It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Blue Origin Probably Destroy a Rocket.. Live Webcast starting soon!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm sure we ALL need a break from the political threads on here... Well, for those who are aerospace enthusiasts, Blue Origin has a launch & live webcast starting within the hour. They will be testing out safety features with the crew capsule with this launch, which when they deploy, at Max Q, it will VERY likely send the stage 1 booster back down to Earth with a loud explosion, seeing as the rocket will be carrying its full fuel load.

In these early days of commercial spaceflight, rockets die in spectacular accidents—but also, sometimes, on purpose. This morning, you can watch Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket go out in a fiery blaze of glory somewhere in the Texas desert, so that future space tourists don’t meet the same fate.

At least, that is probably how things will go down on the rocket’s fifth flight, an on-air test of the launch abort system that’ll separate the crew capsule from the New Shepard rocket’s booster at an altitude of 16,000 feet. The system is designed to propel humans to safety should anything go wrong with the blazing tube of fire they’re strapped to on their trip into orbit. In such an emergency, the capsule detaches from the booster, its engines fire for two seconds, parachutes deploy, and frightened human cargo floats safely back to Earth.

The booster itself probably won’t survive. It’ll be getting slammed with a lot of destabilizing, off-axis force as the crew capsule makes its daring getaway. Blue Origin fully expects the rocket to tumble back to terra firma and produce a spectacular fireball somewhere in the desert. If, somehow, the booster make it through the ordeal intact, Jeff Bezos has promised to retire its five flight veteran with dignity in a museum.

Either way, this launch abort system test should be well worth your while to watch. As Blue Origin wrote in a recent blog post, “Our next flight is going to be dramatic no matter how it ends.”

The action begins at 10:45 AM EDT (7:45 AM PDT) and you can follow along with us right here.

Link to article

Link to live stream

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

So if it is a rather slow reacting problem with the booster, the capsule can maybe get away. But if it is an sudden explosion of the booster, it can be expected that the capsule won't survive either? I can imagine the capsule blasting away, but not quick enough and pin-wheeling at a terrific rate.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: jhn7537

So if it is a rather slow reacting problem with the booster, the capsule can maybe get away. But if it is an sudden explosion of the booster, it can be expected that the capsule won't survive either? I can imagine the capsule blasting away, but not quick enough and pin-wheeling at a terrific rate.

Yea, likely any sudden explosion at 16000 ft (near Max Q) with a full fuel load will likely be total devastation to the rocket, but if its a problem they see and need to react/get away from the test today will show if the crew capsule can safely release and eject away...
edit on 5-10-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm in...Thanks for the link.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I'm in...Thanks for the link.

Welcome!

Under 5 minutes to go!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I was excited about this when I read about it the other day. Wonder why it is being delayed right now?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I rescind my questions and comments.
edit on 10/5/2016 by NerdGoddess because: to delete questions and comments regarding this spectacular test launch.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
on hold....could be cancelled for the day.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
bummer...Stream stopped. My guess is test is off also.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

They added another 14 minutes to the countdown anyway.

edit on 5-10-2016 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

The "T"minus is now ticking down again 13:30 still looks like a go

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
9 mins to go... thanks for the link

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
yeahhhhh go for launch!!! grab your popcorn!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
4:30 to go

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Lets do this!!!!! (Popcorn in hand)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Sweet, it looks like all is going well. AWESOME

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
Sweet, it looks like all is going well. AWESOME

It's going as perfect as we'd hope it could go.... The booster was supposed to be lost, or a high liklihood... this is simply remarkable that it went all the way to apogee after the crew capsule shot away

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
That is what i call a success

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Wow! How impressive was that?!? Great job Blue Origin!

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
That was pretty awesome. What a piece of engineering. well done Team Giant flying tallywhacker.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join