It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you ever consider living deep in the woods???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I would love to be self-sufficient; I like being alone alot. Bugging out has always intrigued me. Unfortunately, my health issues would now prevent that. So, health complications are a serious issues and will become more so as you age. And, you would probably age faster if you were roughing it. Nice to dream about-hard to make happen and sustain in reality.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If I weren't married with children, I'd be out in a cabin somewhere. I won't say totally off the grid, but fairly close. Even though I live in a big city, I am not the most social person. I'd be perfectly fine being by myself.

I am not willing to totally give up modern conveniences though, so I am not trying to live in a tent with an outhouse. I'd like a nice self sufficient cabin on enough acreage where I wouldn't see anyone unless I absolutely wanted to. I'd like to be close enough to a town so I can get some supplies as needed but far enough away that I wouldn't have too much to worry about if SHTF.

I could see living a much simpler out in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Honestly yes I would love it, But not forever.

If I had the money is no object thing going on I would do it... I would live out there as long as I could and wanted to, maybe a month maybe a year or more.

I would like to experience living in New York City also. Not forever.

I think I would get bored with the humdrum life of living in the woods. I speaking living with almost no human contact and 100% self sustaining. Now if I could live off grid, but drive my truck the 5 hour trek into town once a month for a weekend of grocery shopping and bar hopping and cavorting, then go hide again for a month sure... lol.....

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes I would consider it and actually plan on it, for an undetermined period of time. I want to do it for the challenge and for a purification of sorts. Here is a good documentary on a guy who did this, and impressively created all his needs out there. He did bring some wood working tools and had a mail drop from plane every so often.
Tis a great story for this idea, and the old man seemed to love it.
The trailer

The Doc

His family took him out when he was really old, but his story is inspiring and he had no regrets.

I've been watching a History Channel series too called Alone, and plan on trying out, after I get certified (requirement) in wilderness survival from a Portland school.
Alone

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Eh , I enjoy my career which is driven by technology far too much to make a move like that..

Its one thing to go back country camping or hiking in Yellowstone on a 2 week vacation and it's another for that to be your life.

I happy with having that in bursts.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I wonder if you'd actually have to worry about the wildlife out there though. Like would you be a target? I wonder. Because there's: Moose, Bears, Wolves, and Mountain lions. I think to a large degree they won't bother you on any serious level, but it's hard to say, I know timothy treadwell and his girlfriend got eaten by a bear apparently. But he was sleeping in a tent, bad idea in my mind. Better to be in some more fortified shelter that the bear couldn't easily get into. And by the time they did you could have a weapon ready and or shooting at it out the window.

I saw a bear wandering up to my camp. Lucky I saw it first so I had time to run away into the tree before it got too close. Then I waited for about 30 minutes and when I returned it was gone. But it was huge, kinda scary. You'd need some kind of weapon most likely.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

Please enter reality. The first video is at Kolmarden Wildlife Park, where a pack of wolves killed a park worker. The second video is a captive bear, raised by humans. The third video is your only evidence for what you're saying, but is nothing but a funny anomaly.

The man in the second video even says about the bear, "He'd kill you, he'd just have to hit you one time."

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

what about timothy treadwell and his girlfriend?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

What about them? They died a violent death.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ummm... NO

I've watched too many scary movies. If it came down to it and I had to move deep in no mans land I would hope I have a way to kill wild life even though I wouldn't want to but I'd have to in order to survive. Eating plants may do until I got a hold of a little something something that made me trip. That's when the trees would begin talking to me and me to them .... yeah I just don't think its a way of life I would jump to.

I would however appreciate a lifestyle whereas we had small communities and bartered without a state telling us what to do. I'm game with that!

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

So.... hmmm. Let me see if I understand.
People... build you a city. And you want to leave.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Pinocchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinocchio

if you're out in the woods then you have a bit more peace

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Raven_Heart

ya but the point is you're gonna die eventually anyway; better to actually "live" for a few moments actually alive and free, than to be safe in a city living as a slave to the system. Never actually free.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

you could barter with an elk

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have to keep one foot in the wood and one in "civilization". Many reasons, but mainly for my own sanity. As I get older it gets worse.. I NEED time alone and away from "people". I take LOOONG vacations from internet and even telephones. I have husband, kids, etc... and just take off for a week at a time in the woods. Im sort of like 2 people in one person.. one side never really interferes with the other, and the people who love me tolerate my "eccentricities".

You can ive 100% to each side, OP. Civilization and solitude. You just cant give equal time. I think the way we have come to live is pretty unnatural.. drives us insane. Some of us quicker than others!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join