It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Americans Didn't Speak English ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I love that song in German.
a reply to: alldaylong
Op? Some bands always play in their native tongue, it's a thing I've thought about also and I've found that foreign tongues tend to be more accommodating, though sometimes the song is just lost in translation so it's kept original. I always considered it a money thing, now and then you get bands playing a song in the native tongue when touring out of respect but the majority of it is played in the way that will sell albums.

Here is an example of a non-English speaking band that only plays in their native tongue... Mostly.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The German version was sooooo much better than the English , it still refreshes parts other songs cannot reach.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Selena did pretty well for herself. Even before the crossover stuff. Granted....it is regional, but nortena and latin music has been big in the US for awhile.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Forgot to add: this song is sang without language at all. One of my top 20 songs of all time:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Hey! “If Americans Didn’t Speak English?” We don’t speak English! We speak American!

a reply to: reldra

Yup, that’s the one! Thanks Reldra!

a reply to: gortex

It was one of the first dance/rock songs that would later became more popular with the Manchester scene. Some other bands tried their hand at it, like EMF. But I do not think it really hit until the Stone Roses era. People still listen to Oasis as a rock band but I still hear the dance beat sneaking in there.

And oh, that bass line is sooo catchy! Nena, you rock!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thank you reldra and TEOT, the last songs in french where really funny, made me spit my cafe au lait

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Would all of the great British Rock Bands and Rock Artists from over the years, have made it big in The U.S.? ( if at all that is )

We will never know of course.

There's always exceptions to the rule.

But in general, most of the British rock stars would have not only never made it big in the US if they didn't speak the same language... they wouldn't have even made it big in the US if they sang with a deep pom accent.

Personally, I thought this was just common acknowledged fact, rather than something that's open to debate.
edit on 30-9-2016 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Dont know...but the Beatles also recorded in German...and French. Michelle and I wanna Hold Your hand but bilingual recordings....

Additionally...all of ABBA's hits...which were dozens...were always in English and performed in English...even in their own country of Sweden. And they performed it in English I understand at home...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

We don’t speak English! We speak American!

Then you won't understand a single word i am typing .

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Additionally...all of ABBA's hits...which were dozens...were always in English and performed in English...even in their own country of Sweden. And they performed it in English I understand at home...

You can't use western Europeans as an example... All the western Europeans I've met well travelling the the tourist trail in Australia have been able to speak surprisingly fluent English.

When you ask them how they learnt such fluent English, they all say they learnt at school... but I learnt German from grade 5 to when I left school and can only count to 10 in German, I don't understand a single word when I hear Germans speak, lol.

Western Europeans are just abnormally good at speaking English... for reasons that elude me.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sprechen amerikanisch, ich verstehe dich nicht.
edit on 30-9-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I know another example, at least I know it was popular in Canada:

I was a little bit dumbfounded when I heard her singing "Ganz egal wo". It´s not all in German but a great part at the end.
Trooper da don is a local radio moderator here, he has an awesome voice.

Not bad:
Augustus, Sie Liebt Dicht and Kom Gib Meir dine hand
Augustus, Sie liebt dich und Komm´ gib mir deine Hand.

Not every word has to be written big, almost only the subjects (Hair, School)
edit on 30-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It´s because it´s much more easy to build sentences in english unlike for example in German, where you do not have the "the" but you have to learn three different forms for every subject. A nightmare for feminist. For example the hammer is male but the screw is female. the bus is male but the subway is female. In france, you can learn it as a third language in our schools if you like, has 5 different forms If I remember right.

How is the pronounciation, is it often wrong? I heard the term "oxford english". Today I heard the term "crowdbutching" in german TV, while pronouncing it "crauwdbatscher". We also invent english words like "Handy". A handy is a mobile phone.
edit on 30-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Did someone say Falco?

Es war um siebzehn hundert achtzig und es war in Wien!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Comically I always heard "I´m a virus" instead of "Amadeus" with that song.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

hot potatoes
hot potatoes
ohh ohhh
hot potatoes

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye
Mandarin is the most spoken language, don´t be fooled.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Someone told me the early USA had a vote, either to speak German or English as a nation......apparently English won out....dont know if its true tho...

Who could Forget Wayne Newton..."Dunka Shane....oh Dunka Shane".....

Or Elvis..."Um see den, um see Den, Ulm shtay to lay him douse".........Wooden Heart....from the movie GI Blues.

And Kyu Sakamoto and "Sukiyaki" (Ue o Muite Aruko) from the mid 60s.....that was a hit in English markets.

Yes "99 luft balloons" was released in German In my country.

Also "Ti Amo" by Umberto Tozzi.....was released in all its Italian glory, and was a hit.

Several old German songs of the 1960s became hits in their native language in English countries too.

Of course there was Quantum Leap in 1976 with "The Lone Ranger"....which spoke Maori language and was banned on radio. Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-kuayuwo-tamate-aturi-pukaku-piki-maunga-horonuku-pokaiawhen-uaka-tana-tahu-mataku-atanganu-akawa-miki-tora

edit on 1-10-2016 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2016 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Here in the U.K. non English speaking foreign bands have always performed in English. From what i can remember.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Edit.

I have just remembered Kraftwerk.

And forgot al about Rammstein...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join