It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Have a Pet Raven- Or Crow?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
After watching a zillion youtube videos of pet ravens/crows, I am intrigued- maybe even enough to consider getting one. I understand they can be real trouble though in tearing your stuff apart, even worse than a dog or cat. But apparently if you provide enough stuff for them to play with, they can be manageable.

Their extreme intelligence is what attracts me. One of the coolest videos I have ever seen about ravens/crows is the Russian(?) guy who takes his on bicycle rides with him- with the bird flying completely free. I mean that is just ultra cool to me! Better than any RC plane, drone or helicopter. A curious crow, flying totally free, and yet keeps up with his owner while at the same time exploring the surroundings. And every time the owner would call, the bird would come back and land somewhere near the bike. Check this out:

I've watched many videos about falconry too, so I am aware that trained falcons/hawks can do a lot too. But there are a lot more considerations to owning one, such as having to be sponsored, get licenses, etc. So it is a lot more involved. From what I gather, all that is required to keep a pet raven is that the species not be indigenous to the US (I am in the US, duh). So anything anyone can add would be interesting and helpful. You might even talk me out of it, because I am not totally sold on the idea in the first place.
edit on Sun Oct 2nd 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I had Peregrine Falcons when I was about 15. The mother had died for some reason, maybe injured, I never knew.. I took care of them till they got bigger and could hunt on their own, but I did enjoy having them come back to me after they fed. Eventually, they went on their way.
There's lady here who has a giant African Grey Parrot who rides on the handlebars of her bike, with his wings extended. I thought his wings were clipped, but she said he can fly whenever he wants, he's just lazy and would rather ride lol.
Beautiful bird and very friendly.

Thought I might add this on having a destructive pet. I have ferrets and while they are not intentionally destructive, they are very curious, fantastic climbers, can and will get places you may not want them. Mine go everywhere. Drawers, cabinets, under the chairs, on top of the chairs, they push out the drawers to make stairs and climb up on the counter tops [ they are extremely intelligent and are great problems solvers ] so if you're having 2nd thoughts, think having a very curious 2 year old around that never grows up.
edit on 2-10-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I had a pet Magpie years ago. They'er members of the crow family.

Memories............ like the corners of my mind.........

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
From what I understand, it may be best to get a baby, and raise it by hand feeding it yourself. Whereby essentially, you become its parent. But their intelligence is becoming legendary, and already is in some parts. For those interested, just check out some of these videos- and these are just a very few:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

You could do a lot worse than a crow for a pet and they are very smart . As for a free flying crow , maybe if you got it very young ,but they arent domesticated after all .

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Yeah, well a crow may well be the way to go, and there's an African one that people recommend a lot. A raven is nearly twice the size of a crow. They are huge! And so are their pecks with a "knife blade" for a beak.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Just wanted to show you another recent thread. I don't have a crow or raven, but I think they are very cool!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I had a couple of crows and their little one living nearby. They used to take the bread I put out. One day I heard a tap on the door and found them on the doorstep wanting more food.

On occasion they'd jump on the roof to get my attention.

They can be a bit of a nuisance, going through rubbish bags. Most recently I found claw marks in a parcel that had been left on my doorstep. I was lucky it was a bit too heavy for them to make off with.

So, if you get one don't be too attached to your stuff

Also, they are predatory themselves and can be prey for larger birds. I saw one of 'mine' make off with a mouse, which didn't please me. One time when I was out walking I saw a buzzard swoop down and catch a crow. That might be something to take into consideration depending on where you live.

But, if you want a noisy, intelligent little nuisance for a pet then you certainly should consider getting one

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I had a raven when I was a kid and like the Russian guy would take it with me on my bike . Easy to feed as they would eat anything .Frogs ,bees or even to occasional road kill . I found it on the road and think it fell out of a nest . It stayed with me until the fall and one day it caught a strong breeze and flew really high and really far and never came back . I also had a baby raccoon that got hit by a car and kept it for a year . They make great pets and are much more playful then a crow or raven would be IMO .

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I have several, out back. I feed them some bread once a week. The are 'crowing' right now, I'm running late. During the week they buzz around me and my dog on walks, crowing from the highest trees as we pass by.

I have crows...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hmm, I figured I could find a raven or crow on craigslist pretty easy but that is not so. Not a single one of either, not local, or in adjacent areas. Nothing. That means they must be pretty rare to find as pets around here... Lol, now I really want one. I like unique things...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I rescued a fledgeling crow from a cat years ago. Hand fed it till it was strong and built a roosting box for it on the side of the house. It used to come sit with us on the patio and beg food, sit on shoulders and raid peoples bags lol. I lost him one morning, went outside to put some food out and he was starfish floating in the pond
I can only assume he was drinking, slipped in and couldnt find a way out.

Corvids are amazing, would love another but not so keen on having everything streaked white >

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I bought a big bag of peanuts I like to feed the blue jays with but the crows have caught on .There are 3 that hid in a big pine and when I toss a few peanuts out for the jays the crows make their move . I usually don't mind them much but some times in the morning , early in the morning they take to crowing . &^$$(^%#@ things .......

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
A friend had a bluejay once. It got injured by a cat and couldn't fly.
It stole cigarettes out of the ashtray and walked around the dining room table with it in its beak.
And it constantly attacked my friends cats. Memory.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kountzero

Oh we had baby robin's fall into our little pond too. Now in early spring we empty it and put rocks in it so if they fall in they can get out.
We keep water in the bird bath for them.

One early spring as I was turning over the garden I noticed a young robin under a nearby bush. I found a worm and threw it over to him. He of course flew up into the bush but then saw the worm moving and went for it. I found another worm, threw it and again the bird flew up into the bush waited a few seconds then went for the worm. Now I was charmed. I found another worm (we have good soil) and tossed it just shy of the bush This time he didn't fly up into the bush but did that sideways look they use to scope out the worm. He ate it then looked up at me. I went back to weeding and I hear cheep cheep from the bush. The bird is under the bush but looking and cheeping at me. LOL. I found him one more worm and then work finished I went inside.
The next day I went out to plant stuff in the prepared soil and about15 minutes after I started I hear cheep cheep again. Yup there's my little friend. I kept giving him worms and bugs that whole spring and summer. He was big and had a big black pouf on his head and a deep rust colored breast. A really good specimen of male robin.
The next year I was out again digging the manure in and getting things ready for planting when I hear cheep cheep from a tree. I look up and it's my big fella come back.. I found him a worm and tossed it onto the lawn. He swooped right down but instead of eating it he flew off into a dogwood tree and I'm assuming his nest. Later that spring I found a group of young robin's scratching the soil under the pepper plants. Somebody showed them the source.
Birds are smart.
edit on 1022016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My sister-in-law has two, along with several pet chickens (I say pets because they live inside with her). The crows are better behaved than the chickens and rather intelligent. She did not get them as babies. She rescued both of them, one had injured wing the other i dont know.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I wouldn't say I have them as pets, but I put seed out for the ravens here on my patio ledge every morning and they sit out there chattering for a while. They know if they're out there at a certain time every day, they'll get goodies so they show up like clockwork.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

We have a rather famous crow named Canuck in my city. He first appeared on the news taking shots at a kid's backpack but then turned into a bit of a celebrity.

Here's Canuck riding the train

Canuck stealing evidence from a crime scene

Canuck causing some mischief

Lots of stuff on Canuck the crow. Would like to meet him someday.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

There are 3 that hid in a big pine and when I toss a few peanuts out for the jays the crows make their move

Hiding in ambush, shows they know your intentions to feed the jays, not them.

I usually don't mind them much but some times in the morning , early in the morning they take to crowing . &^$$(^%#@ things .......

Usually to advertise to their 'crow-nies', hey I found something good to eat, over here, over here.
Jays are the earliest, I spent lots of time outdoors living in campgrounds, they always jay you up. Get up get up and cook something, we're hungry.

Best alarm clocks in the wild.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I believe that any animal that is indigenous to the area are not legal to have as pets without proper permits.

Ferrets were illegal for many years in the U.S., for example.

If one would like a crow/raven as a pet, then it would have to be a non-native species.

It's a bit ironic, I know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join