It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Trails, Missy

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I just said farewell to my street kitty.

Missy was one of those cats who adopts you. About a year before we moved out of our apartment, a yearling stray showed up with the ferals around the complex. She didn't really fit in with them and she seemed to be about half socialized, always flirting with letting people touch without quite letting you do it.

Long story short, she decided she WOULD move in with us, even though we already had three cats, one more than we were technically allowed to have. At the time, we thought we would bring her in, vet her up, and find some sucker who wanted a nice cat. She was a pretty, long-haired tortie and we figured it would be an easy thing to do. We'd done it with one or two of the complex strays before.

Then ... we found out what her personality was like, and realized that no one in their right mind would adopt her.

So we were stuck.

Missy was never very friendly. Oh, sure, she came around for her attention when she wanted it, but as soon as she was done, she started mouthing or would take a swipe with just enough claw to let you know she was DONE. She might or might not move off your lap though.

You could pick her up, even carry her, but you had to make your arms a shelf. If you tried to restrain her, she went nuts although my husband could flip her over on her back and get her to settle a bit so long as he let her chew on his hand and growl real loud. If you went to move her from where she was intent to be, you had to just do it. She would growl, mouth your hand and set claws like she was about to take you to the woodshed, but she never did. It was more about making a big show that she could. But it was scary if you didn't know what she was about.

Still I sit here shedding some tears, knowing that despite her cantankerous ways, I will very much miss her.

RIP Missy. I hope what lies beyond for kitties welcomes your curmudgeonly ways and that you feel better soon.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I'm sorry that you lost your friend. She sounds like she was a good cat.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You gave another creature a good life.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

She was battling hyperthroid for the past year and a half.

We knew this spring when instead of shedding her hair all matted that this was likely her last summer. I wish she would have let us help her get the mats out, but she went nuts at the mere site of a grooming tool headed in her direction. We managed to get the topside mats, but she still had some big ones on her chest and belly.

She's been sliding and getting thinner despite meds all summer, so this isn't a surprise.

It's basically been a matter of waiting for her to signal that she's ready. I feel bad though because we basically took a skeleton in to the vet. But she was acting like her regular self up until a week or so ago, and then we would have taken her but we had a few large bills and another cat who stopped peeing and ate up our ready cash. And she was still eating, drinking, coming for scratches, etc. So we waited a bit longer.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I'm so sorry, ket... It's wonderful that you accepted her for who she was, and cared for her, even though she didn't seem to appreciate it much... I'm sure she did, though.

We also had a stray (outside) cat adopt us. She wouldn't come in the house for anything, but left rabbit, rat and mouse carcasses on our front porch... We had many good years with her and miss her now that she's gone.

RIP Missy (and Bonzie).

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That was one of the surprising things about her. She had lived outside for who knows how long before we took her in, and she had plenty of opportunities to go out and get out, but she had decided she most definitely preferred being inside. In fact. at the house we have, there is a deck, and we could let her out with us while we worked on it, and she'd stay on the deck where we were and then come back in.

For a cat that had experience out of doors, living outside like she had, that's a very rare thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

She knew a good thing when she saw it. Just shows that she really did appreciate you.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'm sorry for your loss.

We also had some "difficult" cats. While we do miss them, life is a tad easier. It's an odd feeling.
Good on you for your patience and kindness.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I'm sorry for your loss.

We also had some "difficult" cats. While we do miss them, life is a tad easier. It's an odd feeling.
Good on you for your patience and kindness.

It makes life less colorful even if it is easier.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
We got adopted by a 6 month old stray 15 years ago. We moved to a new house and someone had left her behind or she was a neighborhood stray, we never knew, but the front porch of our new house was her hangout so...
She died last year, at the ripe ol' age of 15+. She was an outside cat, who was an inside cat in cold or bad weather and for her last few years, a full time indoor cat.
I firmly believe cats adopt people, not the other way around.

RIP Missy.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Still I sit here shedding some tears, knowing that despite her cantankerous ways, I will very much miss her.

RIP Missy. I hope what lies beyond for kitties welcomes your curmudgeonly ways and that you feel better soon.

The moment she crossed over. Pets have spirits, too. You spared her a more dismal end, loved her, felt her love, too.

Tears of love for loss is part of love.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Definitely. The eccentricities are what one really loves and ultimately misses about a pet or a person.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I'm sorry for your loss. Cats wih interesting personaliies are always the best ones.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

My sympathies. RIP Missy!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Sounds like Missy set the bar for independence in cats.
I'm so sorry for your loss!!

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ketsuko doesn't mention the name I gave Missy, and was on file with the vet: Salsa. She looked pretty, but packed a bite

Still adjusting to her not being around. No more cat underfoot in the kitchen, no more surprise pounce on the couch or computer chair for a quick head scratch or ear rub, then climb over to the headrest and survey her domain.

She was a handful and not the most friendly at times, but she was my cat and I miss her. Bye bye Salsa.

top topics

join