It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

QUIT Clownin' Around!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I guess clowns are the next boogymen, out to harm you.

For all of the "reports" and "sightings" around the U.S. there has been one arrest, and no actual harm done in the extremely limited instances where there was actually someone dressed as a clown involved. Mostly just a few instances of people dressing like clowns and basically posing for security cameras. No trying to abduct kids, no jumping out at people, no trying to distract drivers. Really nothing illegal going on at all, in the limited instances reported and verified.

Bunch of folklore for future generations with little actual fact to support the tales. It just isn't happening on any noticeable level.

Just 2016's version of razor blades in Halloween candy.
edit on 5-10-2016 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I know that there have been supposed "trying to lure kids into the woods" incidents, but have any of the clowns actually done anything malicious?

Trying to lure children into a secluded area doesn't seem malicious to you? Dressing up and jumping out at people deliberately, for the sole purpose of frightening them for their own personal entertainment isn't malicious in any way? Believe it or not, it is entirely possible to literally scare a person to death.

If I found a person dressed in a costume attempting to lure my child into the woods or some other secluded location, I would certainly judge that behavior as being malicious, and react accordingly. That could be a pedophile or kidnapper or killer under there. That possibility alone would be enough to alarm me, and parents who are voicing concerns about their kids being approached are worried about the same thing.

If there was, instead of a clown, a creepy man in a dark trench coat trying to lure children into the woods, people would be freaking out and demanding that law enforcement do something about it. But a clown doing the same thing is just a harmless bit of fun? Literally anyone could be under that face paint...if people are ridiculed into not reporting things like that to the police, child predators will have the perfect opportunity to prey upon any kids they like, because no one will take the concerns of their parents seriously.

It's not just a bunch of people with a silly fear of clowns, whining about being scared. There are very real concerns here, particularly for children...which is going to gain a child's immediate trust more successfully, a creepy guy in regular clothes ("stranger danger") or a smiling, dancing clown (familiar and fun) playfully beckoning from the edge of the woods?

There have been numerous disturbing comments on these threads, dismissing reports of clowns luring children as simply a harmless prank and a silly overreaction on the part of the parents. I think their laughter and derision would do a quick 180 if one of those harmless clowns suddenly snatched one of those kids and did something horrible to the child. It's all fun and games til people find out that Pennywise isn't actually fictional after all.

My post is directed at the general public, by the way; your post just makes an excellent example, especially with regard to the welfare of children being approached by these people. That should never be OK, no matter what the person may or may not be wearing.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Either they are committing crimes or they aren't. What they are dressed as while committing them (or not) is irrelevant.

Sure, it's creepy. But I'm creeped out by jacked-up trucks with rebel flags on them and, recently, people dressed as cops (i.e. cops). So this clown thing is weird and interesting but, if they aren't keying my car or chasing me down a street, I'm just gonna wave, smile, and keep driving past them.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
STOP CLOWNING AROUND

Anyone wearing clown masks should stop lurking around to "prevent further upset," said police

On Tuesday morning a number of Instagram accounts went live, indicating that there were active clowns lurking in various locations across the Halifax Regional Municipality. Doug Hadley, spokesman from the Halifax Regional School Board, told Metro that at approximately 10 a.m. the halifax_clowns account posted a picture of a clown lurking near the wooded area outside of Halifax West High School

Cpl. Dal Hutchinson of Halifax RCMP said Tuesday the clown phenomenon is something new that the RCMP nation-wide are not used to dealing with, and advises against partaking in the trend. “Someone with a mask on, dressed up as a clown right now during all the unrest that people have because of what’s been on social media, is not a wise thing to do,” he said. “There are things that police can do to attempt to stop you from such behaviour to prevent you from causing further upset.”

Multiple other accounts posted photos claiming to have clowns deployed in both Hammonds Plains and Dartmouth on Tuesday morning, striking enough fear in the population to inspire one individual to start a locally-based ‘anti.clowns’ page. Metro reached out to them via Instagram, and although they wished to remain anonymous they said they have no intention of vigilante action - only to raise awareness of the growing phenomenon

Do you get it now KIDDOS ??? Obviously this is a snippet of incidents local to me, but the same thing is happening in multiple places. It's not funny anymore. It has passed the threshold of joking around and innocent fun. You now have both police watching you, and neighborhood groups which may or may not result in charges or harm to you. Got that? Stupid is as stupid does.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

This rise in sightings and outright threats from individuals who think it's comical to dress up and scare the hell out of people has got to be stopped. I cannot even wrap my brain around what must go on in the mentality of these people.

I absolutely agree with you.
If memory serves me, this has been happening for several years now and always around this time of year.

I'm not sure why the pranksters have fixated on clowns but likely it has something to do with some folks horrible fear of them (clowns). I read that perhaps 10 % or more of the adult population has a phobia of clowns.

Our local schools went on alert due to threats made on social media from one or more of the 'clown' pranksters. The threats were similar to other times that violence or bomb threats have been made (It's odd to say that so matter of factly) except these were made by someone using multiple fake social media accounts and sending those threats, via texts, to a large number of the student body who are connected through those same social media sites.

It is highly possible, IMO, that these threats were conducted in hopes that the schools would close and mid terms may be delayed until after the Fall break which is next week. It's a shame for the students who actually study for their tests and want to score well and now have this distraction.

Ironically, to me, the members of my community seemed quite outraged (some found it silly) with the police for taking the threats (which began last night) seriously by posting extra officers at the entrances/exits and controlling them. The HIgh schools are open door but the elementary schools office personnel must buzz you in for entry. It's just absurd, to me, that folks in my area of the US seem more irritated by the actions of law enforcement than the jerk offs scaring kids and wasting resources on their immature little pranks.

Had there been any merit to the threats and the officials had not responded in advance with the seriousness that any threat deserves, those same folks would have been crying police negligence the loudest.

Thanks for entertaining my anecdote.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

There have been no proven accounts of any clowns trying to lure young children into the woods. The much publicized incident from a few weeks ago (maybe a month) turned out to be a hoax, The kids made up the story.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

I will answer, if you don't mind, your first question.

Of course I find it malicious, if in fact they are actually doing that, but it does seem that was made up. As I stated in my first post, I would personally beat the crap out of someone, if they tried that with my grandsons. With a weapon, if I had to.

But as far as just scaring people? I'm fine with that. I love to be scared. I scare the heck out of kids on Halloween. That is the point, or it used to be.
(Personally, I do have an age limited, they have to look older than 6 or 7, I'm not a monster, LOL)

I don't know, guess I was just raised different.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Hate to say it, but I can almost guarantee that when "IT" is released next September as scheduled...Halloween will be twice as bad as this year. I think it's mostly kids too, sadly, with the odd older creep thrown into the mix. I don't know who started this whole "Aint clownin around" thing on social media, but it's been shut down, so we may never find out for sure.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Either they are committing crimes or they aren't. What they are dressed as while committing them (or not) is irrelevant.

Sure, it's creepy. But I'm creeped out by jacked-up trucks with rebel flags on them and, recently, people dressed as cops (i.e. cops). So this clown thing is weird and interesting but, if they aren't keying my car or chasing me down a street, I'm just gonna wave, smile, and keep driving past them.

It's come to the point now with all the publicity surrounding it, that anyone seen wearing a clown costume before Halloween will likely be seen as suspicious and/or malicious. Always the bad apples spoiling the barrel...

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think clowns are a threat to our society. Some people. Not me. Say that my opponent wants to let un-vetted clowns run rampant across our country. I think this is bad. Very bad. What I propose. And many people agree with me. Many, many people. Is to build a wall around circuses so clowns cannot gain access to our schools and roadways. A great wall. A really tremendous wall. And we will use what I call extreme, extreme vetting. Extreme vetting. To make sure that the clowns that do come here are not a threat. And we will get the Ringling Brother's to pay for it.

I don't know what you do for a living but you should seriously consider writing for like Comedy Central or something.

Edit: because, you know... You're much funnier than Trevor Noah.

edit on 10/5/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Do you get it now KIDDOS ???

dont you get it?
its only the feigned outrage by people like yourself that encourages this.
if it wasnt for you reaction, they simply wouldnt bother.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

'Clown Lives Matter' march planned for Oct. 15 in Tucson

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Organizers are planning a "Clown Lives Matter" march for October 15 in Tucson in reaction to the recent spate of frightening incidents -- both real and imagined -- spread in the news and on social media.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

CLM

My curiosity is piqued!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Im driving in my car and a clown steps onto the road. He is then run over. Reversed, and run over again.

Sorry officer, it was an accident.

I accidentally drove over that clown 15 times.

On a more serious note, what does this say about our society ?

It says that we're a bunch of neanderthal monkeys still swinging from the trees who don't give two flying fiddlers' farts about our fellow human kind.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

Do you get it now KIDDOS ???

dont you get it?
its only the feigned outrage by people like yourself that encourages this.
if it wasnt for you reaction, they simply wouldnt bother.

Nope. It's a lack of teaching kids consequences to their stupid ideas that causes this.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Interesting update :
Clowns Chase School Children
Last night my 15 year old son, logged into his Facebook and actually alerted me to all the "friend suggestions" of other kids who had changed their profile pictures to clowns or clown masks, and their names to include either "Clown or Klown". It's disturbing now. I understand this all started a few years ago as maybe harmless pranks and fun. It really isn't fun anymore.
CBC radio show The Current aired an interview this morning with a woman who is a professional clown and she herself stated that what these people are doing is malicious and it has nothing to do with Halloween or the art of Clowning. Another guest was Benjamin Radford, the author of BAD CLOWNS who describes the phenomena as copycats after copycats. He gave a very deep, real insight into what is causing the rise of people doing this. For anyone interested in either reading the transcript of this segment, or listening to the podcast, it will be available after 5pm today here CBC Radio The Current

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

'Clown Lives Matter' march planned for Oct. 15 in Tucson

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Organizers are planning a "Clown Lives Matter" march for October 15 in Tucson in reaction to the recent spate of frightening incidents -- both real and imagined -- spread in the news and on social media.

It is my understanding that this event was started by a guy who is employed/ hired actor by a haunted house themed attraction. In a sense I get where he is coming from. However, when people willingly go to these attractions, they are expecting to be scared. When a clown jumps out at you from the bushes, or in front of your car, or harasses your kids at school..it is not the same thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

So how do you suppose we put a stop to this clowning around?

I was hoping to make an example out of one.

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

So how do you suppose we put a stop to this clowning around?

I was hoping to make an example out of one.

In all honesty, until somebody gets seriously hurt either as a direct result of a person dressed as a clown, or the clown themselves gets hurt because they scared the wrong person...there is nothing anyone can do. Dressing as Batman and going all vigilante is not an answer and puts you on the same level. Each area will have to judge for itself whether or not to outright ban it. I can tell you this...not a single store I went to recently has a clown costume or mask. either they have all sold, or been yanked from the shelves. Either way, November 1, they'll pack it all in till next year I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join