It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Transit Train Has Crashed into Station in Hoboken: Injuries Reported-Mass Casualties

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Reply To: Augustus Masonicus

NTSB Press Conference:

'GO team" has been sent, is on the way. Deparment of Diaster Assistance will be involved. Folllow on NTSB.gov or twitter NTSB_newsroom. Human factors, mechanical and speed will be looked at.

1- Will Positive Train Control be looked at? Yes

2- How many people killed or injured? They will look to local authorities for that.

3- Will they look at 2011 crash and compare? yes.

There may be another briefing later.

They did not say much.

Added by WABC: Positive train control does not exist in this train terminal and many others. PTC does not work at low speeds, so it is not used in this terminal.
edit on 29-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow. This proves that trains are inherently safe..

Accidents happen. I'm glad that the death was minimal.

Trains are heavy, they are slow moving Goliath's. Billions of people have utilized their convenience in their daily lives.

I am amazed by the pictures of the damage. It is unbelievable just how much damage it caused with such a minimal cost of life..

I only hope the Trump train is as efficient.

All aboard!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Don't really need political comments in here.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The one death the state admits is a woman who was standing on the platform. It conflicts with the medical examiner and a hospital offical that told MSNBC 3 deaths (see OP). I find this odd

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the update. More than a little obvious they have no clue what was going on at the time. I'm sure the conductor is going to have a lengthy chat with investigators (he's not the/one of the deceased, right?)

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Don't reall need political comments in here.

You had to have expected a political jab wormed in at some point.
edit on 9/29/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

The one death the state admits is a woman who was standing on the platform. It conflicts with the medical examiner and a hospital offical that told MSNBC 3 deaths (see OP). I find this odd

Most likely, they aren't confirming the other 2 yet because next of kin have not been notified.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

www.dailymail.co.uk...

witnesses say the driver of the train was found slumped at the controls. but he did survive..the train was lacking an automatic function that would slow it down into the station

the speculation...heart attack, asleep, not paying attention......

many pics posted in the link
edit on 29-9-2016 by research100 because: added space

edit on 29-9-2016 by research100 because: fixed the wrong link

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I thought everything was political.

Can't help but consider what other news is being sidelined for this story. Most train accidents are environmental nightmares with effects that endure. Though the loss of life is tragic, the lasting effects of this accident are trivial.

Only tangentially interesting really.
edit on 29-9-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

That links to this thread?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

sorry...thanks for bringing that to my attention...I fixed and put the right link in my above post!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but back when I used to work for the the railroad on passenger and freight trains I learned all about the air break system.

If anything goes wrong generally the entire train goes into what's called emergency where every single functioning break locks up in order to stop the train as fast as possible.

I guess for whatever reason that didn't happen here? That's kind of surprising, I wonder why?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Someone needs to engage the emergency break. With no PTC in the terminal this would not occur automatically.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: GoShredAK

Someone needs to engage the emergency break. With no PTC in the terminal this would not occur automatically.

Unless the line breaks In between any of the cars, then the breaks go into emergency automatically.

I guess whatever happened happened right at the the end of the track at the terminal.
edit on 29-9-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

ETA: Or the airlines simply were not coupled securely
edit on 29-9-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Unless the line breaks I between any of the cars, then the breaks go into emergency automatically.

Correct. Based on what we know so far there was no break in the lines to cause the emergency air brake to engage.

I guess whatever happened happened right at the the end of the track at the terminal.

There are a large amount of double slips and turnouts in the yard throat that would make it difficult to come through the entire yard at high speed but it would not be impossible.

edit on 29-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If there is any change in air pressure through the entire air break system the train will go into emergency automatically.

I have been on one when it happens, it is very abrupt and jolting.

The safety culture and safety protocols on trains is incredibly strict and detailed. Things like this should not just happen.

Granted, I am not familiar with these trains.

Is it a classic passenger train that runs the rails throughput the city, or is it a subway?

I am speaking for a typical passenger train...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

www.dailymail.co.uk...

witnesses say the driver of the train was found slumped at the controls. but he did survive..the train was lacking an automatic function that would slow it down into the station

the speculation...heart attack, asleep, not paying attention......

many pics posted in the link

Very interesting.

The train was "standing room only" which is very typical of NJ Transit.

There are emergency breaks at the front and rear of each car, but since the trains were packed full, the conductors on the train probably weren't able to get to those breaks. There are usually 1-2 conductors on the train collecting tickets, but often times when the trains are packed they don't even bother to collect the tickets because they can't get past all the people...

edit on 29-9-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Ahhh...i see

Just throwing this out there fwiw

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle
The engineer has a red emergency button right there with their controls, generally speaking.
And yes there should be a few of them spread throughout the cars as well. Just not where a passenger can get to it.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Is it a classic passenger train that runs the rails throughput the city, or is it a subway?

I am speaking for a typical passenger train...

It is heavy rail. Mostly grade separated the closer you get to New York and Hoboken.

It has your standard braking system that keeps the brakes open with air pressure so if there is a drop they apply. It is not like the overspeed emergency brake lever under the rail on the subway which trips if you blow through a red.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

And yes there should be a few of them spread throughout the cars as well. Just not where a passenger can get to it.

These are the older Comet cars so they are in the vestibules of each coach.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join