It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is the Universe friendly? Why are we still here..?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

"Life is a Mighty Joke.

He who knows this can hardly be understood by others. He who does not know it finds himself in a state of delusion. He may ponder over this problem day and night, but will find himself incapable of knowing it. Why? People take life seriously, and God lightly; whereas we must take God seriously, and take life lightly. Then, we know that we always were the same and will ever remain the same.......the Originator of this joke. This knowledge is not achieved by reasoning. But it is the knowledge of experience."

~ Meher Baba

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Does that mean we played this joke upon ourselves and then forgot that at some level we ourselves are the punch line? Does that make any sense?

Absurd!

Is the whole thing maybe absurd?

Oh dear. Then we'd really be screwed, particularly if we cannot unravel the joke that we told ourselves in the first place. That's not funny! or is it?

Help me to understand. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

He who knows this can hardly be understood by others.

No. I mean that it will be entirely understood by others. Everyone.

Mystics are high, and full of #. Take it from me.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Anthropomorpork

I wonder if there have been millions and millions of planets and moons that have met their ends before intelligent life peered through a telescope? Imagine a cacophony of worlds being collided into or being sterilised by local novas? Or Shoemaker-Levy catastrophes that destroyed inhabited planets as their occupants watched live on their media? Gulp.

How many more have been extinguished as we drum out our opinions on the keyboards? 1, 2, 3, *gone.* 1, 2, 3, *crash.* 1, 2, 3, *radiation death.*

We're like rare mountain lilies whose existence relies upon the just so. To extend the analogy...we're almost as unwitting of the forces and probabilities surrounding us as they are.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

When do you think we'll get it?

Before a meteor strikes I hope! That would suck.

I guess timing is important.

I think I need to ponder this, smoke one and get mystic and try to run it through my noodle, compute it, then share, but what if no one laughs?

You say that everyone must get it at the same time? Why's that?

We could end up waiting an awfully long time.. say if it all ends and begins again with the full "grokking" of the joke, and by then I suppose we'll all be in on it, again and around we go in pursuit of the punchline, again..

I'm confused.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
100 years may seem like a long time for you, and thousands of years even more.

But in cosmic history it is only a blip.

Over any significant time, the odds of things happening will likely prove themselves correct.

----

Also it does help that the aliens may be protecting our planet.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

You are presupposing that some catastrophe will happen.

None will.

Due to our will.

Despite all of the odds, any odds, We Will. We always Will.

Succeeding generations of us, feeding their minds on our problems, will only know increase. Same as it's ever been.

Nothing can stop this.

When has it? In your remembrance?

edit on 30-9-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

When I was a kid I wrote a story, although to be honest I think I might have plagiarized it a bit, whereby a Jesuit monk was aboard an exploration starship to the location of the supernova of the star of Bethlehem, and when he got there, he discovered the remnant of an advanced utopian civilization who didn't make it. I was a bit of a heretic and rebel.

So you're suggesting that entire inhabited worlds might be screaming even now
? That would be terrible!

It's possible I suppose, and I guess some day, we could get bad news, unless my hypothesis continues to hold for some strange reason and we manage to discover FTL travel before we lose our moon or the sun blows us away with a bad flare.

We still appear to sit upon a cosmological evolutionary causation that has placed us in a period of relative peace.

It's still perplexing how good things generally are, considering the alternatives.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Also it does help that the aliens may be protecting our planet.

And what might their chip in our game be?

I've considered that possibility. Which may be one reason why we haven't yet mounted a defensive posture in relation to big rocks. Maybe they know it's covered and thus, nothing to worry about?

People seem pretty intent on arguing in favor of a very hostile and unfriendly universe, but doesn't that fly in the face of the present moment that it's all led up to?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Anthropomorpork

Oh Kandyyyyy

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I agree with you and that's really the premise of the thread, not that we willed it at some level per se, but that it's inevitably friendly to our existence, or we wouldn't be here.

I've noticed that people, many of them, do not care for the idea of a friendly universe that's friendly to the present moment experience that we're having, but I don't "get" the basis of their argument or bias against that idea. Is that "scientific"?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Sometimes it feels like the universe shrinks to give me a hug.

Other times the incessant stroking of the universe kind of gets under my skin and I start to feel a little suffocated, controlled, disciplined even. And trapped. But I wouldn't want to be let totally free, either. Not ever.

Most of the time I feel a loose, distant embrace... like I'm always connected, like the universe is always hugging me but not too tightly so I have room to move. I like that. I like it all really. Cause when I start to feel really disconnected, I get sad. And I don't believe in God much anymore but I do feel like whatever we are in, the machine that our universe is, it does favor us. It loves us. Because despite all the pain and suffering, here we are prospering. Population increasing. Amazing technological advances and knowledge spreading and new medicine, clean water and plumbing, and airplanes wow.

And maybe not everyone on earth has these luxuries but the fact that we have them at all and that they're growing in popularity (technology/info is spreading to more and more people all over the world), is a clear indication that we're moving in the right direction. Cause it can't all happen over night, folk. Baby steps.

And some say the "elite" want to keep these luxuries to themselves but I don't think that's really even relevant at all. Because even though the "elite" wanted to keep scrolls/books to themselves (which was a luxury back when everything was made by hand) and rejected the technology of the new moveable type printer (they called it satanic) that made printing books like 300 times easier and thus gave the public more access to that luxury? The technology still won. And the public got their books. And the "elite" had to eat their own bullsh-t off of their scrolls, the very ones that they decided had made themselves better than everyone else (which we all know isn't true anyway deep down inside). So despite the "elites" efforts of thwarting the people's plans to spread knowledge and luxury things... things are still spreading, like wildfire. And what we know now should reach everyone eventually if we just stay on course. Like ripples/waves covering the surface of the earth, it's just a matter of time. I hope. It might take a long time tho. But still, hey.

Anyway... yep. I'd say the universe likes us generally atm.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Is that "scientific"?

You are The Scientist; so, yeah, it sure is.

...but I don't "get" the basis of their argument or bias against that idea.

I do. But probably because of age and knowledge of how the "world" can work on a person. Notice that the colloquialism does not say "universe".

We are the absolute worse on ourselves and each other. In times of natural catastrophe, people do everything they can to help one another.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Our creators left us some mighty weapons to protect us, you should find this interesting

Eyewitnesses Report Ancient Alien Defense Weapons Destroy Russian Meteor
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Was the Russian Meteorite shot down by the cauldrons?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Anthropomorpork

Oh Kandyyyyy

Too much coffee for breakfast.

Sorry mate!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00

He who knows this can hardly be understood by others.

No. I mean that it will be entirely understood by others. Everyone.

Mystics are high, and full of #. Take it from me.

Can you please explain the joke to me..

Thank you.

Is it slapstick comedy or some great twist of irony?

I've heard that there are elements to a good joke

Sympathy (can relate)
Embarrassment
Surprise

If we did this all to ourselves and didn't know it, that would work.

Something about God endlessly laughing as if laughing at us, just doesn't do it for me. God is surely not an evil laugher like Satan, that's no good.

It has to be shared with everyone, I agree.

But if it's at the expense of all our prior ignorance, then that's a hard one to really get, isn't it, being as it were in our blindspot.

Gee, if we really are all of the stuff of God (all in all), then that would be embarrassing and a surprise and something that we could really relate to.

So at some level, God refuses to laugh until we get up to speed and laugh right along with him wherein God has become, our condition.

Why then does it make me want to cry at some level, if it's so funny?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

That's such a fun post.

You'll likely have to wait til way in to tomorrow for a complete response as I will have to make stuff up and apply a lot of creative writing skills.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

True. We might be reclused in this galactic backwater by something, thus far, unknown to us. That's where your thoughts are leaning and who's to say, with certainty, that we are not?

I tend towards the idea that we're outliers who are privileged to have lasted long enough to ask the big questions. I don't mean privileged in any 'third party' context or abstract value. Simply that we're here and we're currently extraordinary in the scheme of what we know.

The either/or of the possibilities are emphatically fascinating.

It does give me goosebumps when considering how this could all end. I've had this romantic image for many years now; the music of Glenn Miller fading out into space, carried afield on radio waves with a dead Earth as a backdrop.

Must have dreamt it many years ago as this one Miller track has always touched a raw nerve

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
While I personally believe in divine oversight, the dinosaurs ruled for over 100 million years and then they were wiped out. And if I'm consistent they were wiped out with divine providence, so I'm just throwing that out there.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Your post reminds me of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's "Omega Point" hypothesis.

He was a Jesuit Paleontologist (of all things) and when he was digging around in his bones, he had an epiphany where because the world was round, that the next step in our evolution as a species would involve the sharing of ideas at the speed of light unto a critical mass - Omega Point - upon which our species would come to harness the energies of love, for God, and also gravity and all the forces of nature including the winds and the tides and the sun's energy, and at that moment, even though it might accompany growing pains or birth pangs, a novel form of human societal evolution would encircle the globe, and the idea itself would form a new kind of DNA to then bring us all to some sort of singularity of love, because he too believed in the fundamental kindness and goodness of God in his love for the world by virtue of it's own inclusion including our own within it. He suddenly realized that the Omega Point of a global transformation in human consciousness was inevitable.

This is a wholly optimistic worldview. It may be the only reasonable view to take in the final analysis, since cynicism and angst is so yesterday, so two minutes ago to quote Terrance McKenna.

The dreamer's dream then becomes the dream of both the young and the old.

It's a sweet dream, within the context of a loving universe.

Thus, the potential for playfulness, cuteness, loving-kindness, and everything that's worthwhile in life.

Oh a happy ending where we might have the luxury to finally take the time to get the joke before it's too late - that would be worth giving one's life to uphold.

Could we, our "will" be somehow involved in a new form of evolution?

That would be cool.

The poor cynics though, what are they to do when it was a joke that we were all supposed to get simultaneously..!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

If we did this all to ourselves and didn't know it, that would work.

We know it.

I've heard that there are elements to a good joke

Embarrassment

Unfortunately, by nature or nurture, the first response of just about everyone to being embarrassed is anger.

Could be part of the joke. I'm not sure.

Tomorrow then.

ETA: Sorry. I'm being cryptic, and I promised that I wouldn't be.

I honestly think that a great deal of society's, all societies, problems comes from a misplaced sense of embarrassment.

Good call, OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join