It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LadyVs morning repost count

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
8 this morning, on the first page of "my" recent, meaning there are probably more.....I know, believe me I know....it just drives me bonkers though. I'm beyond help anymore. It's become a major peeve for me

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Lady V, what in the world are you talking about? Whatever it is seems to be lost on me, probably many others.

If something's bothering you, spit it out. How else can we intelligently reply to you?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I thought it was very simple....too many repeat topics, too many repost, people posting things that have been posted before...some many,many, times..........it drives me bonkers

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yeah, I tried to see what you were talking about, but it slipped by me as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Sorry guys...I thought it was plain. I just got up... always check mail then ATS....I might of not been clear enough. Still on that first cup before getting ready for work if I don't call in today.....hip is still out

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
history has a way of repeating itselve, makes one wonder if we are going anywhere or just running in circles, well just don't worry to much about the destination, just take the scenic route

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
As an ATS'er who also enjoys the threads with his morning coffee, I see the many duplicated topics. I believe they are produced by the need for 'low pointers' like myself to accumulate said points for purchases in the ATS store. I hope I am never guilty of this myself.

If controversial statements as new topics are guaranteed to bring lots of replies and their accompanying points, there will always be those who are cunning enough to tweak previous threads in a way to pass mod scrutiny and remain without a 'lock'.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well you could do what i do.. find the exact thing in search post up the link and a moderator should close it after that but i see what you mean..

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Repeat topics have been a bone of contention for along while now. I once joked privately that the only repeat topic that bugged me was the one about repeat topics *oh! the irony*.

But all jokes aside iof we look at the issues it isn't hard to understand the tollerant policy staff have towards topics that have been discussed before.

1/ The passage of time means that topics can be discussed with greater insight as time goes by. Let's take war with Iran as an example in this case. Discussion about the probability of conflict between the US and Iran on ATS has been rampant ever since G.W.B's "Axis of Evil" Speech.But as time goes by each debate is better informed. To suggest that a policy should be adopted whereby this topic should never have been discussed since it was first raised would have disallow valuable discussion.

2/ Better, or original, insights often come new members. It takes only one new member with knowledge or expertise to blow open a topic.

That doesn't mean I approve of repeat topics in a couple of days.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
John bull 1, I fully understand! War issues, politics can be iffy when concerning repeats....but the ones that really burn my broomsticks are the usually in religion, paramormal, or current events........grrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You have been here a long time. Most folks where have been here
for just a few months don't know the 'history' of the place and just
want to chat about things of interest to them.

Example -
In Paranormal I started a topic about the GHostly Lincoln Funeral
Train. It comes around every April. I have no way of knowing if
it was discussed last year at this time and it's always been of
interest to me, so I started a thread about it. It very well could
have been a previous thread, but there is no way for me to know.

check to see how long the person has been here. If it hasn't
been too long, that will explain why you have repeat threads
that you have seen some months before.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
IMO, If we eliminate duplicate topics, the site will be over in a week. Outside of the tsunami, what has happened in the last 6 months that is truly unique and hasn't been discussed before ? (rhetorical, not asking for lists
)

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
radagast I agree with you..... I also thinkg that sometimes people post in the forum that they read and it may have been in another thread but not the one they read -- I pretty much stick to what I have in MYATS (which is why I want Fragile Earth in there) and I know someone was saying something along this line earlier and when I looked I saw that the titles this person was talking about were all in different areas even though they are the same thing.

jm

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I think there has to be a bit more leniency with the newer members these days. The board is so massive and there are so many threads on so many topics that it becomes very hard to actually start a thread of original topic.

This doesn't mean just start blathering without an attempt to search, but what it does mean from my point of view is that members who have been here a while should not allow duplicate topics to become "their pet peeves" after all every one of us are guilty of initiating threads that have been previously discussed.

I have noticed one thing that might help people become more tolerant. We all know that the Boolean search is a bit of a pain, and the Google search is awesome....BUT I have noticed that the Google search lags. So what you will see is a topic initiated multiple times close together - I think with a bit of pondering we can understand how this happens. Heck, it's happened to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

as posted by radagast
IMO, If we eliminate duplicate topics, the site will be over in a week.

I understand your opinion, but deny its results.
John Bull1 makes an excellent point, as does Val and others.

As such, having been here going on almost 2 years, eliminated duplicate topics have yet to end ATS, and trust me, we have closed and trashed quite a many duplicate topic threads. We have made INDEX's in hopes of curtailing such occurances. We have taken other steps. But, all-in-all, redundancy does and will happen. Tools have been provided to also curtail this: ATS search (which incorporates Google), My Recent page, etc.

Bottom line is that it will happen, and when it does and is seen or caught, it will likewise have or not have action taken on it (closing, trashing, etc).
Its just a simple everyday occurance, and one that we, as a community, have to deal with and get used to.

You can simply call it an ongoing work in progress.

seekerof

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ah, it’s usually newbie’s who duplicate threads, mind I’ve done it my self, but the Moderators of this site do a fine job of disposing of them, what bugs me is one person making the same post in ten different threads, but oh well I say to my self, they have nothing better to do than bitch at newbie’s each to their own. Good thing they’re not a Mod.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
LadyV could you post some examples, or links?

For those of us who have been here a long time it may seem like we go over the same topics and some times that is the case.

However for many of our members this site is all new. So really some topics will be repeat topics, and in some cases if those topics offer something new or another twist... something original we will let it go.

There are many threads locked and linked to existing discussions as well.

It is hard to follow your complaint here without some examples.

Gazz

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Just quietly, LadyV if you have examples it would be better to just u2u them to a mod of the relevant forum or use the suggestions form. Otherwise it might be a little rough on the members in question.

Side note though, very funny point by JB1. I have never before realised how ironic it is that people complaining about reposts or recurring topics always seem to do exactly that when bringing it up.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I didn't post links because I thought it would be hurtful to new member to draw attention directly to them, that are still a bit timid...I will u2u them to you though..

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with repeating topics.

Two threads of the same topic often wind up with very different discussions. I think that's a good thing. And has been said earlier, new members have something new or different to add to an oft discussed topic, that's also a good thing. It's fairly easy to just not open a topic you've seen a lot of times, and the real egregious ones are quite often trashed before most even see them. Although I do think people should take the time to check - but hell, with what about 50 fora between just PTS and ATS sometimes its hard even with a search to make sure you're not repeating something.

You know what drives me crazy? When the first reply to a repeated thread is: "already done before!" (even worse when it's said by someone that's been a member for like two weeks). That's a good way to derail the possibility of an interesting discussion. Let the mod's deal with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join