It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enjoy Earth While It Lasts: Atmospheric Carbon Levels Pass the Point of No Return

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Greven
Not to the extent others seem to believe. I believe that sufficiently high carbon dioxide levels could lead to a slight temperature increase, but I also believe that the present natural control systems are sufficient to handle the levels we are experiencing with no concern.

That is consistent with the basic laws of physics.

I tire of the other discussion at this point. You can read up on it if you want:
Decade-long soil nitrogen constraint on the CO2 fertilization of plant biomass
Plant growth enhancement by elevated CO2 eliminated by joint water and nitrogen limitation

Of this one, however:

originally posted by: Greven
That's only a partial representation of humanity's estimated emissions for the year, since the biosphere is still acting as a net sink. An increase in CO2 concentrations has been observed in real life conditions to reradiate thermal energy back to the surface:

The result is two time-series from two very different locations. Each series spans from 2000 to the end of 2010, and includes 3300 measurements from Alaska and 8300 measurements from Oklahoma obtained on a near-daily basis.

Both series showed the same trend: atmospheric CO2 emitted an increasing amount of infrared energy, to the tune of 0.2 Watts per square meter per decade. This increase is about ten percent of the trend from all sources of infrared energy such as clouds and water vapor.

You'll note two things there:
1) +0.2 W/m^2 increase per decade directly attributable to CO2
2) 10% of the overall trend is directly attributable to CO2 (ie: +2.0 W/m^2 total over a decade)
Oh, by the way, an increase of 1ºC is estimated to require an increase of 3.7 W/m^2.

Historical annual averages for atmospheric CO2 from start to end:
2000 - 368.2 ppm
2010 - 388.26 ppm

(post by WeAre0ne removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: schuyler

How dramatic! Are you seriously telling us that the level of CO2 in the Apollo 13 capsule was ANYWHERE near equivalent to an increase in the planet's CO2?

Sorry someone wasn't getting enough attention.

That would be yourself, I imagine. Your comparison was inane at best, no matter what it was "in response" to. The amount of CO2 potentially available in the Apollo 13 space capsule enough to cause death has NO RELATION WHATSOEVER to planetary CO2. You exaggerated by 1,000 times.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Thanks for the compliment.

At least I don't run around with my hair all on fire thinking the planet is out to get me.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It's not the planet out to get you. It's humanity's blatant disregard for the extremely fragile environment they live in, that is out to get you.

It's like you and many others don't understand the only reason you are alive is because Earth somehow managed to get to a perfect temperature (not too hot, not too cold) to allow liquid water, and eventually life. There are many things that can destroy that perfect balance. That perfect balance is not easy to find or replicate either, which is quite evident when you study the heavens above.

The main reason we have a perfect balance is because of the atmosphere we are lucky to have, and the greenhouse effect it provides us. Without it, we would be too cold and freeze to death at night, and burn to death from the heat in the day. The crazy part? Humanity is actively changing the very thing that keeps them alive with their machines and activities, and there is no stopping in sight.

Sure the Earth has various natural processes that involve a certain amount CO2, and allows it to store and temporarily contain CO2, but those all have known limits. The very fact that we are measuring an increase in CO2 levels means those natural processes may already be at their limits. Yes, a lot of things on Earth require CO2 in order for them to exist. But, above all, they need to be the right temperature first.

By studying other lifeless planets, we pretty much know our fate. But here you are scared about paying taxes, or changing your ways, which won't exist in the end.

Therefor you received my compliment - you are the problem.
edit on 2-10-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

It's like you and many others don't understand the only reason you are alive is because Earth somehow managed to get to a perfect temperature (not too hot, not too cold) to allow liquid water, and eventually life.

Actually the only reason ANY of us are here is because the EARTHS constant state of motion called climate change.

That for eons created life, and destroyed life to make way for NEW ones to come to pass.

Some call it a evolutionary process.

By studying other lifeless planets, we pretty much know our fate. But here you are scared about paying taxes, or changing your ways, which won't exist in the end.

HERE i am speaking against totalitarianism, and not IGNORING green legislation,and government agencies have existed for over the last 5 decades.

But who cares.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Watch this, then come back and tell me about how we're all gonna die.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Actually the only reason ANY of us are here is because the EARTHS constant state of motion called climate change.
That for eons created life, and destroyed life to make way for NEW ones to come to pass.
Some call it a evolutionary process.

The only reason Earth has any climate change is because of our atmosphere! Which humanity is changing and toying with...

Sure, if you remove humans from the Earth it will still go through some climate changes based on natural events that take place on its own. Meteor impacts, volcano eruptions, Sun output changes, and or huge releases of greenhouse gases from the bowels of Earth... These events can change the climate of Earth, and happen naturally, but they are temporary. Once the event is over Earth seems to recover naturally...

However, Earth is currently undergoing a new event... that event is call "humanity". The difference is, humanity is not exactly temporary at the moment, humanity is on-going. This means the Earth can not recover until humans are gone and or stop their idiotic activities.

HERE i am speaking against totalitarianism, and not IGNORING green legislation,and government agencies have existed for over the last 5 decades.

But who cares.

Here you are speaking against crap that doesn't matter.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Here you are speaking against crap that doesn't matter.

Oh it matters for people like coal miners that get put out of work, and destroying trillion dollar industries.

It matters to people like farmers to where their farmland that has been farmed for over 100 years get turned in to 'wetlands'.

It matters to even more farmers when a man made drainage ditch gets classified as a 'protected' waterway.

The only crap here is from the global warming crowd. That seems the only thing they say is the end is nigh, and offer NO solutions.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the compliment.

At least I don't run around with my hair all on fire thinking the planet is out to get me.

Instead you say stuff like this:

Tell that to the astronauts of Apollo 13 that nearly DIED from that 'neutrality'.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Oh it matters for people like coal miners that get put out of work, and destroying trillion dollar industries.

Those coal miners wont be alive to care if we don't change. Finding a new job is not the end of the world. Trillion dollar industries die all the time. Just like the asbestos industry died when we all found out it causes cancer. Coal will eventually die when we people realize its causing our planet to change and kill us all.

It matters to people like farmers to where their farmland that has been farmed for over 100 years get turned in to 'wetlands'.
It matters to even more farmers when a man made drainage ditch gets classified as a 'protected' waterway.

Those farmers will not even be able to grow anything if we force our climate to change to a certain point. Do you even realize how many California farms that have been around for decades have already had to shut down because it's now too hot to grow their crop of choice and they don't have water? The heat is causing droughts and they can't even water their farms... let alone water them enough before the Sun evaporates the water out of the ground...

None of the farms will exist unless we do something about our excessive greenhouse gas emissions.

The only crap here is from the global warming crowd. That seems the only thing they say is the end is nigh, and offer NO solutions.

We have solutions. Reduce our carbon footprint. Done and done. But people like you don't want to change ways, or force people to change their footprint because you are scared of losing jobs and farms.

We have to make sacrifices to stay alive.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I know what I said.

Don't know what the PROBLEM is.

Although apollo 13 is a rather fitting analogy to the whole 'climate change' HOAX.

Trying to jerry rig a solution with a bunch of miss matched parts made to do a specific job.

The jobs plants, trees, and other vegetation.

So MOVE ON.
edit on 2-10-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You know what you remind me of? While you complain about jobs, and laws, and trillion dollar industries...

You are like a materialistic snob on a sinking ship. So worried about losing your possessions and disrupting your afternoon. While the water is up to your neck, you are still trying to gather all your belongings in a bag to save them. Not realizing none of those belongings will matter if you don't get off the ship on time, because you'll be dead.

People like you will eventually be dead at the bottom of the ocean, still clutching the things that used to have meaning.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

And yet I am not the one trying to CONTROL the entire planet.

And EVERY facet of our lives.

UNLIKE the materialistic,GREEDY global warming crowd who thinks they OWN everything.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Invisible CO2 Gas Killing Trees at Mammoth Mountain, California
pubs.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
We need to fine all these damn volcanos for billions, they owe it for the emissions!!

If they don't pay we should nuke one with a B-2 to show them we mean business!

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

And yet I am not the one trying to CONTROL the entire planet.

And EVERY facet of our lives.

UNLIKE the materialistic,GREEDY global warming crowd who thinks they OWN everything.

You are not trying, but you are controlling the entire planet.

Every time you deny AGW, and continue your excessive greenhouse gas emissions, you are destroying MY atmosphere. You are destroying MY climate. You are destroying the entire Earth.

It goes both ways you blind fool.

(post by WeAre0ne removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Stick to the topic WAO, next explain to us how we will hold the Sun accountable for climate change. Sanctions? Laws? Fines? Loss of freedom? What will you do to our star?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals
The sun has been "cooling" (but not so much you would notice) for 30 years. How does that account for the rising temperatures over that period?

edit on 10/2/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join