It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Austrian politician wants Schwarzenegger stripped of citizenship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger should be stripped of his Austrian citizenship. So asserts a politician in Austria who is upset that Schwarzenegger refused clemency to a man who was executed for murder. The death penalty is not allowed in Austria.

[url=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2149&ncid=2149&e=2&u=/cpress/20050123/ca_pr_on_wo/austria_schwarzenegger]story.news.yahoo.com[/u rl]
VIENNA, Austria (AP) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger should be stripped of citizenship in his native Austria for approving the execution of a convicted killer, a leading Austrian politician said.

Peter Pilz, a top official with the environmentalist Green party, said the Austria-born Schwarzenegger no longer is worthy of citizenship in his homeland because he broke the law by approving Donald Beardslee's execution Wednesday.

Capital punishment is illegal in Austria and Schwarzenegger - who holds dual U.S.-Austrian nationality - should be stripped of his Austrian passport for "heavily damaging the reputation of the republic," Pilz said Saturday.

Pilz told Austrian news Media he had sent the country's Interior Ministry a letter formally requesting the government begin the process of terminating Schwarzenegger's citizenship.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, at least politicians are consistent across the land. What kind of political grandstanding is this? I mean really. Even if they strip Arnold's citizenship, will it even matter to him? I doubt it as he has embraced America and particularly the state of California. The Governor has done a great job to date and remains immensely popular here.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Like I said elsewhere, Arnold should renounce his dual citizenship if he wants to continue in U.S. politics. Although he likely will never become president due to the U.S. constitution, he could pursue a Senate career or other U.S. government position, and I for one would not want someone who has an affiliation with another country to be in such a position.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Imust have misunderstood something. I thougth that when You became an american citizen YOu also renouced any allegence to all other countries. Except those whos parrents are citizens [USA] and they are born in another country and at age 21 they had to choose thier country. Maybe this only applies to millitary personel thou.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karl der Grosse
Imust have misunderstood something. I thougth that when You became an american citizen YOu also renouced any allegence to all other countries. Except those whos parrents are citizens [USA] and they are born in another country and at age 21 they had to choose thier country. Maybe this only applies to millitary personel thou.

That is crazy! If that is not a doctrine of Facism, or Nazism (one or the other), then I don't know what is... There are millions of people with dual citizenship to other countries... If I moved to another country and had to renounce my homeland, I would pack up and move back. I thought we were a democracy? I guess the views and definitions of democracy are slowly changing from left to extreme right...
...renounce their homeland...
I've never heard anything so crazy! It is no wonder that our freedoms and rights are slowly disapearing over time, when their are probably many more people in this country that have these same extreme right wing views of the world... It is actually pretty scary...

new topics

top topics

join