality risk could in fact carry the same level of risk as targeting center mass?

"Legs tend initially to move slower than arms and to maintain more static positions. However, areas of the lower trunk and upper thigh are rich with vascularity. A suspect who's hit there can bleed out in seconds if one of the major arteries is severed, so again shooting just to wound may not result in just wounding.

"On the other hand, if an officer manages to take a suspect's legs out non-fatally, that still leaves the offender's hands free to shoot. His ability to threaten lives hasn't necessarily been stopped."

Source

But to stay on topic, I'm glad the police officers' injuries were not life-threatening, although they easily could have been. I'd also like to know if shooting for the leg is a common way Belgian officers are trained, because there sure seem to be a lot of cases where Belgian officers shoot someone in the leg. And if it is, I'd also like to know the relative ratio of hits to misses, and efficacy of neutralizing the threat when hit.

I wish our officers were trained well enough to effectively shoot in the leg, but they're not.

Also, may be time to implement that German chainmail armor, it seems...
edit on 5-10-2016 by SlapMonkey because: coding

top topics

join