It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Utah State Lawmaker Defends Polygamy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Is that what husbands are supposed to do? Why didn't you tell me that 10 years ago?
Wow, mine didn't do any of those things. Hmmmm, must re-evaluate.....

This is to Duzey and Surfup -- nope mine doesn't do any of that so that is why I though if each one only had one thing to do we might stand a chance of getting something done.

Now that said I can't complain too much today - DH spent the day snowblowing our driveway and MIL and BIL and nephews business and tomorrow will do friends who can't get to theirs. And we are both retired so don't worry about a steady paycheck -- well it sure could be bigger but it is steady and no worries about strikes now.

jm

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have a suspicion that 5 husbands would not be a good thing. Instead of fixing anything, there would just be a group of them standing around, drinking beer, discussing the best way to fix it. Expecting sandwiches.

I could be wrong though, maybe there would be a competition for 'favours' I could benefit from?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have been married about a quarter of a century and love her to death but for the life of me I cant understand why someone would want two wives. The only time they wouldnt be fighting would be when they were nagging you.

I just dont see it working BUT more power to you.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I am against polygamy as martriage shgould be one man one woman. But I pose a question, those of you who support gay marriage how can you not support this? How can you say that it should be OK for a man to marry a man or woman to marry a woman but not support the right of a woman to have multiple husbands or a man to have multiple wives? What about group marriages? Or interspecies? After all if refusing to allow gay marriage is intolerance and discrimination is not outlawing polygamy as well?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I gave you a reason above. if a man could have two wives, then by all rights, a women would also be able to have two husbands. In a flash of an eye, the genetic anscestry would be wiped away with only the maternal links being tracable. Add to that the fact that men, for the most part are competitive by nature, well, women would soon find themselves with alot more power as they competed for the wife's attention. Not to mention the economic impact of having households with five working husbands, all producing children through one women. The population would decrease.

The only effect I see from gay marriage is that people are taken out of the genetic pool in a world that is really pretty much overpopulated anyways. And, well, a man having more that one wife would be more destructive in that a man now days is lucky if he can support one wife, and her children.
But, if a women having more than one husband were to ever catch on, well, it could lead to the demise of our patriarchal soceity. And, well, that one could provide some benefits in our society today.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I just came across this thread...fascinating discussion!

(I never knew there was so much action up there in the Great White North!!
)

If polygamy was to be made legal, there would need to be a requirement for all participants to be at least 18...maybe even 21...with no provision for "with parents' permission" waivers. I think it would be critical to make absoultely certain that all players were truly willing. And old enough know whether they were willing or not.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
And, I would suggest that our government immediately begin suggesting that women take another husband if the first one either fails to, or choses not to support his family instead of seeking government assistance. If the two cannot, well, she can find another, and then another, and then another......ect.......

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
The ONLY reason monogamy became the acceptable norm was because it takes power away from governmental and religous institutions. Families practicing polygamy historically become a tribe, and a tribe eventually develops alot of power in a given community, both economically and socially. Think about it, why else would they care how many wives you had? Because of how many kids you would have, and how many kids they would have and subsequently, how much clout you would have in the political strata. It has nothing to do with morality, it has to do with the balance of power in the system. You have been conditioned to believe that monogamy is the 'proper' marital situation. I truly wonder sometimes how much of our moral beliefs are garnered from this fear of people power?

Gosh that was well said. I honestly wish I'd posted it first. You are absolutely right. Absolutely!!!

May all your spouses be blessed

-Sincerely
-Shai

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Dear group,

i'm always surprised to find so many commnets and so few links to source when consiidering a topic or a posting.
It would seem that in order to have an opinion [that qulaifies as an opinion] it should be founded in fact and not assumption.
[I do hope you agree on the fundamental difference between an assumtion and an opinion..yes? to assume is tomake an a** of u and me......]

Here, for anyone wnating to know [the women's view] of polygamy in the positive is a link to refresh you;
www.polygamy.com...

And here is another one to read at you leisure..also by a woman
www.context.org...

I hope this forever disproves that notion, frequently expressed here, that that the practice demeans women, enslaves women or promotes the abuse of children.

without meaning to offend the well-intended..sometimes reading the posts here is akin to listening to the slaves chatter ..

-sincerely
-shai

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Shai,

Thanks for the links. However, here are some for you:

Help the Child Brides
Debbie Palmer
Leader of FLDS named in abuse suit

Just because I see problem with this practice, doesn't make me uninformed, only contrary to your belief. We could sit around and play dueling links all day, and neither of us would be 100% right.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I still believe it's reasonable to conclude that polygamy should be a personal choice, and that - if it were ever made legal - safeguards should be implemented to ensure that everyone involved knew exactly what they were getting into, that they were old enough to understand the implications, and that they were not under undue pressure.

That's simple logic; I don't need a bunch of links to support some basic critical thinking.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
I still believe it's reasonable to conclude that polygamy should be a personal choice, and that - if it were ever made legal - safeguards should be implemented to ensure that everyone involved knew exactly what they were getting into, that they were old enough to understand the implications, and that they were not under undue pressure.

Hello, voice of reason. I'm not arguing that this is good or bad, just that there needs to be some legal protection for the women involved; and by extension the men, because as dawnstar pointed out, you have to treat both sided equally. The fact is, it's happening, we'd better deal with it. Laws need to be put in place.

And not just regarding child abuse, although that's a big one. There is welfare abuse, kidnappings and children who are not getting a basic education in Bountiful. What happens if the husband dies, and the first wife is the only one with legal protection? What happens to the other 10 or so women and their children? Oh that's right, they just get shuffled off to the next man who could use an extra wife.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye

Hello, voice of reason. I'm not arguing that this is good or bad, just that there needs to be some legal protection for the women involved; and by extension the men, because as dawnstar pointed out, you have to treat both sided equally. The fact is, it's happening, we'd better deal with it. Laws need to be put in place.

And not just regarding child abuse, although that's a big one. There is welfare abuse, kidnappings and children who are not getting a basic education in Bountiful. What happens if the husband dies, and the first wife is the only one with legal protection? What happens to the other 10 or so women and their children? Oh that's right, they just get shuffled off to the next man who could use an extra wife.

About child abuse and its use as a reason to suspect polygamists of the worst barbarities..
Although it is a largely Mormon population practicing this lifestyle in america it is certainly not the only example of polygamous or polyamorous communiites to choose from..contemporary or historical.
is anyone suggestiong that monogamous parents do not abuse their children?
Do you know that there are reprtedly more cases of incest coming from hard-core, bible-beating 'religious' families and communites than non-religious? So perhaps we should outlaw Mormonism, Mennonites and Pentecostal churches as a measure to protect children ..and leave the polygamists be...
Polygamy was the practice of Abraham and Jacob ..even King Solomon, who according to the Bible, had a thousand wives...are we suggesting they were child abusers?
BTW....according to recent scholarship, Mary. mother of jesus was no older than 13 when married to Joseph, who was well over 30...so was Joseph a child abuser?

For those who have questions or opinions about the pros and cons of children being raised by a community of parents, the best thig to do is go study kibbutz children.

-Sincerely
-Shai

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Technically, polygamists can't be tried and found guilty of polygamy- just cohabitation laws. Legally, only 1 person can be married to another. Should someone who is already married marry another, that 2nd marriage is null and void, so no one can legally have more than 1 wife. While a polygamist may be 'married' to several, or many, through the church, those marriages are not legal marriages, nor are they illegal marriages.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Don't even get me started on the Mormons...

This goes to prove leopards can't change their spots. After promising to end polygamy as a condition for becoming a State of the United States in the late 1800s, Utah continues to harbor polygamists and even in neighboring states mormon groups continue to practice polygamy and keep women in practically slave-like conditions.

The reason polygamy ends so badly these days is BECAUSE it is illegal and underground. Unfortunately the current group of polygamists are mostly backwoods power mongering rapists....

Were it above ground and allowed to go both ways (multiple men to one woman) There would be a whole lot of change....

problem is that it allows too much power in one family. Yep too much power for you... let's make it illegal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join