It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you ever consider living deep in the woods???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I've always pondered this question.

Would a person ever decide to leave society and live deep in the woods. Sort of like Grizzle Adams? Essentially living off the land. You would basically be like the people on the show Live Free or Die. Or something like that.

Why?

Mostly to get away from the rat race. To escape society which sort of runs like a prison. And essentially to live free on your own terms. I think it would be interesting.

edit on 5-10-2016 by bigpatato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

You could go live in a caravan, in the woods, with a tent, poo in a bucket that you hid in your bunker.
edit on 5102016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
People would stop giving you things. Why should they make the effort?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

You could go live in a caravan, in the woods, with a tent, poo in a bucket that you hid in your bunker.

Hey! He needs that poop bucket! If he poops on the side of the road, gay people might look at his butt! (Really tried to find this gem of a quote from his previous account, but alas, the thread looks to be trashed.)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

You would probably go hungry unless you lived off the land which would cost money to buy guns or ammo. Chances are you wouldn't make it too long.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I just think at some point you must go live free.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

To some degree you're probably right. but that's not to say it's impossible. Thousands have done it, and with no guns.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Then just do it. This is what? Your 50th thread talking about it?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Hey! He needs that poop bucket! If he poops on the side of the road, gay people might look at his butt! (Really tried to find this gem of a quote from his previous account, but alas, the thread looks to be trashed.)

I can't find it either. Must have been deleted.

Shame lol.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Ive done all of that and even worse during many a military survival course etc...

However... If I dont have a triple layered roll of toilet roll then I am shafted big time... (Even when I was military I always made sure that I had at least one double plastic bagged roll of bog roll...)

No way I am wiping my arse with poison Ivy again (did that when I was a young dork at the age of 14...) NOT a marvellous experience...

I remember back in the 80s we had our ration packs given out to us and in the ration pack we had this sundry pack that consisted of the bare essentials being the following :

In that pack were a couple of 10 x 5 cm shiny paper sheets that were supposed to be loo roll... In the video depicted below Kleenex were shown... We only had the shiny paper sheets early 80s

The secret and standard operating procedure to use it was the following :

1 : Take one sheet and tear off a tiny strip of the corner for later use
2 : Poke finger through the middle of the remaining sheet
3 : Wipe arse with finger poked through hole whilst using said finger to get as much faecal matter as possible from ones bum then pull up the paper away from said finger in a vertical manner until paper is away from said finger
4 : Throw soiled paper away whilst showing a disgusted look on your face
5 : Roll up tiny strip of paper put aside into a small point in order to clean underneath the fingernail of finger that was poked through the larger piece of paper.
6 : Do not pick nose and eat snot (even in the most dire of survival conditions)
7 : Do not eat the ROLO chocolats that have bypassed their expiry date since 1955 (I swear that we had those and they are probably worth a fortune now...)

Warmest

Lags
edit on 5-10-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase added

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato

As much as your posts amuse me, I do agree with you in some ways - would love nothing more than to be self-sufficient, living off the land, on my own terms. Free from the shackles of the life we're expected to live in today's world.

But you have to understand that it's not as "easy" as simply up and wandering into the woods, and I don't believe that you understand that. You post thread after thread after thread about the exact same thing. And people explain it to you time after time, in between the giggles and trolling. You're poopin' in the woods one day, diggin' a bunker the next, and then suddenly you're sailing around the world, perhaps stopping by Europe on the way.

I can see your despair at today's world, really, you're not alone, a lot of people feel that way - but you really need to stop talking about doing things and just do them if that's you truly desire. You can only ask the same people the same question so many times, you're not going to get any new answers.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
that's what I mean though. We're so horribly locked into comfort, that's it's imparative that we have the right stuff with us when we go out into the woods camping or hiking. Like if you need to wipe your bum so bad, just use bark off a tree, or don't even wipe. It's not about how much and when you eat, what you wipe with, where you're gonna shower and how often, where you live, or anything else. All those things are nothing but what all the programming has caused us to be and think like. We just can't "be".

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci

originally posted by: bigpatato

As much as your posts amuse me, I do agree with you in some ways - would love nothing more than to be self-sufficient, living off the land, on my own terms. Free from the shackles of the life we're expected to live in today's world.

But you have to understand that it's not as "easy" as simply up and wandering into the woods, and I don't believe that you understand that. You post thread after thread after thread about the exact same thing. And people explain it to you time after time, in between the giggles and trolling. You're poopin' in the woods one day, diggin' a bunker the next, and then suddenly you're sailing around the world, perhaps stopping by Europe on the way.

I can see your despair at today's world, really, you're not alone, a lot of people feel that way - but you really need to stop talking about doing things and just do them if that's you truly desire. You can only ask the same people the same question so many times, you're not going to get any new answers.

well that's the plan, if I could get an income going. I don't have no money to do any of that. Like I want to live free but I'm somewhat practical to. I realize if your tank runs out of gas on the way to the woods, that would be a problem. Or the sailing thing they said it costs about 1000 per month minimum to do. So I'm not comfortable doing that at this exact moment until I get some cash flow first. And I'm doing this for now, I'm willing to make the sacrifice. But also I sort of think that at some point, I might just take my chances and go for it, money or no money.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Well... If you cannot be followed by a TV crew who can back you up with helicopters and stuff you can always try this :

Otherwise try this if you are posh :

Or this if you have balls and think that you can make it :

Part 1 :

Part 2 :

And those above videos are nothing...

Warmest

Lags

edit on 5-10-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Vid fixed

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

It is a romantic notion, but impractical.

Other than the first Europeans to come to the New World even old timers had the general store or some such thing they visited from time to time. I think it makes sense to minimize your reliance on the grid. Certainly, it would be something I would consider more if I were single and had not children.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato If you can handle the food and loneliness issue it's a very interesting lifestyle. It's always something happening in the woods. That's what I feel from my long hunting trips, never tried living for months or so...

edit on 5-10-2016 by Argentbenign because: grammar

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I do live deep in the woods , but they cut down the trees around me

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think the idea of doing so is very appealing, until you find yourself struggling just to get enough food, and then one day, as the sun is setting and you are returning to your shelter, you slip and fall off a rock, breaking your leg in 3 different places. Now you are unable to move, the night is coming fast and you are 45km deep in the woods. Alone. With just your 6 remaining rotting teeth to make you company. Now you live free AND die. No, thanks. As much as I don't like society the way it is, I'll stick with the (relative) safety it provides me.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I have considered that on many occasions.

Had I no responsibilities, then I would already be doing so.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I think that I could make it work for me, but I have a family, and I don't think that it would be the most responsible thing for me to run off to the woods with a (almost) 3-year-old and a 13-year-old (although he'd thrive out there)--but don't think that my wife and I haven't discussed it before.

I would prefer to live somewhere in the between--far enough out so that no one bothers me without due cause, but close enough to where I could have access to modern conveniences if I needed/wanted them.

Everything in moderation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join