It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi Interior Minister Refuses to Say Whether Al-Zarqawi Is in Custody

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The Interior Minister of Iraq, Falah al-Naqib stated today that he refused to comment on the rumors of Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi, the terrorist leader, capture earlier this month. The Minister stated that perhaps he will make a comment in a few days, neither clarifying or dispelling the rumors. Rumors of Al-Zarqawi capture and perhaps mistaken release has been circulating in Iraq and even on the web.

ap.tbo.com
"I wouldn't like to comment for the time being," Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said when asked about rumors that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had been arrested. "Let's see. Maybe in the next few days we will make a comment about it."

Pressing him, a reporter asked, "Does that mean he is in custody?"

"No comment," the minister repeated, although he said that arrest warrants had been issued for al-Zarqawi and several officials from Saddam Hussein's regime, including Saddam deputy Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri and the ousted leader's half brother, Sabaawi al-Hassan.

The rumors followed an interview aired on an Arab television station earlier this month in which a Saudi man arrested for a deadly truck bombing claimed that he heard from other insurgents that al-Zarqawi had been arrested by Iraqi police in Fallujah but released because authorities didn't recognize him.

Rumors spread that Iraqi authorities had al-Zarqawi in custody but were waiting to announce it just before the Jan. 30 elections.

Al-Zarqawi, the leader of Iraq's al-Qaida affiliate, has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks on U.S. and Iraqi forces, along with the kidnappings and the beheadings of several foreigners, including Americans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems a little odd, that this story is in the news again, earlier this month when rumor circulated about Al-Zarqawi's capture, there was no denial or confirmation, yet just recently the elusive Al-Zarqawi allegedly released another tape to incite his followers. The timing and unclarity of the minister's words is very suspect and it seems some sort of physcological operation may be under way as we get closer to the Iraqi elections.

Related ATSNN Articles:
TERRORISM: Unconfirmed report of Zarqawi capture

[edit on 1-22-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Could be as you said, Psyops to demoralize the insurgents prior to the elections, or they do have him on ice and plan to trot him out in a few days. I think its more likely the latter IMHO. To show him now would touch off a wave of attacks so i doubt that they have him.

On the otherhand keeping him on Ice unitll after the election would give the government an "October Surprise" ala Reagan to start thier governemnt off with some more credibility??

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think we're going to continue to see pysops from both sides, with more tapes from Al-Qaeda in the next week or so and more cryptic messages from the Coalition backed Iraqis'. And of course the constant terror attacks that we are all becoming so used to that they don't even make coverage on ATSNN anymore.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
As WorldWatcher says, he just released an audio tape a couple of days ago (link) .

I doubt this is legit.
Even if it were, I don't think it will calm down the insurgency.
I remember they were hoping the capture of Saddam would stop the insurgency but it didn't.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Several of his recordings were proven fake by voice analysis. The reports on the ground say he's been dead over a year. He has an ill-fitting fake leg. It is longer than his other leg and he has a hard time getting around. No one in any video that purports to be him has this feature. Zarqawi is the same as Bin Laden, a deceased boogeyman who is kept alive to use as justification to continue an occupation.

top topics

join