It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Donald Trump: Military suicides happen to servicemembers who 'can't handle it'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump suggested Monday that American soldiers and veterans who commit suicide do so because they can't handle the post-traumatic stress of war.

"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of folks in this room have seen many times over and you're strong and you can handle it but a lot of people can't handle it. They see horror stories, they see events you couldn't see in a movie, nobody would believe it," Trump said Monday, during a panel interview at the Retired American Warriors PAC, in Herndon, Virginia.

Trump's surrogates said the Republican nominee's comments were taken out of context, and blamed the media for construing his words.

cnn

Half of this article is Trump surrogates downplaying and blaming the media for Trumps comments. Trump was protected by his elite status from serving his country.

"We're talking about a person, in Trump, who believes that POWs aren't real heroes, and that he's made sacrifices akin to Gold Star Families who lost their loved ones in war," Soltz said in a statement. "The constant disrespect Donald Trump shows towards our veterans and servicemembers is sickening, and completely and totally disqualifying."

Here is Trump in his full glory:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The assumption that war is the reason for suicide needs to stop.

His comments are not atypical. This is a regular assumption for people who don't understand the military and have never served.

It's just like the "soldiers are all brainwashed robots" crap. It's a Hollywood version of what we are. To read, most people have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Trump included.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Waiting for Hillary to be blamed for his comments.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: WilburnRoach

The suicides are now averaging more than 1 a day so something is amiss. I'm lucky that I got My PTSD after being a cop and not being in the military... I don't know how I would take being insulted from a braggadocious blowhard? hahaha

More suicides now than those killed-in-action. 60Minutes™ did a piece on this a few years ago and the numbers didn't matter whether the soldier/decedent served 'In Theatre' or worked at the bowling alley at Ft. Dix, it didn't/doesn't matter...

Maybe get politicians' kids fighting 'In The Actual Snip' and not be allowed to get out of service ala Drumpf..

I will type this: George W. Bush did more 'protecting/defending' the US because He never left Texas air space..

Maybe these will end when the Department of Defense™ stops doing the Department of Offense's job..

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The media was construing his words, don't you think? What did Trump say that was so wrong?????? In fact he is spot on. Quite a few veterans can't handle the things they've seen, or been through, believe me, I'm a combat vet myself. I took no offense to what he said because he is referring to PTSD. Nobody can really handle (IT) PTSD fully without some sort of help. Lets not all be naïve about what the media is feeding us, and just listen to the guy for a second with out having preconceived notions about what he really means behind it!! He obviously has compassion and conviction in what he is saying.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach
Waiting for Hillary to be blamed for his comments.

Every last word that man breathed is Hillary's fault!!!! Hillary for Prison!!!!!!
just had to get it out there for ya WillburnRoach!!
I am just kidding by the way....

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Majority of Veteran suicides they NEVER left the states. Never served in combat or overseas. The Veteran population is also more obese than the civilian population according to Veteran Affairs. As for PTSD a lot of fraud. I know many of these clowns who brag about what percentage they are getting in disability. Overall most in the military are great people but there are some real losers out there. I'm retired now, glad I did it but also glad it's over with.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Says the Draft Dodger.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The assumption that war is the reason for suicide needs to stop.

His comments are not atypical. This is a regular assumption for people who don't understand the military and have never served.

It's just like the "soldiers are all brainwashed robots" crap. It's a Hollywood version of what we are. To read, most people have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Trump included.

Hey.
You seem to be in the know.

If not war...what aspect of military service contributes to such a high suicide rate?

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Isn't that the reason for anyone killing themselves?
They can't handle (insert situation here)
Everything he says is scrutinized and gone over with a fine tooth comb, for someone to manufacture outrage about it.
Ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Wait, so you are saying that it is the PTSD-sufferers that CAN handle PTSD that commits suicides?

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

Majority of Veteran suicides they NEVER left the states. Never served in combat or overseas. The Veteran population is also more obese than the civilian population according to Veteran Affairs. As for PTSD a lot of fraud. I know many of these clowns who brag about what percentage they are getting in disability. Overall most in the military are great people but there are some real losers out there. I'm retired now, glad I did it but also glad it's over with.

But what is it, in the grand scheme of things, about the military that prompts PTSD on so many vets? Whether they left the country or not? Seen war or not?
edit on 3-10-2016 by CigaretteByrnes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Soldiers are killing themselves because they can't handle it.
They see nasty stuff and don't know how to deal with the memories.
He wants to make sure they get help. Watch the video.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Wait, so you are saying that it is the PTSD-sufferers that CAN handle PTSD that commits suicides?

Ask Trump

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I literally just left a thread commenting on how you all on the left use misrepresentation of Trumps word as a tactic to discredit him. Much like a 3 hundred year old musket it continues to blow up in your faces.

Good luck with the propaganda/rhetoric...
*Caugh*
I meant highly intellectual well thought out thread...

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Another day another statement that has to be backtracked to get its originally point across.

I will give the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean the ones that do commit suicide were just the wimps and that he was trying to say that some just see things they can't handle.
But of course the way he said it makes seems to imply they just were not strong enough to handle it.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CigaretteByrnes

Probably many reasons but likely claiming PTSD when jobs prospects dried up. At one time, Veteran unemployment was over 30%. Hard to get a job when 2 years later you get called back up again. No employer wants to deal with it.

They also have little to no education so unless they hunker down and go back to school it's a hopeless situation. As for the suicides I have no idea why someone who has never left the US want to kill themselves. I talked to one researcher and they believe now many with PTSD suffer from depression, even before they joined the military. Military had nothing to do with. Mentally they always were weak minded in terms of dealing with stress.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980
When you post the same argument for every statement Trump says, everyday its easy to develop a defense.

I posted a video of him saying this.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
OP, you should go get some pointers from Antediluvian on how to properly troll Trump...

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

OP, you should go get some pointers from Antediluvian on how to properly troll Trump...

Care to defect for Trump, I mean care to comment on the topic?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join