It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Bhutan; 1st SmokeFree Nation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I for one aplaud the Bhutanese government for doing it.

Me too. It could show future generations what laws should be. In ~10 years, examinations of the public health in Bhutan will probably show a remarkably big change, in the good way!

While I do believe in freedom of choice, I also believe that things that hurt your body like Tobacco, Alchohol and drugs should not be classified as a freedom.

Alchohol, in small ammounts, is actually good for your body-health research has shown. (And I like to get drunk ~4 times a year! :roll
But otherwise, I agree on your opinions.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
england has plans that by 2008 i think all public places it will be illegal to smoke. i think it means that the only place people will be aloud to smoke is in their own homes, or maybe in their garden...anywhere else then they'll get their ass kicked.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
It would never work in our society, as soon as its banned its going to go onto the black market and increase crime, and not to mention the public outcry.

How? Prohibition of alcohol resulted in a rum running mob, but thats because there were foreign companies producing alcohol, and because it could be produced locally and covertly. How are cigarettes going to be produced if they are outlawed in the US and the tobacoo companies are broken up? Certianly not on the same scale as alcohol I should think.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I am not a smoker.... I have never even tried it, ( except all the second hand smoke from years of living at home with 2 parents who smoked )...

that being said...

I do not agree with smoking bans.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that I want to get for my dad...

it said : I CAN STILL SMOKE IN MY CAR !

Pretty soon, that will be banned too... what a world...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
chris rock - ''smoking's so dangerous it kills mother f**ckers that don't even smoke''.

for a comedian chris rock has alot of truths to say, and alot of answers to give. smoking is the biggest threat known, apart from ourselves of course(nuclear war). however, other than war, smoking would be the biggest threat. you don't even have to smoke to enhale someone else 2nd hand smoke and then get cancer from that...i remember some famous guy who never smoked but spent alot of time doing comedy stand ups in pubs/clubs and his lungs were that of someone who had been smoking for 30 years or so. smoking should be outright banned, in no way is it good for you...your paying to be more addicted and paying to kill yourself. i no some people started up in the war because they were given cigarretes basicaly as something to do, yet today you get kids as young as 12, 13 or 14 starting up. standing around spitting, because they no it tastes like s**t but want to do it cause it looks cool. those kids aren't even addicted, they don't even know the meaning of the word..but if they carry on being cool like that then eventually they do become addicted.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by shaunybaby]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I dont think I'll go to Bhuutan if HomoSexuality is forbidden, I wont go to any country where there is not freedom for everyone no matter what, its bad enough I have to live here in America.

Umm, no you don't, unless you're still under your parent's control. But as soon as you turn 18 you're free to leave. I doubt you'll even be missed. There are literally millions waiting to take your place here in America.

Have a good (one-way) trip.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i'd be more concerned about people trying to capture me and cook me for dinner than dying of cigarettes if i lived in bhutan

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

How? Prohibition of alcohol resulted in a rum running mob, but thats because there were foreign companies producing alcohol, and because it could be produced locally and covertly. How are cigarettes going to be produced if they are outlawed in the US and the tobacoo companies are broken up? Certianly not on the same scale as alcohol I should think.

It would be produced the same way Coca and pot are produced we dont have any Cocaine companies in the US but loads of the stuff finds its way here every day.

You would just find countries like Colombia that would start growing some Tobacco as well. They already have a network that has proven unstoppable and could easliy be used to traffic Tobacco if there was demand.

It really comes down to demand if there was as much demand for illegal Tobacco as there was for illegal alchol it would be on the same scale. Its already proven they can get whatever people want in America into the the country you would just make awhole lot more criminal to crowd our already crowded prisons.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
it has too much economic power to be banned. To anyone who has ever studied Bhutanese culture this comes as no suprise, they are non-conformists to the rules of what modern society views government should be.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeticha
i'd be more concerned about people trying to capture me and cook me for dinner than dying of cigarettes if i lived in bhutan
Judging from your avatar, you dont look very tasty.
- no need to worry

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Js,
Your right I cant leave since I'm considered biophysicly underage (though not mentally), I'll most likely stay in america for a few decades before I move, The only way I'd stay is if there was alot of retrofitting to the laws and some destroyed and some new ones made.

I personaly think America should shut its doors for five years and stop giving money to all these countries and use that money for Americans, I mean look how many homeless we have, alot of our veterans the defenders of are freedom are homeless, however giving money to countries that really need it I agree with.
Well I've gotten off topic, so I'll shut up for awhile (On this topic at least).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join