It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraq Insurgents Say They Have Freed 8 Chinese Hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Insurgents in Iraq claimed to have released the eight Chinese laborers that had been taken hostage earlier in the month. A video released showed a man with his head covered shaking hands with each of them as they were led out of the camera frame. The Chinese Embassy in Iraq has confirmed that they have been freed, but has not been able to locate them.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Insurgents in Iraq said they released eight Chinese hostages on Saturday, as an Islamist militant group said it had shot dead 15 kidnapped Iraqi soldiers in continued violence ahead of this month's election.

A leader of Iraq's Shi'ite community said his supporters would not be drawn into civil war despite being targeted by mainly Sunni militants, and the interim government announced extraordinary security measures for the Jan. 30 vote.

A video produced by insurgents and seen by Reuters showed the eight Chinese laborers kidnapped earlier this month standing or kneeling in the desert holding their passports.

A man with his face covered by a traditional checkered headdress shook hands with each of them before they walked off camera. The speaker on the tape said they were being released.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was a bit surprising in a few areas to me. I thought that China was not providing laborers in the Iraq area. This obviously was wrong, but given thier lack of support for the war, perhaps it was just a foreign firm that had employed them to work there. The other is why they were released. I doubt highly that China would do a deal with the insurgents and the Insurgents would not just let them go if such a deal was made. I am glad that they were not killed however, but the behavior of the insurgents remains puzzling nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I saw that video, it was a bit creepy.

The AP video below shows the release of the hostages at the end of the clip:
0122iraq_violence_300.wmv

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yeah it was, It kind of remined me of the look on that boys face before Desert Storm I when Saddam held that British boy on his lap. He had the same terrified look on his face too.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Yeah it was, It kind of remined me of the look on that boys face before Desert Storm I when Saddam held that British boy on his lap. He had the same terrified look on his face too.

I read some Chinese reports about these eight guys, they are from Fujan province. I have to let you know, 90% of Chinese smuggler in the world are from Fujan. I heard because the tension between China and taiwan and Fujian is the frontline, in last 20 years, almost not much economic development there compared to many other provinces in China. It is little sad, these people are really poor and collect lots money to the smuggler head, and the head told them "find oil job like gold' in the mideast, they even donot know where is Iraq and a war there.

top topics

join