It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some people deny everything that seems "far fetched?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hi. I am curious as to how some people deny every conspiracy theory. They are theories. Isn't a lot of science research, especially advanced physics theoretical? Those scientists are not called negative words by average people. Are not conspiracy theorists just people who research possibilities surrounding events, agendas, etc? Most conspiracy theories are possible but average people get mad and say they are absolutely not possible. Where is the proof that it is not possible I ask? In return I get, "where is your proof that it is true?" I say, "I have none, I presented a THEORY, I never said it was fact. You, however, spoke as if you know for fact that it is impossible. I just think it MAY be possible. With a neutral attitude, please show/tell me how it is impossible or false. Refute the theory so I can disregard it myself! I'd love to have fact instead of theory!"

Something similar I will tell as well, kind of an example of the mentality of some people... I have been accused of things I did not do several times in life but was implicated anyways(mostly in middle and high school) only to have the school authorities ask me "why would they set you up? Nobody would do that for no good reason!" That question made me angry. I said, "why did Jeffrey Dahmer kill and eat people?" They said, "what does that have to do with this?" I didn't say anything after that and just accepted the penalties.

Some people just don't get simple #.
edit on 1/10/2016 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

In psychological terms, it is called "cognitive dissidence" which in simple terms means that their minds are already made up and any conflicting information would cause irreparable damage to their brains.

Many folks on ATS have that affliction and they use the ATS motto of "Deny Ignorance" are a rallying flag pole to support their wanting to stay ignorant. I have witnessed this personally on this site many times. The last time was about 7 seconds ago.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I believe that anyone can claim anything. If it is an interesting idea, I will think about it. However if it doesn't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny [like flat earth for example] then I have to dismiss it - big time. Sad thing is that far too many people believe the most ridiculous stuff without ever weighing it up. Sadly I have to say that it is mostly religious types that fall for the most inane theories*. Which should show us something about their mindset.

Everything else which cannot be proven either way should always stay open for discussion as we may just lack the science to explain but there are enough eye witness stories to make them significant [UFOs, Ghosts, telepathy etc]

* BY inane I mean theories that can be literally disproved by taking their hands, giving them some tools, teaching them the basics and let them see for themselves.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Double post for some straaange reason [didn't even click twice...]
edit on 1-10-2016 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Most people accept the principle of Occam's razor, whether they know it, or not.

Many conspiracy theories detailed on this site and elsewhere are implausible at best, and fantasy at worst. Many people who support and promote conspiracies are guilty of being selective in their evidence, or making assumptions where no evidence is present.

In conspiracy-land there are those who think that they are enlightened and somehow above the "sheeple", because they see "it". Unfortunately "it" is often a fraud, or a con, made up by Charlatans and fakes, but what if what people see aligns with what they want to believe, then it'll be cited as fact. I find some conspiracy believers think they have an open mind, but are in fact very blinkered.

Just because someone calls themselves a doctor, or a professor, does not mean that they are a qualified or trustworthy source of fact. Just because someone posted a YouTube video, does not mean it's true. I often think that half the people who create conspiracies and attract a following are having a laugh. They prove that people really will believe anything.

"Oh look, is that a Nazi bus shelter on Mars"?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I am curious as to how some people deny every conspiracy theory. They are theories.

It may be to keep family and spousal issues to a minimum, because certain theories just don't need to be discussed in order to have a happy and fruitful relationship with either.

or

If the way a person generates income is based upon a specific image, any acknowledgment or energy invested in certain topics may be a detriment to their livelihood. News anchor types that have to live PC, 24/7.

Other than that, it's quite hard to deny something that hasn't yet been established as true. Anyone who does is doing a great disservice to themselves.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Most people accept the principle of Occam's razor, whether they know it, or not.

Many conspiracy theories detailed on this site and elsewhere are implausible at best, and fantasy at worst. Many people who support and promote conspiracies are guilty of being selective in their evidence, or making assumptions where no evidence is present.

In conspiracy-land there are those who think that they are enlightened and somehow above the "sheeple", because they see "it". Unfortunately "it" is often a fraud, or a con, made up by Charlatans and fakes, but what if what people see aligns with what they want to believe, then it'll be cited as fact. I find some conspiracy believers think they have an open mind, but are in fact very blinkered.

Just because someone calls themselves a doctor, or a professor, does not mean that they are a qualified or trustworthy source of fact. Just because someone posted a YouTube video, does not mean it's true. I often think that half the people who create conspiracies and attract a following are having a laugh. They prove that people really will believe anything.

"Oh look, is that a Nazi bus shelter on Mars"?
I understand. Yes, a lot of "theories" absolutely are implausible. I am in agreement with you totally. It is the theories that are plausible... things that can happen and have happened. It is like people cannot go to the Library of Congress themselves and see documents of past Presidents warning us of Illuminati and also the Military Industrial Complex?

I've never been to the Library of Congress. I cannot vouch for it... I dunno. All I know is that there is a great enemy who wills his way. I read it in the news and I point it out to others but they do not comprehend what I am trying to tell them. There really are no words for it but I try in vain. I have one friend who sees/hears it. I am white, he is black. We are best friends till death.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You're basically asking why some people deny or reject everything that's different from their comfort zone. It might make more sense if we look at it like that.

edit on 1-10-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

"Oh look, is that a Nazi bus shelter on Mars"?"

Why yes, yes that is a Nazi bus shelter, isn't it! Hitler is NOT dead! He is on Mars and has found immortality! SIEG HEIL, BITCHES!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Should read both sides of a story,analyze the data,then put common sense in the equation,more likely then not it works,not to say I've seen things that do defy logic,if not and you rely on evening news your head is headed where it isn't supposed to be

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I think that for most people, it's not about denying things that are far fetched or conspiracy theories, it's about a complete change of thought process that would involve more than observation and knee-jerk response.

Admitting the possibility of one single theory would mean opening a can of worms and looking at an entire life or lives from a new perspective. This would usually cause a mental meltdown

Most people are weak when it comes to thinking outside the box and the idea of doing this scares the crap out of them, so the knee-jerk reactions suit them fine before they bury their heads back in the sand.

I try not to ridicule others when discussing things like conspiracies, but sometimes playing with the ignorant is just so much fun.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Narrow minded, mainstream media readers/watchers, non-believers, doubters and not emotionally or intellectually open to possible new revelations or scientific studies proving new theories, achievements and discoveries.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Why do some people deny everything that seems "far fetched?"

You need to bear in mind that many on this forum have an axe to grind. I find this website polluted with religion so for these people everything must conform to the bible so therefore anything outside of that boundary is unacceptable.

similarly, there seems to be quite a contingent of science minded people here so the same for them.

Then there are those who see the world just like the powers that be want them to so the story is the same for them

In my 60+ years I have learned that life is a very complicated business and that there is more to life than what meets the eye. The same goes for the world we live in.

Most people just discard things as that dont fit their highly narrow and designed world.

While believing everything one is told is also not wise, keeping an open mind on many things is, in my opinion, about the best chance for learning and development.

Having said that, its a natural part of life that we reach an age in our lives, and it happens to us all, where we must and do begin to determine what we will hold to be true and what we will hold to be untrue. Believing things on faith alone is part of that process. We all know faith is beleief without evidence, but that's neither here nor there.

edit on 2-10-2016 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

people are brainwashed for the most part. Show me one who isn't or who snapped out of it and I'll show you a miricle

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

It's called skepticism and obeying the scientific method. You take a position of disbelief until irrefutable evidence is presented that shows otherwise. Believing first then finding evidence to support your position just creates or reinforces bias.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
a reply to: paraphi

"Oh look, is that a Nazi bus shelter on Mars"?"

Why yes, yes that is a Nazi bus shelter, isn't it! Hitler is NOT dead! He is on Mars and has found immortality! SIEG HEIL, BITCHES!!!!

lol

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's called skepticism and obeying the scientific method. You take a position of disbelief until irrefutable evidence is presented that shows otherwise. Believing first then finding evidence to support your position just creates or reinforces bias.
I snapped out of it on March the 20th, 2003.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato

people are brainwashed for the most part. Show me one who isn't or who snapped out of it and I'll show you a miricle

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Huh?

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Far fetched" conspiracy theories should be questioned and doubted. They require strong evidence and, to be honest, most of them simply rely on the evidence being completed based in the thought that it just has to be anything other than what was reported by the media.

How do most of these conspiracies start? Something happens, let's just say a mass shooting, and someone just posts that the OS doesn't make sense, within minutes of the first reports coming out. After that, people jump on board, having no actual evidence to go on, and agree. Then more threads are started, a few theories are thrown out, confirmation bias ensues, and then the OS is officially false.

Then, the same people who started said theory with no evidence whatsoever start demanding that law enforcement releases what they know...to the media which was already declared unreliable and pushing a false narrative.

The vast majority of what is out there as a conspiracy theory is simply false, either by confirmation bias or outright hoax.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join