It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a conspiracy website!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
At one point or other, ATS was promoted to the Mainstream, bringing a bunch of mainstream bozos. Maybe an attempt to discredit and derail the site.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

"alternative media" that is demonstrably worse in every way. Many alternative media sources like Infowars are an absolute joke.

Alternative media doesn't have to be Infowars. It can be news stations from other countries like NHK. They also broadcast versions in English and their news can have different angles that, at times can be more honest.

There are also plenty of smaller news sites on the internet that are legit. You don't have to get your news from CNN, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, etc.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope
Now to get shot down. Just because something is reported in the MSM does not mean it is false! Just because somebody filmed something in their bedroom and posted it on youtube ten times does not make it true!

It's about balance. It's about cross referencing. It absolutely must be about recognising the world is not the USA. By that I mean that beyond the borders of the USA there are news outlets that report things contrary to US MSM. This is how we find the truth. Cross referencing info from multiple sources especially ones whose political ideology are different.

What ATS has become is a haven for whining. People wanting a batch and moan and think the whole world is a massive lie and that nothing stated anywhere is the truth.

Oh and don't get me started with lack of logic. Some people here on ATS are thick beyond belief "but we must not say so we must respect their belief".

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathShield

Amen brother ( or sister? )

I have never seen ATS this divided. I have never seen so many blatantly take the proverbial MSM at face value.

Most of the news pieces on the election and current events are pure trash, and supposed "Skeptics" are eating it up like its the Church Comittee findings.

Being you mentioned "Church", I am finding many using political ideologies as the Puritans used religion to dictate how others should live and behave.

Politics HAVE become a religion if you ask me....

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Well D.H....you and I joined about the same time...and since? There have been a lot....and I mean a LOT...of new forums out there. The newer members dont realize we have an owner and this is a members-only forum (means to post, you join +agree to terms).

These have attracted the younger generation(fine) who elsewhere...can act and say what they want, when they want and how they want to present it. (Think TWITTER). I believe thats what changed. Look at how many never read the Ts and Cs, dont know where they are, or why they should read them.

Yesterday...I politely advised someone of a Ts and Cs violation that could get them kicked out. They said "So, what! I've been kicked out of other forums more than once!" Ha. Ha.

And that attitude has changed ATS from when we joined. Even the arguing and "say whatever the hell I want attitudes". I heard one older member say this has turned into "ATS"- Assinine Talk Subjects.

Sad...my friend....best to you...MS

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Really, I thought this was a place to discuss things that are real but not supposed to be discussed in the society we live in.

The rest is just BS and misinformation made to steer us in the wrong direction away from the truth.

Really? Where you been? You haven't see forums for UFO's? The Gray area? Skunk Works? Prophecies and Predictions, Folk Tales and Urban legends just to name a few? Have you not ever in all your time here read what those forums are here for and their rules?
So you thought conspiracies forum is for REAL and known PROVEN conspiracy theories only?

Sad you have been missing out on the true edge of mystery the stuff that is still unknown but being delved into by a few great minds.
edit on 1-10-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

If, however, you want to present an idea as reality then you must present facts.

Depends on the forum does it not?
If the guys fact is he saw a shadow person why the heck can't it present that in the proper forum without being dogged!

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Finally someone raising the gloves about this.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

What typically happens here, in truth, is less dialog on the "conspiracy" presented in a thread and more attacking the person who created the thread and/or anyone who posts positive comments in accepting the OPs stand.

ATS is a conspiracy website. It is not a "news" site, although I have learned much here.

to all.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I haven't logged in for quite a while and likely will not again for quite a while but I did want to point out one thing in relation to this... Notice the ATS logo? If you're not on the dark theme it looks a little more clear, there's a black line through it now. That, to me, says everything about this topic.

I think of ATS now as a news aggregate. What's the headline on Drudge on any given day? There's likely a thread here about it to find out what's going on. The re-posting of "news" from other sites is the vast majority of what this place is and has been for a while. Once upon a time a news source was only used to show someone was talking about it and more often than not spinning it. Then it became more common for people to start demanding sources because they either weren't bright enough to use search engines or thought they should be catered to.

Long before I actually joined this was the best CT board on the internet. It's not any more. It's more a type of all-inclusive social networking platform / here's your megaphone thing. It could be wrangled, redirected back to being a CT focused site. That wouldn't happen though. Its a smarter move, business-wise, to cater to the interests of the masses.

The really interesting CT topics are still evolving and changing like they do all the time. It's people that are changing. Folks focus on their obsessions and expose others to it at any chance they can. There can be a thread about anything from someone finding gum on their shoe to someone convinced they are possessed by the ghost of Bigfoot, it doesn't matter, there will be at least one person there to make a quick reference to politics, religion or the current social buzz words flying around. More often than not it's a very juvenile attempt at sarcasm.

Expect more of the same in the future.

edit on 1-10-2016 by Noncents because: Grammar fixes

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Why do people complain about dissenting opinions? This is a discussion board, not an agreement board.

If you post something, great, good for you. If I agree with it, I agree with it. If I don't, then I don't. Disagreement is as much a part of discussion as agreement is. Asking questions isn't a bad thing, even when the answer to those questions refutes the original idea. Or supports it.

I just don't get why people seem to think ats is here to make them feel better about their ideas. A conspiracy theory is just that: a theory. Some things are bound to support the theory, and some things are bound to refute it.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I get that.

I stay away from topics like that because I cannot contribute anything helpful.

I believe that is the best course of action for topics that I have no interest in or do not believe in.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

It's topical for me.

Typically I don't engage in topics that are highly speculative anymore.

I do have my limits though. Outright lying and misrepresenting facts for a particular agenda(especially in science-GMOs/vaccination etc.) is a sure way to get my involvement.

I don't believe in engaging in dangerous misinformation just because it's a conspiracy site. That's a terrible excuse for throwing out reason.

edit on 1 10 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
I haven't logged in for quite a while and likely will not again for quite a while but I did want to point out one thing in relation to this... Notice the ATS logo? If you're not on the dark theme it looks a little more clear, there's a black line through it now. That, to me, says everything about this topic.

I think of ATS now as a news aggregate. What's the headline on Drudge on any given day? There's likely a thread here about it to find out what's going on. The re-posting of "news" from other sites is the vast majority of what this place is and has been for a while. Once upon a time a news source was only used to show someone was talking about it and more often than not spinning it. Then it became more common for people to start demanding sources because they either weren't bright enough to use search engines or thought they should be catered to.

Long before I actually joined this was the best CT board on the internet. It's not any more. It's more a type of all-inclusive social networking platform / here's your megaphone thing. It could be wrangled, redirected back to being a CT focused site. That wouldn't happen though. Its a smarter move, business-wise, to cater to the interests of the masses.

The really interesting CT topics are still evolving and changing like they do all the time. It's people that are changing. Folks focus on their obsessions and expose others to it at any chance they can. There can be a thread about anything from someone finding gum on their shoe to someone convinced they are possessed by the ghost of Bigfoot, it doesn't matter, there will be at least one person there to make a quick reference to politics, religion or the current social buzz words flying around. More often than not it's a very juvenile attempt at sarcasm.

Expect more of the same in the future.

YUP
Posters are changing for the worse. Except for a very few exceptions there is no such animal as "cross checking facts", googling past the first page of search results on any search engine, or actually reading and quoting the actual science abstract a news story was based on.

It's all a race from headlines to posting a topic thread first.

Many CT's have been left in the dust because it's easier and more lucrative to post a YouTube than it is actually gather information and write an article. Unfortunately most people aren't going to sit thru twenty minutes of cheesy music, someones opinion brought to us from their game room and if we're lucky some CGI footage with red arrows and circles.

It doesn't help either that you have to dig thru news articles, research their bias before "maybe" using them as source material. There are lots of news outlets whose opinions I may agree with, but they are so tainted I can't use them as a source to jump off a thread. Pointless to start a thread you know will crash due to the material you used.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Now you can hardly make a thread without a link to one of these news sources without being torn apart.

The motto is Deny Ignorance.

If you want to discuss speculative ideas that is all well and good. Be mindful that speculation and brainstorming is not the same thing as research, data gathering, and theory building.

If, however, you want to present an idea as reality then you must present facts.

If you don't want your ideas "torn apart" then don't post something so easily refuted.

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Dan00

The general quality of posts in the political forums on the ATS site has been reduced along with the quality of this election cycle.

Facts have never been important in politics.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Not even one THIS IS SPARTA meme?

give me a sec....

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'll add on by mentioning how many people here have either read, contributed to or created threads regarding the presidential elections being rigged by TPTB, yet still get all upset in the midst of a who's worse Clinton/Trump post. (I'm guilty...I jumped on the Gary Johnson bandwagon hoping maybe there was a chance a real outsider could swoop in and take the country by storm).

I remember threads of people talking about how Trump was gonna win the republican nomination just so Hillary could walk in to the Oval Office because the Trumps and Clintons were so buddy buddy. Yet, those posts and ideas are all but lost despite it happening right before our very eyes.
edit on 1-10-2016 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

To be honest, and as crazy as this sounds this won't sound crazy at all, but there are a lot of members that are here strictly for the sik bantz in the politics forums and as soon as the election is over they will be gone for another 3.5 years. I don't know the number that defines "a lot" but it is reality either way. Everyone will go back to loving each other or fighting about guns/gender shortly.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Is it? you could say a part of the site is but reading the forum topics it is a part not the whole site.
Also when I first came here I was gullible and believed any old tripe as long as it was a conspiracy (moon landings especially) but after a couple of years I realized I was wrong and the NASA story was true. Thanks to the people on ATS.
I have seen this a lot lately "But you are on a conspiracy website!" that doesn't mean we have to leave our brains at the door fall for any old hoax and not call out BS when it appears.

edit on 1-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I like finding random old topics and reading them. I live in the past because I am from the future. I'm part of the long time lurker crowd, just take info at my leisure and leave my opinion under my tounge. ATS is one of the best FORUMs to me because, with the social media rise, forum sites have shut down (even news stations blocked comments, stating to bring discussion to FakeBook, I mean Facebook). So, OP, thank you for reminding me why I even found this site when I was a teenager....and I still prefer the open-minded route on any topics. Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join