It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May will Trigger Article 50 by end of March

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
9 months after the Brexit vote Mrs May has today told the Sunday Times , ahead of the Tory party conference , that Article 50 will finally be triggered by the end of March 2017 starting the 2 year battle to retrieve our sovereignty.

Theresa May will formally begin the Brexit process by the end of March 2017, she has told the BBC. The prime minister confirmed the deadline for triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets in place a two-year process of withdrawal. She has also promised a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech, which will overturn the act that took the UK into the forerunner of the EU.

She also confirmed the creation of a "Great Repeal Bill" which will untangle us from unnecessary EU regulation

In an interview with the Sunday Times, the prime minister said the repeal bill would mark "the first stage in the UK becoming a sovereign and independent country once again". "It will return power and authority to the elected institutions of our country," she said. "It means that the authority of EU law in Britain will end." Conservative Party chairman Patrick McLaughlin told BBC Breakfast this proved the party was "very serious" about starting the process of leaving the EU, but added negotiations would not be conducted in the public eye.
"You don't say exactly what you are going to negotiate on, but once negotiations are concluded we will say what we've achieved and how we've achieved it," he said. "To give a running commentary on every last sentence and paragraph would be ridiculous."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Much dragging of heels to come but at least we now know when the starting gun will be fired ..... unless it isn't.

Mr's May sets out her stall.

edit on 2-10-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Errrrr... Isn't it illegal to conduct political negotiations in secret like this?

So, we just cross our fingers and hope we don't get screwed?

Forget Bilderberg. We should be watching this.

Zapping accountibility here is kinda treasonous, IMO.

They don't even have to disclose after the fact.

What's the difference between this and the 'elite cabal' we're so familiar with?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating , the eyes of the 17 million that voted to leave will be on the negotiations along with those of the Tory MPs who also voted for Brexit.

What's the difference between this and the 'elite cabal' we're so familiar with?

We get to vote for or against our cabal dependent on results they achieve , I believe there is still a chance we will have an early election some time next year so May can extend her grip on Parliament , at the moment she only has a small majority which could make her job harder than it could be if she goes to the country.

I'm happy that she's talking about keeping EU rules on important things like workers rights , some EU rules have been good for us so I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
She also confirmed the creation of a "Great Repeal Bill" which will untangle us from unnecessary EU regulation

Well I heard this this morning and I wondered how long it would take for a brexiter to fall for the con. Da da here we are.

THEY ARE REPEALING NOT ONE SINGLE EU LAW loud enough?

They have used the word "repeal" in the title to con people who can't think beyond a headline!

Every single EU law will become a UK law Do you understand? This means NOTHING CHANGES.

Sure, we could change laws that are ours and thus change these if we wish. But we are exceedingly unlikely to do so because they are all related to trade with the EU. If we wish to continue to trade with the EU then we have to enact laws related to goods and services. Guess what China has to abide by these laws as well. That's the stuff you agree in trade agreements.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

THEY ARE REPEALING NOT ONE SINGLE EU LAW loud enough?

In the interview Mr's May says we will take EU law into UK law than choose what we want to keep and what we want to change , that is the purpose of the "Great Repeal Bill".

Sure, we could change laws that are ours and thus change these if we wish. But we are exceedingly unlikely to do so because they are all related to trade with the EU.

Formal negotiations haven't started yet so neither you nor I know what trade deals will be done , in or out we are still an important trade partner for the EU so there will have to be give and take on both sides .... that's negotiation.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
As Theresa May is a Tory, I don't believe a word she says.

She says there will not be a running commentary on Brexit, but she had a secret meeting with Rupert Murdoch earlier in the week, so expect a lot of Brexit plans to be leaked from his media outlets, in order to gain public opinion of the plans. Any plans that are not well received by either business or the public will not see the light of day.

With regards to the E.U Laws remaining in place, that makes absolute sense. Our elected Government will re-visit these laws as and when required and will be able to change them if the majority of M.P's feel they need to be changed.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Errrrr... Isn't it illegal to conduct political negotiations in secret like this?

Not by any law that I can think of.
Can you name any specific statute that says so?

edit on 2-10-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Not to mention there isn't a single person who voted leave who would want to lose the human rights and workers laws we have gained.

As you say, any other silly laws will be looked at eventually, but to keep those two isn't gonna put people off.

I say that confidently, because I believe the UK people to be sensible.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Not to mention there isn't a single person who voted leave who would want to lose the human rights and workers laws we have gained.

It doesn't matter an iota what those persons want. The only thing that matters now is what TM wants.

top topics

join