It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The College Loan Bubble

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I agree with what you are saying too. And I want to add that society tells us we need a good job (which you must attend college to get) to afford a "good" life. Nobody needs a 2,500 square foot home-it's nice, yes, but probably mostly just wasted space from what I have seen personally. people want the nice house, the new cars, vacations, designer clothes, etc. I think that is one of the motivating factors for high schoolers-they think college will afford them that "stuff".

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: lakenheath24

The jr. high schoolers are told to get good grades in high school to get into a good college...to get a good job. That pattern is not stopping. Neither is the shrinking job market...

One recent college grad said "I owe $40,000 in student loans and its been a year and a half and I cant find work in my field! Why didnt they TELL us before we spent all this $$ for no jobs! What do I do?"

When you gain that level of awareness that the college business is a business and not necessarily a way for you to progress, it can be potentially damaging psychologically as you realize the college business was to collect as many loans from the unaware.
And that the School agenda is to keep wallstreet advancing not main street.

As 1 who went through the whole process I only lucked up early in my career field because I researched which major in my Technical School was the most financially beneficial at that time.

So for example back then the only disciplines available in my school were graphic design, business administration and Computer Aided Drafting/Design. I kind of knew that G.D and B.A were going to have limited future outcomes financially. And seen many enthused high school graduates like myself attempting to take those courses. Thinking just like me that as long as you graduated from high school and then went to college or technical school your path to the American Dream was possible.
But as many of us matured the truths of this reality began to set in that it is not going to be that simple... And as mentioned many realized the debt we accrued and the limited job positions in our fields over time and basically became victims of a bigger more financial based elite game of distributing loans to the unaware...
My field of CADD seems to of had a good run. Luck. But some of the others in my peer groups didn't do so well with the choices they made with college and fell further in debt forced to take jobs that have nothing to do with what their minds trained for.
Over the years as I try to maintain relevance in my field now it seems the new plan is go back to college and roll the dice with more potential debt? Hopefully that time you pick the correct field that now at retirement age you are expected to be paying loans? And working 🤔

Or accept your loans losses from higher education and settle for something less that pays less and just be happy you got a random job anywhere...

It seems these business are in it for themselves. And that is fine because that seems to be how business works here.

It is just sad when the business is based on faulty supports for dreams that for many become the opposite as more awareness is obtained.

Good luck to those exposed and to become exposed.

<< 1   >>

join