It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: Military suicides happen to servicemembers who 'can't handle it'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
a reply to: StallionDuck Good reply,ex-Air Force ,and I knew a couple of guys who attempted suicide just from the stress of basic and of losing a girl friend .Some people just aren`t able to deal with stuff and that's just the way it is.A neighbor who was in WW2 had problems from it and when he had a family problem it was too much.So Trump could have put it better,but sadly people have limits to what they can take.

Funny story...

When I went to boot (Ft Sill), we started in reception which we thought was out barracks. Boy were we wrong. That was all fun and cool until our REAL Drill's came to pick us up and shoved us in cattle trucks. Next stop barracks? Nope! We were shoveled in a small little building where we threw a drape makeshift uniform over our shoulder and a # cap and took pictures. Till this day, when I visit my mom, I look on the wall and see my picture and still know exactly what I was thinking... "What the hell am I doing here"!

That day, leaving the picture building and heading to our barracks, I remember looking over at all the quiet people around me and I said to one of the guys next to me.. "I'm thinking I could have just done something different. Hell of a motivation huh... What are you thinking"? and he says very seriously... "suicide".

True story. Our DS's were ferocious when they came to greet us that day... and they were ferocious till the very end. It was hell. People did stupid things to get out. One guy claimed he was gay. It really does something to you when you're not used to that and you throw yourself in the lions den.

Man... I don't miss those days but in a way I kinda do. The motivation was endless!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
whats the percentage of solders in X years that kill themself?

If there is a change in the number, besides the PC culture of, 'if it offends someone, it's wrong'

How individuals and society handles things change with time.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Lot of reasons for people to commit suicide it was covered pretty well already so ill add one more story to the list..

USAF, working n the B-1 we were on 7 day a week 12-16 hour a day operations at home station.. finally a kid decided to eat a bullet. Turns out he was newly married, and his wife nagged him non-stop about not doing this or that around the house... never let him go hang out on the rare day off so he felt eating a bullet was a better path.

He could not handle the stress of the job, and we were never within 2 thousand miles or so of combat.

I know of guys that tried to commit suicide in basic... some people can not deal with the shock of military life.. and that doesnt even touch on the combat MOS's in the military.

So trump was right...but he once again did not present his thought in the simplest form for people to follow.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wow dbl...
edit on 3-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WilburnRoach

It sounds like you could not handle it. Is it hitting close to home? Trump started nothing. Remember it was him who skipped a debate and raised money for vets? Not the otherside. They were to busy with 25k a plate fundraisers. Khan started it when he wheeled out his dead sons memory like since he was a Muslim it was different from all of those others who lost someone. That man is a disgrace and parents like that who politicize a death that is not attributed to someone for political gain. The Benghazi families should be rightfully pissed but Khan should be pissed at those who killed his son...Islam with an IED.

Trumps comments are totally out of context and you know it. It just sounds better to make something out of it.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

But of course the way he said it makes seems to imply they just were not strong enough to handle it.

I actually read the story a little while ago.

This particular story can be spun either way - - - and I'd say both sides are right in their interpretation.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't think either of them are good for Vets. You get shot down in an aircraft...are too injured to fight and get captured. and Trump thinks you're a coward? I know friends and friends of friends in the military that have committed Suicide. You get blown up, kill people, shot...all the horrors of war and you don't get the treatment you need at the VA, but they're all weak minded losers? Trump is a schmuck. He must not know any veterans. The Clintons have a history of making bad cuts for vets benefits and equipment for active duty.

If you're going in, in now or retired you're screwed by these two jerks.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

I haven't read the whole thread but I'll make my comments anyway.

I believe that there is no serviceman or woman who serves in a combat zone that doesn't returns without some level of PTSD. I have three combat tours and my youngest son has one so I have an unusual perspective on PTSD of returning GI's.

Many of the returning vets do not harm themselves over their service but how they are just discarded by the organization that they have spent years working for. Many were highly responsible. Now, they are without the tight social support network and meaningful employment. They are made to feel without worth by the civilian community that they are thrust into.

My first exposure was nearly 50 years ago. I was an US Army captain when I separated the first time. I was a heavy weapons platoon leader during my first trip to VietNam and executive officer to an aviation company on my second. Both were extremely responsible positions.

On my release from active duty I was not welcome at home or in the workplace. With all of my experience, I could not find a job even close to the level of responsibility as I had on active duty. I finally got a job sweeping floors at a GM plant.

Feeling lost I entertained the idea of suicide and I've seen the same behavior in my son. Luckily, we overcame the problem. It was not because we were weak but adjusting to the petty civilian world.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

American soldiers and veterans who commit suicide do so because they can't handle the post-traumatic stress of war

So what, you're saying veterans DON'T commit suicide as a result of PTSD?
Once again we have Trump putting a common-sense fact out there that anyone with half a brain will recognize, and the opposition will do anything in their power to twist it and use it to make Trump look like the devil.
Many veterans have PTSD. Some veterans commit suicide as a result of said PTSD. Veteran suicides are out of control. It's happening, and if you say Trump is wrong and it's not, you're a moron.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What Trump actually said:

“"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat and they see maybe what the people in this room have seen many times over, and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” he said.

“And they see horror stories, they see events that you’d see in a movie and nobody would believe it. We need mental health help, and medical. It’s one of the things that’s least addressed, and it’s one of the things I hear the most about when I go around and talk to veterans.”

Seems like the OP seized on a non-controversy.
edit on 3 10 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

IDK. The guy's phrasing on anything is...unusual. In this case though, I didn't take it like he thought those who kill themselves are weak. His word choice leaves the listener more confused than anything. Maybe he is getting better at politics.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I don't know if you think that he's insulting those who can't handle the stresses of war, but he wasn't--he was demonstrating that some people can (my wife and brother-in-law are some) and others are negatively affected with PTSD (my other brother-in-law is one).

If you're trying to paint him out as being insulting, you're missing the point of his comment and the tone of his voice when saying it.

I think, in this instance and if that's the case, you need to stop with the demonizing and actually see things, in each instance, as they are.

We veterans are not pawns, either in political games or the ideological game (which is what you seem to be playing). Stop politicizing this is such an asinine way--he was making a point, and it's a good one: We need better mental-health options for our Service Members who need it.

How can you see that as a negative?

originally posted by: projectvxn
Seems like the OP seized on a non-controversy.

Exactly my point. He's reading between lines that aren't there in an attempt to demonize someone that he doesn't like--pretty pathetic tactic, for sure.
edit on 4-10-2016 by SlapMonkey because: added additional response

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

IDK. The guy's phrasing on anything is...unusual. In this case though, I didn't take it like he thought those who kill themselves are weak. His word choice leaves the listener more confused than anything. Maybe he is getting better at politics.

I agree with you. As I said above - - "It could be taken either way, and both would be right".

But, how he just blurts out stuff, how he phrases it, how he presents it - - - it's not concise in meaning.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Most people don't join the military because they are heroes or "strong" people. We have all kinds of people in the military ranging from strong to weak. Some of those people kill themselves. They obviously couldn't handle the circumstances and post their deployment couldn't cope... so yea they can't handle it. We need to stop acting like our military are more than normal people in a situation... the situation tends to be killing people. Not everyone can handle that. I don't like Trump at all but looking at a lot of the comments here, I shouldn't like many of you either.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Here's what Col. Alan west has to say about what Trump said. He was actually at the speech and heard the entire thing.

Ok, let me explain something to these liberal progressive media chuckleheads, having served in several combat zones myself. Yes, there are those who are able to deal with the rigors and challenges of combat better than others. That has been the case throughout the history of combat. To try and insinuate anything out of Mr. Trump’s comments other than what he said at face value is just evidence that he did well at the event — and the objective to find some bit of dirt had to be met.

What abject liars and deceivers these people are! On my salute hand, trigger finger, I wear the #22Kill.com ring, that signifies the 22 veterans on average who each day are taking their lives. Mr. Trump stated the obvious: that the challenges cast upon these young men and women by a system that lets them down seems too great to overcome.

Source

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Umm yeah? Every suicide is because the person couldn't handle whatever it was that drove them to committing suicide. Duh.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Ok, let me explain something to these liberal progressive media chuckleheads, having served in several combat zones myself. Yes, there are those who are able to deal with the rigors and challenges of combat better than others. That has been the case throughout the history of combat. To try and insinuate anything out of Mr. Trump’s comments other than what he said at face value is just evidence that he did well at the event — and the objective to find some bit of dirt had to be met.

What abject liars and deceivers these people are! On my salute hand, trigger finger, I wear the #22Kill.com ring, that signifies the 22 veterans on average who each day are taking their lives. Mr. Trump stated the obvious: that the challenges cast upon these young men and women by a system that lets them down seems too great to overcome.

Doesn't he sound charming

edit on 4-10-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Suicide happens to thousands of people from ALL walks of life every day.

Don't know why the military continually get's singled out.

I'd imagine if was the market crash of 1929 a certain crowd would be cheering stock brokers leaping to their deaths.

EVIL WALL STREET!

What I don't get is why suicide is only brought up for the military.
edit on 4-10-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow. Only the left could could take innocent supporting words and twist them into an insult. Good job left, I guess...?

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
From the guy who asked the question:

“I think it’s sickening that anyone would twist Mr. Trump’s comments to me in order to pursue a political agenda,” said Robichaux, who was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress. “I took his comments to be thoughtful and understanding of the struggles many veterans have, and I believe he is committed to helping them.”

More reaching nonsense.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join