It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer updating against instructions given.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I run win 7 Home Edition SP1 and FF

Microsoft just updated my computer over the top of my settings.

I had updates Disabled and Stopped in the Services section and I had "Never Check for Updates' in the Choose How Microsoft Can Install Updates.

However, in the Windows Updates, its red with Check for Updates for Your Computer

Below that there is a "find out more about Free Software from Null and along side that is "Check for Updates" in blue text.

is there anything more I can do to stop my computer from doing updates unless it tell it to?

thanks to all.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
BLOCK THE PROCESS AT THE FIREWALL?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

This is only a time filler until you get a decent answer and not directed at you:

You mistakenly think that you are in charge of your computer.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I heard Microsoft was doing the whole forced bs on there older OS's starting at some point, Like they do with windows 10 now. I can link you to a thread that shows how to stop windows 10, perhaps some of the tips might help for windows 7 as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com... I have a commented posted in the thread with a bunch of software, I'm not sure that it would work on windows 7. I suggest trying to find something simulare, or even updating your OS (Although that's probably what microsoft wants you to do heh)

Double check that you do in fact have them disabled though, just in case.

Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change Settings, Under Important Updates select "Never check for updates..."
edit on 5-10-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Micorsoft wants everyone to upgarde to windows 10 so they dont got to fix the old O.S...
Allso win10 has NSA back doors on it...

Time to learn how to use linux computers

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
That said, it's never a good idea to turn off updates. Most of the updates will be security related. I set mine to check for updates but let me choose what to download and install.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Its this weird sort of world we find ourselves living in. Because something is connected to a wire that runs outside , they can come 'in' your computer and effect changes now.

Imagine coming home and finding strangers in your house moving things around, someone else hands you a set of keys to your new door locks.

There you go, just some 'improvements', its for the better.
edit on 5-10-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So people complain when it updates, and complain when it doens't update and the fault the update was going to fix makes itself known? Wow

Right, so windows 7 is great, stick with it, 10 is crap for now. Even if 7 updates without your permission, just stick with it.
Otherwise go ubuntu or solus, if anyone needs any help installing linux let me know

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

It's not a process, it's a service

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Its this weird sort of world we find ourselves living in. Because something is connected to a wire that runs outside , they can come 'in' your computer and effect changes now.

Imagine coming home and finding strangers in your house moving things around, someone else hands you a set of keys to your new door locks.

There you go, just some 'improvements', its for the better.

This sort of action by outside forces on our computers is exactly why NOBODY with any power jumped to the lowly computer owner's defense when the dreaded "cookies" started appearing in the 90s. It was a done deal from the start and it won't ever change.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
a reply to: acackohfcc

It's not a process, it's a service

Spy service

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Some applications such as Advanced system care will re-enable the windows update service even if you have disabled it

if you want to bypass microsofts update service and control what you get try this....

download.wsusoffline.net...

Works a treat

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

That's assuming they WILL update.
Mine usually just get stuck at 0%....for hours and hours and HOURS!!!!!

This month is the worst so far.....usually by the end of the month, I can update for the current month.
Not so this month.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
BLOCK THE PROCESS AT THE FIREWALL?

What settings should i have at the firewall?

thanks

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
For what its worth I did find a temporary fix which is to Cnt Alt Delete and kill the downloading of the update.

thanks people, cheers

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Open command prompt as admin and type the following without the quotation marks "sfc /scannow" and press enter to let the SFC run.

Should hopefully helpful for your update issues.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I'll try that later today.....
Before even trying that...I try to update one or two at a time....and Windoze simply cancels them itself.....GRRRRRR!

top topics

join