It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people say that you should find your purpose and or perform???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I was thinking about something. Some people are all about finding and or living on purpose, and or finding their purpose. But I was thinking, what exactly is the point of all that. Like in say 100 year, or more what's that gonna matter?

Like say you did something to make history. Like you discovered flight or invented the light bulb. So you did something amazing. But what if you didn't, or what if you failed trying. Does that mean you're not on purpose?

Like do you think Christopher Columbus was the first to try and find America? I bet there were thousands that went before him. That tried and failed. So because they didn't make it and open up the new world, that means they're not on purpose? That they didn't make history, and that their lives didn't matter at all?

Like my thought is that why are we being influenced to perform and produce results so badly? Like why are we not allowed to just do very little or even nothing at all? What's the difference because in say 100 years none of what you did is gonna matter, or at least not very much.

Like we're fed this narrow band of choices that we're suppose to orchestrate our lives within. one of the main choices is what are we gonna do with our lives to perform? Like performance in terms of jobs, career, purpose is so important. But why can't we just do nothing? Like in the long run what's it going to matter? The only thing it does is give us a sense of temporary meaning. And even if what we do does impact people, again, it only provides temporary meaning for the world and others.

I just think sort of that we're programmed to perform and work. And I just think to a large degree it's a scam. I just think it's sad that no one, or hardly anyone can think outside the box. That we're slaves to comfort, and slaves to our jobs, careers, purpose and performance. Like we no longer can just live free on own terms. We're basically programmed to be mindless robots. Cyborgs.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

Just a FYI, Columbus didn't discover America.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

most inventions weren't actually invented by who we're told they were. virtually none. But they were the ones that made the biggest mark on it. Like for example showing others where it is, or doing it the best, or making it main stream. Etc etc. so therefore they're recognized as "the guy". He probably had found out about it from many other sailers prior. Then just figured he'd be the one to properly document and settle it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I have had the same thoughts often.

I often compare humans to animals. Animals just live their lives and reproduce, without any purpose beyond that. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Humans are destroying the planet and life on it by their drive to always produce 'better things', reach a higher status, and feed their ego. What is wrong with just living and appreciating life as it is?

For the last 10 years, I have had the mindset of taking part in all of it as little as possible and focussing on being a good human being not led by my ego, trying my best to raise my kids to be the same. This means less comfort, less respect from others, less social contacts, but a lot of peace of mind and a clearer conscience. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

soulwaxer

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

most inventions weren't actually invented by who we're told they were. virtually none. But they were the ones that made the biggest mark on it.

Huh? Can you give a specific example of that?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

I hear you. You raise a good point. See all that drive to propell progress is gonna implode eventually. It's killing the planet but it's also gonna eventually kill us, or reduce our numbers on a massive scale. We're racing forward to our own demise all in the pursuit of needing to gratify the ego, keep up with the jones etc etc.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

I think we have a spiritual purpose and we will end up disappointing ourselves if we don't try to find it and accomplish whatever goals we had coming into this lifetime. I believe in karma and reincarnation so I definitely believe we have an idea of what we want to accomplish before we are even born.

If you are talking about jobs and such then I agree. Unless you have a very specific life-path planned I don't see our occupation or job as that important. It is more important that you live your life in an honest fashion (be true to yourself) than to do a particular job.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

you say

Like why are we not allowed to just do very little or even nothing at all?

then you say

He probably had found out about it from many other sailers prior. Then just figured he'd be the one to properly document and settle it.

Here is a purpose for your life - investigate and compose your statements factually. Why not take some pride in how you communicate?
Statements such as the following would be tidied up and the reader might make some sense of where you want to go with the story.

He probably had found out about it from many other sailers prior. Then just figured he'd be the one to properly document and settle it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Because idle hands are the Devil's work? When you have a reason to get up each morning, you are happier and healthier and are less likely to fall into slovenly or selfish ways and more likely to contribute to the greater good. Having a purpose or a calling focuses your attention outwardly in an effort to directly make an an impact on your life, your community or the world. Lack of purpose wastes time, energy and money. And it's somewhat parasitic because it's your immediate family, friends or coworkers that must pick up your slack.

Even if your purpose is simply to raise good human beings in your children or to retire by 55, it's still contributing to the greater collective.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Like why are we not allowed to just do very little or even nothing at all?

Who said you're not allowed to do nothing? If you can settle for just working enough to afford food and shelter, then do it. Why not? I'm pretty sure you'll be bored to tears in less than a month, but you can do that, if you want to.

My old and wise father always said that in 10 years time you'll be 10 years older anyway, so why not do something productive in the meantime?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I would guess that you take to heart being a millennial?

(wild guess, well, maybe not so wild)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

most inventions weren't actually invented by who we're told they were. virtually none. But they were the ones that made the biggest mark on it.

Huh? Can you give a specific example of that?

oh tons. Lightbulb, car, I don't know tons more. It's like facebook. It's the biggest. And one day someone will say Mark invented social networks. America was probably found several times already by europeans. I mean think about it, shortly after they would have invented the "gallon" then I'd say within a year someone would have journeyed over. I'm not saying it's all inaccurate but a lot of it is. Like they say edison invented the lightbult. no duhhh. There ws like 20 before him. But he's was the best for that time period.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raven_Heart

Like what? most things someone tries never works. Then lets say by some miricle you get it to work? Well if you do, guess what, as soon as you do there's someone else who's way of making a living is waiting for that guy to come up with something good and of value, and then come in and steal it. So it's like why even bother.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Just do it because you want to. To achieve personal satisfaction. Who cares if someone comes and steal your idea? Who cares if you fail? The real fun is in the journey. Stop overthinking.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Life was the first creation and life on earth is tasked with creating a place for the entities that built it to be embodied. If you choose to have fun and do the things you love to do your fulfilling that purpose. Any other purpose is petty, unproductive, meaningless, and offensive to those who made life and never lived.

top topics

join