It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Globalization is a good thing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

We won't be allowed to enter space with any depth if we can't learn to solve our problems with one another.

It is an elementary solution.

Most of the foregoing arguments are limited to nationalistic and individualistic views that are not valid any longer. 'Sorry. The world has changed. It is no long you, them and us. It is only WE these days.

edit on 1-10-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

So basically, most people live on a subsistence basis and you acknowledge this is what globalization will bring to us, but you still want it?!

No thank you.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I love it when the "open minded" say globalization is obviously the next step.

Forget diversity! Forget culture!

Oh and US will lead the way!

How about we show the we can run our country first?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You guys lost .

The UK is leaving your failed experiment. Get over it.

Enjoy you rampant terrorist attacks and failing Eurozone.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

We do need a concrete set of global standards the problem is that though the UN is not the demon the right paints it to be, it has pushed and pushed it's growth to well beyond it's mandate. What we need is too utopian for where we are right now, I think, a global Constitution and a way to keep a body like the UN small and somehow beyond corruption.

Seems like pipe dream.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

You guys lost .

Well said.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: crazyewok

You guys lost .

Well said.

As if the whole damned matter is settled or will be eventually. Have you no hope for the human race as a whole except for your local, very local and immediate views?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So basically, most people live on a subsistence basis and you acknowledge this is what globalization will bring to us, but you still want it?!

No thank you.

That's an oversimplification. Yes, many people still only have barely enough to survive - it's a sad affair that this is also true in "civilised" nations like the US. Go talk to Walmart employees, for example. But in general we have done quite well in the last 500 years, both on an European and international level.

Please check this out:

So, actually, no, most people do NOT live on "subsistence" basis - they live healthy and joyful lives and the trend is "better and up", globally. As these statistics show. only wars and epedemics seem to be able to disturb this. And it was after 1945 that things really took off - is it coïncidence that that was the year the UN was founded?

I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

We do need a concrete set of global standards [...] I think, a global Constitution and a way to keep a body like the UN small and somehow beyond corruption.

The UN has people from all over the world working for them - and inevitably there are corrupt people amongst then. The same goes for, say, soccer or other major sports. Still, we don't abolish sports because there are corrupt leaders. The same should be true for globalisation.

Fact is that what we now see as something of great value - our cultural diversity - will be a thing of the past on a certain level. Like it or not, but McDonalds is everywhere, as is Coke, as is the Internet. People are now mostly free to communicate with anybody they want to, and do so. We are rapidly evolving into One and nothing can stop this.

Given that it is impossible to stop this movement, unless we stop using global exchange of information, we'd better learn to cope with it. The Brexit can not stop the globalisation either; it's not that I'm opposed to it because it can - I'm opposed to it because it can't.

Believe me, my dear friends: globalisation is a Good Thing™. We are now nations that can destroy each other, regardless where we are. With great power comes great responsibility - let's stop bickering and start cooperating on a global level. Which includes a global set of laws, that protect the rights of all humans and a system to bring democracy to all.

Either that - or chaos.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The more power and money are globalized the more a few people amass it on a global scale.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
I think you guys fear Independence.

Well beyond fear. If they could they would start putting asses up against the wall or disappearing silently in the night.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

The more power and money are globalized the more a few people amass it on a global scale.

Hear hear! And the easier it would be to impose a world dictator at some point.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The reason people fear globalization isn't so much due to globalization itself so much as the people in charge of pushing for it have done so using every underhanded tactic in the book and demonstrate their version of globalization is the bad kind rather than the good kind.

Globalization can be good or bad depending on the form it takes. The current direction and the people directing it is horrifying.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

My hope is that all countries don't have to be at war and can tolerate one another.

Not one nation, but all nations living close to harmony. I like diversity of cultures and countries balancing each other out.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Hear hear! And the easier it would be to impose a world dictator at some point.

A world dictator is like any dictator: powerless unless people follow him. Globalisation has nothing to do with "one leader", it has to do with "one world".

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Aliensun

My hope is that all countries don't have to be at war and can tolerate one another.

Not one nation, but all nations living close to harmony. I like diversity of cultures and countries balancing each other out.

One of the most striking things in the video in the OP is the observation that London - the city in which diversity and multi-culturalism rules - wanted to stay in the EU. If you know what cooperation and diversity brings you, you never want to give that up anymore.

We already have both a common global and a diverse local culture. Globally we will all be able to speak, read and write English - even the Chinese - but will also still be able to speak our own local languages. We will still have our local customs and traditions, but some of them will spread around the world - and become global customs, bound to a group, not a region. An example of this is Halloween - totally unknown in my country when I was young, but now widely celebrated.

Globalisation will erode local diversity, but may well stimulate global diversity.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If it erodes local diversity you can lose cultures.

That's a dangerous thing, the world can drift into the wrong direction if it's homogenized culture.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

If it erodes local diversity you can lose cultures.

That's a dangerous thing, the world can drift into the wrong direction if it's homogenized culture.

It can't be stopped. Pandora's box and all that.

And there is nothing to fear either. It's similar to what happened in MY country (and in many others) when we learned to build better roads: communication between various regions improved, and suddenly we heard of inventions we had never heard of before, and of customs that were unknown to us. We adapted to those quickly, as the inventions improved the quality of our lives, and some customs appealed to us. On the ohter hand the people in the other regions learned from us - and so, instead of having local culture, we established national culture.

Today we have the Internet, that informs us about other nations, customs etc. and we quickly learn to adapt customs and inventions - globally. Halloween is coming, and even if you're born in a province of China, you will probably have heard about it, and might decide to celebrate it.

It can't be stopped.

edit on 1-10-2016 by ForteanOrg because: he removed a dangling superfluous sentence

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You may think people will willingly or subconsciously homogenize, but I beg to differ. In some ways sure, we'll be able to understand more, but I that won't change who we are just by being exposed to more. I am open minded and read about different countries and their countries and think they're beautiful. But I'm still a Texan at heart. Always will be. I love mankind (most of the time haha) but I am still me, I still relate to others like me, there are subtle differences and I embrace them. That is what makes the human experience so interesting.

Well have to agree to disagree.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Globalization also includes Regime changes and World Government controlled by unelected Special Interests. Let alone Global Corporate Monopolies harvesting wealth and resources from countries to countries. So no, it is not good, unless you are a member of the Bilderbergs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join