It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Universe friendly? Why are we still here..?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Do you ever stop to think about that?

No meteor has wiped us out, the Earth hasn't passed through any harmful space debris to kill us, nuclear war seems to have been averted (touch wood), no black holes or rogue stars perturbating the Oort Cloud, the sun is stable, as we spiral through the cosmos unmolested, with birds chirping merrily away to the sound of a bubbling brook, and human laughter..

I often am surprise at myself that I am still alive and kicking, for the time being, but when I move the frame and context outwardly, it just seems rather astonishing that everything's AOK.

The sky hasn't fallen, but why not?

Maybe it's just me but it appears that the universe is very friendly to us during this particular epoch in cosmic evolutionary history, and I for one am grateful for that.

But it really shouldn't be so "safe" should it? And yet it is, or we would not be here and I wouldn't be typing this sentence nor you, reading it.

People like to argue that the universe is very very hostile and impersonal, as they type from the comfort of their home office..

I think it's an interesting idea worthy of contemplation.

It generates a nice feeling inside, that the whole cosmos seems to have conspired to make this possible in a way and a manner that's really quite friendly to the human experience at this present time (touch wood).

What are your thoughts?

And when you view it from the unique perspective of your own personal experience, doesn't it seem to be friendly, maybe even playful and in some indescribable way, cute?

Best regards,

Ankh

edit on 30-9-2016 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

We have the privilege of asking such a question during friendly times only.

We've only been here a brief period in the planet's history; this was our time to thrive. Who knows when that will change. It will change.

Ask the dinosaurs how friendly the cosmos is.

I personally find the universe is hardset on my lifelong torment. That also will change in time.

edit on 30-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Is the Universe friendly? Why are we still here..?

we still

Will.

edit on 30-9-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm sorry to hear that you have a lifelong torment and I won't ask unless you're comfortable sharing.

As to this friendly moment, I understand what you're saying, but it's also important to consider that the present, friendly moment, sits atop the entire causation from the beginning of time..

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Well, look at our moon...absolutely pock marked with impacts that may have been intended for the earth. Granted, modern day impacts are hardly noted, but there may be some relevance to an "orbiting shield" so to speak. There is evidence on this planet that we dodge many events, but we have taken several major hits thorought history even though.
We like to think we're special, and technically, we are in our solar system. However, we are not in "a bubble" of safety, and yes, the universe is extremely hostile.
If we our struck or misaligned or even targeted, it's simply a matter of equations and likely scenarios that humbles our blue world amongst that vastness of space.

I'm personally comfortable with whatever may come. This isn't the only plane of reality... we have much more to explore and experience ahead of death.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

There is ample evidence that the Universe is not, in any way, "friendly"--anything but.

It's just that it's so frickin' big, that we're bound to go long periods of time with out catching all sorts of havoc.

It's only a matter of time.

Cheerful topic...

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Dan00
Are you suggesting we willed it?

I had nothing to do with it! as far as I know.., and if there was a destruct button that would be hard to avoid pressing just to see what happens..

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Well...

Unless the universe just liked us more than the dinosaurs, or Earth more than Mars, or whatever such and such.

Such anthrocentric views are probably wishful thinking.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I had nothing to do with it!

We have all had everything to do with it.

*shrug*

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think all the evidence shows that it is (friendly). Hang on, just checking... (looks around). Yep, friendly as can be.

You might have missed the point in a way, in so far as our own presence sitting atop the totality of comic evolutionary history reveals that indeed the universe is and must be friendly to the experience of this present moment, which has certainly taken a long time to get here.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

havoc...

It's only a matter of time.

All the reason I need to call in sick to work tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork
a reply to: seagull

sitting atop the totality of comic evolutionary history

Not even a typo in my opinion.

link   
a reply to: Dan00

Do you suspect that there's a very good joke to be had in it all, that most if not almost all of us, have missed?

Could you elaborate on precisely what you mean? Are you speaking from a sort of Buddhist perspective?

link   

Have you ever heard or read any where that
" A more perfect question could not be asked for "?
If not, then I just made it up!

edit on Ram93016v18201600000015 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

"sitting atop the totality of comic evolutionary history"

Not even a typo in my opinion.

Hmmph, that's interesting. I already answered my own question about the joke even before I posed it.. oh dear!

Maybe the joke is on ME?!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

While I cannot agree the universe is friendly, I can definitely say it has a sense of humor!

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I often am surprise at myself that I am still alive and kicking, for the time being, but when I move the frame and context outwardly, it just seems rather astonishing that everything's AOK.

There are many who would disagree with you. Yes, you are lucky. Many others, not so much.
tibettruth.files.wordpress.com...
www.tntmagazine.com...
edit on 9/30/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Isn't this all just from our scope of time? I mean in the grand scheme of the universe we've barely been here between a blinking of an eye.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

While I cannot agree the universe is friendly, I can definitely say it has a sense of humor!

Good good. Lose that and it's all over.

Edit: Oh you meant the universe's sense of humor?

Probably the same difference, and we are definitely a part of the universe universing.

Any good joke needs an audience of course, but it's not always easy understanding the true nature of this particular one.

Does anyone "get it"?

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Do you suspect that there's a very good joke to be had in it all, that most if not almost all of us, have missed?

Wow, great question. That seems to be the upshot from the greatest philosophers following Plato to the present. Even Derrida made room for that seeming inevitability.

Is it still a joke if it gets missed? Even by everyone? I don't think it'll be a joke, I think it will be a funny beginning, and everyone will get it at the same time.

Could you elaborate on precisely what you mean?

Sure, I mean that it's the gravity of all of our lives that holds it all together........Christ! Just looked above and this is Skunk Wurx!

NM

Are you speaking from a sort of Buddhist perspective?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join