It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bees Placed on Endangered Species List in US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
CNN

For a long time, we have been hearing about 'Colony Colapse Disorder' in regard to bees. They leave to go pollinate and they don't come back. Or they are found dead, by the truckloads.

It has been blamed on a fungus, on cell towers and a variety of other things. Regardless of the cause, they are still dying.

It is widely stated that Albert Einstein said something about bees, actually honeybeees. It has never been proven that he said this.

However, a modern scientist says something similar.

Forbes

Even if all the pollen-spreading insects did die out, it might lead to mass starvation on an unprecedented and unacceptable scale, but it probably wouldn’t be the end of mankind.

Ok, that is not much more encourageing.

Many plants would survive, though in some cases the quality of their seeds would be lower. Corn, for example, is wind pollinated, while potatoes and carrots can be grown from tubers. Leafy vegetables, such as cabbage, also grow without the need for insects.Melons, berries and fruits such as apples and pears, on the other hand, could conceivably be in trouble. Unless they get extra human help, that is. In the fruit orchards of southwest China, farmers and their children have to climb into the branches armed with pots of pollen and paintbrushes to individually pollinate each blossom because natural pollinators are rare, said Dr Pocock. This might be an impractical solution in more developed countries, which don’t have enough agricultural workers.

Millions of bees Killed by Pesticides

Recently. it has also been found that certain pesticides for Zika kill bees. The municipality is supposed to give notice and spray wen bees are in their hives or manmade quarters, asleep. Recently, that hasn't happened and a municipality sprayed too early in the morning.

Also, the chemical in the article used is dangerous to people.

Zika is a problem, but if we don't have bees, we have a worse problem.

Alternatives to mass spraying should be sought.
edit on 1-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I never, ever, ever harm a bee anymore. Bees have been on my, you touch it I'll get pissed list for awhile now. I got bees backs.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

We need bees. I have been looking at this issue a few years now.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Me too I check in on it now and then. I've been up on it before most even knew it was an issue.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Bees in general were not placed on the endangered list, only certain sub-species native to Hawaii.

sigh...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Bees in general were not placed on the endangered list, only certain sub-species native to Hawaii.

sigh...

No need to sigh. The title I used is the title of the article. We are supposed to use the title of the article.

Honeybees and bees in general have been dropping in population for about a decade. Several species of bees have now been declared as endangered. Thanks for reciting back part of the article I posted. That is a great help, possibly some people reading this thread are blind...no wait, that doesn;t make sense. Maybe they can't click on a link....umm no. That makes little sense either. How did you help, exactly?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

I actually saw more honey bees in my area this summer compared to the last 5 years or so which I thought was encouraging considering all of the bad news we've heard the last decade or two.

edit on 1-10-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

sigh...

While that's slightly better, we're probably not too far away from seeing some mainland species added as well.

I'm a bit torn on this.

While I certainly agree that many bee species need more protection, I worry that their addition to the endangered list may add troublesome "red tape" when it comes to beekeepers who are working hard to sustain colonies.

A while back I had the pleasure of attending an event with Marla Spivak as one of the featured speakers. She is a professor with the University of Minnesota's leading-edge bee program, and well worth the time to hear (you can find many videos featuring her on youtube). It's good to know that there are many bright minds hard at work trying to research and preserve what we've still got left.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

While chemicals may be a contributor to the bees demise there is a another killer .
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

How did you help, exactly?

By shining a light on the non-factor you are claiming as relevant. Also, copying he title is only applicable to breaking news topics if I'm not mistaken.

I hate sourcing a MSM source, but sometimes they just make sense.

EDIT- I do gotta give you credence on the Zika spraying aspect. That likely will kill off more natural hives even though it's "not supposed to"
edit on 1-10-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2016 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I am sure we have nothing to worry about... I mean the ever benevolent Monsatan has purchased the beelogics research and if need be can simply create new robo-bees!

Thankfully we have such environmentally concerned companies like Monsatan to put our faith into for controlling our food and our friendly bees who are dying for some unknown reason!

/sarc off

The entire Monsanto board, investors, lawyers, government shills, and the rest need to be locked up for their crimes against humanity and nature.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

Dunno if you heard, but monsanto is all but gone. Look into Bayer now.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I doubt there has ever been any difference between them, ever heard of MOBAY?

All the way back in 1954!

It is quite difficult to find any information on this joint adventure!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I have been troubled by the lack of bees. There are usually hordes around the factory. This year there were none. Zero.

I hand pollinated all of my squash and zucchini this year.

The cucumbers did fine though.

Something is really going wrong here though. I will also add that there were no wasps either.

Sad day nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

It's Glyphosate that is killing the bees and no one can stop it because Monsanto.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

It's Glyphosate that is killing the bees and no one can stop it because Monsanto.

No, farmers over using products like glyphosate is the problem.

As I'm sure you're aware, but for some reason happy to ignore, Monsanto don't hold a monopoly on glyphosate any more, and hasn't for a long time.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I never, ever, ever harm a bee anymore. Bees have been on my, you touch it I'll get pissed list for awhile now. I got bees backs.

I must confess that back at the start of spring, whilst walking the dog, I came across the a feebly moving bumblebee on the ground. So I carefully transferred it to the nearest flower. And I defy anyone to make fun of me. I love bees.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hawaiian Bees Now on Endangered Species List...Rusty Patch Bummblebee being considered

And so it begins.
The bee die off continuing made these events inevitable.

There is concern in Hawaii that if these bees completely vanish that certain native plants will also disappear....as these bees may be their only pollinators. This is the first bee to go endangered.

Federal authorities on Friday added seven yellow-faced bee species, Hawaii's only native bees, for protection under the Endangered Species Act, a first for any bees in the United States.

bigstory.ap.org...

And this bee may soon be added to the list.
How can it happen......90% of a population disappearing since the late 1990s!!!!!!!
Pesticides, loss or habitat.....what are we doing to the planet.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Wednesday proposed listing the rusty patched bumble bee, a prized but vanishing pollinator once widely found in the upper Midwest and Northeastern United States, for federal protection as an endangered species.

One of several wild bee species seen declining over the past two decades, the rusty patched bumble bee is the first in the continental United States formally proposed for listing under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.

Named for the conspicuous reddish blotch on its abdomen, the rusty patched bumble bee -- or Bombus affinis, as it is known to scientists -- has plunged in abundance and distribution by more than 90 percent since the late 1990s, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Glyphosate is a herbicide.

Farmers do use insecticides though.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Hawaii may have more endangered species than any other location on the planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join