It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did it never rain on earth before Noah's flood?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Or it was a story made up by humans based on previous large floods and events. Humans are good story tellers and have unlimited imaginations.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hi Cherish,

I hope you're still reading the replies on this.

I agree 100% with you.
I also believe it never rained before Noah's time.
The bible then says it loud and clear. People tend to overcomplicate stuff.

But not only did they laugh for Noah, but the sons and daughters of man was sinful, and had their own religions and stuff.

Never ever on earth was a prophet ever accepted by the "CHURCH"/
Denominational world.
But look closely even in Jesus' time, the learned people where exactly the people who rejected him.

I believe each "day"/"Church Age" has a messenger(prophet) who has a message for that specific day. Look at Noah, Noah's message would'nt work today. Moses' message wouldnt work today for the people to come out and go to the promise land.

But we have our own messenger - Malachi 4: 5-6.

Have a great day whoever wil be reading this.

God Bless you richly.
Jesus is KING!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
There is too much speculation in the post on rain and the water canopy. Fact: The Bible does not say specifically one way or another regarding rain. What it says is that it did not rain on the earth (land) before Adam. That could mean specifically the land that would be Eden rather than the whole earth. The Hebrew word can be translated either way. But nothing is said about after Adam's creation.

Fact: The water canopy is purspeculation. There is neither evidence for it in science nor in Scripture. It may seem to answer some of the puzzles regarding the source of the water for the flood or the longevity of man, but the operative word is "Seem." There is no biblical evidence for it.

It is better to stay with what the Bible says, carfully observing what it says, than to fanticize.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If it never rained before the flood, there would be no life on earth to save. 'Nuf said.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

No, it misted;

Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and [there was] not a man to till the ground.

Gen 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Ancient text versus science.... I vote science! The Torah also states that Noah was 595 years old! Either genetically not possible, or proof of evolution, and we are apparently de-evolving, if we live much shorter lives now!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Are all of you stupid? Rain doesnt just appear, it comes from clouds, water vapour, and water vapour evaportaed from water on the surface of the earth. Water doesnt ever leave or enter the planet, there is always the same amount of water on the earth. Therefore all the water cannot possibly be from rain, it has to be from all the ice glaciers melting.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

How about you take a time machine back to that period and see if our biology is the same as is it is today.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

in genesis 2 it says that a mist came up and watered the earth, so not raining before the flood may not be as far out as it seems

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Cherish

For me it is all just a matter of faith. I believe the Bible. As for why man lived longer back then I believe that human DNA was purer in those days until the fallen angels corrupted it by having offspring with the women on Earth. It is also said that man did not eat meat back then either until after the flood when there was no plants and vegetation. I believe that that shortened our lifespan also. Of course this is just MHO.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
I love the story of Gilgamesh...I think that he and Noah are the same person.

Hello Cherish

I think that we have two distinctly differing people being referenced and that Noah and Gilgamesh are not the same person.

www.ancienttexts.org...

Offspring of Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh is strong to perfection,
son of the august cow, Rimat-Ninsun;... Gilgamesh is awesome to perfection.
It was he who opened the mountain passes,
who dug wells on the flank of the mountain.
It was he who crossed the ocean, the vast seas, to the rising sun,
who explored the world regions, seeking life.
It was he who reached by his own sheer strength Utanapishtim, the Faraway,
who restored the sanctuaries (or: cities) that the Flood had destroyed!
... for teeming mankind.
Who can compare with him in kingliness?
Who can say like Gilgamesh: "I am King!"?
Whose name, from the day of his birth, was called "Gilgamesh"?
Two-thirds of him is god, one-third of him is human.
The Great Goddess [Aruru] designed(?) the model for his body,
she prepared his form ...
... beautiful, handsomest of men,
... perfect

Now we have a discription of who Gilgamesh is. 2/3's of him is God, would tend to be the biggest concern.

Why?

Because Noah was Perfect in his Generations, meaning he was Pure in Blood from Adam, and he and his family had not become polluted with the seed of the Fallen. It also means a Pure Pedigree.

www.jesus-is-lord.com...

Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man
and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

I believe the discription of Gilgamesh is a true representation of who Gilgamesh was. A decendant of the Fallen.

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men
which were of old, men of renown.

And also after that, implies that Some of the Mighty Men, which were of old, men of renoun, still would inhabit the earth. And this is exactly what Gilgamesh is. A man of renoun.

Just something to consider.

I just started to review this topic, and have lots to input, but will save that for later, incase someone else has already made those points.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The reality: In order to conform to Babylonian traditions, biblical redactors moved the flood story from the first day of Creation to the tenth generation of humanity.

Sorry, but try this reality.

The Story of Re-Creation, expressed in Genesis, had no Babylonians around.

enesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the
face of the waters.
1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided
the light from the darkness.
1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called
Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the
waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which
were under the firmament from the waters which were above
the firmament: and it was so.
1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the
morning were the second day.
1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered
together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it
was so.
1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering
together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it
was good.

This takes place during the Second Day of Recreation. Man, of anykind, was not Re-Created until the Sixth Day.

(* A Day, is just a Span of Time and I am not implying 24 Hours Day)

This would be just impossible to confuse the two. (Genesis 1 and Genesis 6).

So, forget this notion that "Bible Facts" need to match Pagan beliefs.

The Story given to Moses, ( "The Books of Moses" ) reaches and covers 1000's of years of history, before anything Sumerian.

I agree, the Sumerian Text have a "Scripted" date which preceeds those from the Books of Moses, but to confuse these as being "Original" and the Biblical Account as a petty copy is an error.

We know where Babel comes from. Confusion.
We know who they worshiped. Ishtar and others.
We know their gods. They are the fallen.

Now, who is going to get the story right? Moses, or pagan god worshipping confused cultists?

And Second.

Above we see events occuring in Genesis 1. Things being made.

What is occuring in Genesis 6? Things are being destroyed.

7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second
month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all
the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of
heaven were opened.

Now, the Heavens noted here, is the Firmament, as noted above in Genesis 1 : 8

Again, distinctly differing periods of time.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This thread got me thinking about the logistics of the Noah story, and I now have another question......

Why did everybody else who owned a boat during the flood not manage to save themselves?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Well, if you believe the expanding earth theory, that pangea was globally encompassing and that there were no seas, until the earth was broken up, there would have only rivers , but also anyone who had a measly canoe or small boat would have been overturned in the great flood.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Homo Sapiens (modern man) appeared on the earth only 200 000 years ago, when geologically, the the earth was practically the same as it is now.

If Noah was able to build an ark, given only the specifications, I think we can take it for granted that the knowledge of ark building was already known, which implies the existence of other arks...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I believe there were seas before the flood but on a smaller scale. I also believe an expanding earth allowed some of the land to be above water. If man lived on the earth for more than 200,000 years there would have been no need to build a ship almost completely enclosed. The open face type with ores or sails would have been the favored choice. Those types of boats would have to be able to survive a great tsunami blast to compete with the ark's design. The biblical passage says, "The waters of the great deep were opened up before the rains fell". The ark was a large rectangular box with a narrow window opening around its top sides. The ark needed to ventilate the air and it also needed to keep the 40 days of rain out. The ark was built to handle some extremes the others couldn't take.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
reply to post by Saurus

I believe there were seas before the flood but on a smaller scale. I also believe an expanding earth allowed some of the land to be above water. If man lived on the earth for more than 200,000 years there would have been no need to build a ship almost completely enclosed. The open face type with ores or sails would have been the favored choice. Those types of boats would have to be able to survive a great tsunami blast to compete with the ark's design. The biblical passage says, "The waters of the great deep were opened up before the rains fell". The ark was a large rectangular box with a narrow window opening around its top sides. The ark needed to ventilate the air and it also needed to keep the 40 days of rain out. The ark was built to handle some extremes the others couldn't take.

I live in Missouri. I can see layers of limestone hundreds of feet deep around this area. Limestone is formed when tiny sea creatures died and their skeletons accumulated on the ocean floor and were compressed into stone. Tiny sea creatures. Hundreds of feet deep. Missouri. Sea creatures in Missouri.

So, how did that occur in 6,000 years?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

I live in Missouri. I can see layers of limestone hundreds of feet deep around this area. Limestone is formed when tiny sea creatures died and their skeletons accumulated on the ocean floor and were compressed into stone. Tiny sea creatures. Hundreds of feet deep. Missouri. Sea creatures in Missouri.

So, how did that occur in 6,000 years?

The biblical account said an ocean covered the entire planet at one time. The land appeared out of the ocean during the third creative day. These days are not literal 24 hour periods. They were epochs, possibly spanning millions of years. However, there is a dilema about these one-celled organisms that make up Limestone. Were they around before the fifth creative day when the sea and air animals were created? Maybe the single celled organisms had their own creative period but were not mentioned because they didn't have microscopes back then.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspaceThe biblical account said an ocean covered the entire planet at one time. The land appeared out of the ocean during the third creative day. These days are not literal 24 hour periods. They were epochs, possibly spanning millions of years. However, there is a dilema about these one-celled organisms that make up Limestone. Were they around before the fifth creative day when the sea and air animals were created? Maybe the single celled organisms had their own creative period but were not mentioned because they didn't have microscopes back then.

Why do you say the "days" were really "epochs"? The Bible says "days", not "epochs". Isn't it the literal word of God?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join