It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems are a bunch of hypocrites on taxes!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Any conservative applauding Trumps gaming of the system can never say anything about people taking advantage of welfare again.

It is funny, when Liberals make less money, the successful one is always cheating.

Buncha crybullies, those guys are, I tell ya.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Its legal to harbour homophobic, xenophobic, anti-poor, anti-science views as well.

Do you want that in your politics too? See, that is where this whole "Legal vs Just" issue comes to pieces. What is legal is not even nearly important. What is just is important, and neither candidate is just. Picking between them would be legal, but engaging with a process so flawed as to produce either of these as a winner, is frankly idiotic.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

"Critical" and "hypocritical" aren't the same thing. As I already posted in this very thread, being a hypocrite deals with claiming to hold one position while doing things that are against that very position. Like saying we're against torture while torturing opponents. By definition, Trump is a hypocrite on outsourcing and foreign labor.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Its legal to harbour homophobic, xenophobic, anti-poor, anti-science views as well.

Do you want that in your politics too? See, that is where this whole "Legal vs Just" issue comes to pieces. What is legal is not even nearly important. What is just is important, and neither candidate is just. Picking between them would be legal, but engaging with a process so flawed as to produce either of these as a winner, is frankly idiotic.

I couldn't agree with you more, but over here in the US, the entire media has been hijacked.
The "masses are a__" thing and all.
A third party won't pass. The momentum can't build up when we are being bombarded with the 2 choice option.
They have it on lockdown.
We can't really do anything but pick the best of the worst to run an already rotten to the core system.
It is starting to get depressing.

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Trump can afford to pay the tax he avoids paying.

Why does that matter? Why would ANYONE volunteer to pay more taxes than is legally required?

It should be noted that there's a huge and legal difference between avoiding tax and evading tax.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

But no ethical difference, right?

Because what is lawful is not always just, is it?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What is unethical about not paying taxes you don't have to pay?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Well, we could argue that since the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled over the years that the sixteenth amendment does not grant the government a right to raise a tax on income, that no one should be paying any, but regular folk get arrested when they fail to file a 1040, so I learned just today!

Point is though, one rule for bigwigs and another for everyone else, does not wash.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

That's not what happened here.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

That post needs it's own thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Ah yes. They do it, so why should it bother you that I do it?

You know what the difference between Trump, and a person who actually works for a living is? Trump can afford to pay the tax he avoids paying. Just saying. Perhaps its time your people elected a president who is not stinking rich and part of the problem? Thats a thought, eh?

So what?

You are saying there should be laws for thee and not for me? Why are you special?

Poor or not, if the purpose of taxes is to fund the government and we are now making that an unparalleled patriotic virtue, then it sounds to me like you don't want to be virtuous, but you sure do want others to be virtuous on your behalf because you think they can afford it while you can't.

This is the same line of thinking that wants others to pony up for all kinds of things people don't want to pony up for themselves like health care, education, internet, housing, clothing, etc. Sure it's no fun to be responsible for yourself, but it is part of the responsibility of liberty.

What you let others provide for you, those same others can also withhold or fail to provide to a standard that is acceptable or even minimally adequate.

But sure, now let's make forcing the rest of society to pay your share of the taxes a new "right" like so many other things these days that people don't want to spend their money on.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Well, we could argue that since the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled over the years that the sixteenth amendment does not grant the government a right to raise a tax on income, that no one should be paying any, but regular folk get arrested when they fail to file a 1040, so I learned just today!

Point is though, one rule for bigwigs and another for everyone else, does not wash.

But Trump didn't fail to file. If he had, there would have been no documents to be leaked.

What he did was take legal exemptions the same way the rest of us do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join